Armstrong... oh dear!!!

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Vintage, Jul 18, 2003.

  1. Vintage

    Vintage Guest

    Jan Ullrich beat Lance Armstrong more than a minute!!! Imagine what if his team Bianchi never lost
    time to USPS in TTT. Armstrong at this point reminded me of when the old clunker Bernard Hinault was
    trying to win his last tour de france. C'mon LA, what's wrong with you! Don't give up!!! Go
    Posties...

    Tags:

  2. "vintage" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Jan Ullrich beat Lance Armstrong more than a minute!!! Imagine what if his team Bianchi never lost
    > time to USPS in TTT.

    Or imagine what if Lance had not lost today's time trial. It makes little sense to "what if" in
    these circumstances. What happened is what happened, and Lance is still in the lead.

    People said they wanted Lance to earn his wins more, and this year he's going to have to do
    just that.

  3. > Jan Ullrich beat Lance Armstrong more than a minute!!! Imagine what if his team Bianchi never lost
    > time to USPS in TTT. Armstrong at this point reminded me of when the old clunker Bernard Hinault
    > was trying to win his last tour de france. C'mon LA, what's wrong with you! Don't give up!!! Go
    > Posties...

    Can't they adjust that brake so it won't rub on the rim???

  4. Nick Burns

    Nick Burns Guest

    "Robert Oliver" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "vintage" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Jan Ullrich beat Lance Armstrong more than a minute!!! Imagine what if his team Bianchi never
    > > lost time to USPS in TTT.
    >
    > Or imagine what if Lance had not lost today's time trial. It makes little sense to "what if" in
    > these circumstances. What happened is what happened, and Lance is still in the lead.
    >
    > People said they wanted Lance to earn his wins more, and this year he's going to have to do
    > just that.

    Lance now has to gain more time in the mountain stages. The last ITT is about the same distance but
    over an easier course. It looks as if Jan Ullrich has a higher top end in ITTs at the moment. This
    will be the hardest fought Tour since the Lemond years.

  5. Jim Johnson

    Jim Johnson Guest

    > > Jan Ullrich beat Lance Armstrong more than a minute!!! Imagine what if his team Bianchi never
    > > lost time to USPS in TTT. Armstrong at this point reminded me of when the old clunker Bernard
    > > Hinault was trying to win his last tour de france. C'mon LA, what's wrong with you! Don't give
    > > up!!! Go Posties...
    >
    > Can't they adjust that brake so it won't rub on the rim???

    POTM.

    Jim Johnson

  6. On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 15:39:38 GMT, "Robert Oliver" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"vintage" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >> Jan Ullrich beat Lance Armstrong more than a minute!!! Imagine what if his team Bianchi never
    >> lost time to USPS in TTT.
    >
    >Or imagine what if Lance had not lost today's time trial. It makes little sense to "what if" in
    >these circumstances. What happened is what happened, and Lance is still in the lead.

    ... which, for Lance, is probably the worst thing about this ITT. Still in the lead means that he
    will be attacked. If Wino attaks, Ullrich won't close the gap but let Armstrong do the work. If
    Ullrich attacks, Wino will let Lance do the work. If Lance doesn't attack (and he hasn't done it
    in this year's tour) he risks losing it all in the final ITT to Ullrich. A wide open TdF. Who'd
    have thought?

    Gerrit

  7. "Robert Oliver" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

    <snip>

    > People said they wanted Lance to earn his wins more, and this year he's going to have to do
    > just that.

    Like he didn't earn any of his previous wins?!! WTF?!!

  8. Java Man

    Java Man Guest

    > If Lance doesn't attack (and he hasn't done it in this year's tour) he risks losing it all in the
    > final ITT to Ullrich. A wide open TdF. Who'd have thought?

    What final ITT? Isn't there only a final TTT remaining?

    Rick

  9. "Java Man (Espressopithecus)" <[email protected]> schrieb

    > What final ITT? Isn't there only a final TTT remaining?

    No, that's an error on www.letour.fr . Of course the last TT is an individual, as there are some
    teams which have only three riders left, how could they make a team time trial?

    Regards, Markus

  10. "Gerrit Stolte" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 15:39:38 GMT, "Robert Oliver"
    >
    > ... which, for Lance, is probably the worst thing about this ITT. Still in the lead means that he
    > will be attacked. If Wino attaks, Ullrich won't close the gap but let Armstrong do the work. If
    > Ullrich attacks, Wino will let Lance do the work. If Lance doesn't attack (and he hasn't done it
    > in this year's tour) he risks losing it all in the final ITT to Ullrich. A wide open TdF. Who'd
    > have thought?
    >
    > Gerrit

    It makes no difference. There will still be attacks from riders looking for stage wins rather than
    GC placing. If Ullrich was in the lead, there would still be attacks and USPS would need to chase.
    Lance is betting that his "superior" conditioning will allow him to gain big time in the mountains
    as everyone else fades.

    Lance seems to be riding a much more tactical race this year, he made a comment after one of the
    stages in the Alps to the effect of "We would have been glad to give up 2 more minutes if it meant
    we could have kept 2 more riders (USPS) in our group." Ulrich is the biggest threat, but his
    conditioning is still unknown. If he cracks, Lance will get back more than the 1:30 he lost today. I
    don't think Jan can expect to get back another
    1:30 in the final TT, at that point Lance will hold back nothing.

    -T

  11. Michael

    Michael Guest

    "Tom Schulenburg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Gerrit Stolte" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 15:39:38 GMT, "Robert Oliver"
    > >
    > > ... which, for Lance, is probably the worst thing about this ITT. Still in the lead means that
    > > he will be attacked. If Wino attaks, Ullrich won't close the gap but let Armstrong do the work.
    > > If Ullrich attacks, Wino will let Lance do the work. If Lance doesn't attack (and he hasn't done
    > > it in this year's tour) he risks losing it all in the final ITT to Ullrich. A wide open TdF.
    > > Who'd have thought?
    > >
    > > Gerrit
    > >

    > It makes no difference. There will still be attacks from riders looking
    for
    > stage wins rather than GC placing. If Ullrich was in the lead, there would still be attacks and
    > USPS would need to chase. Lance is betting that his "superior" conditioning will allow him to gain
    > big time in the mountains
    as
    > everyone else fades.

    Normally, I would completely agree with this assessment, but quite frankly Armstrong has not looked
    that great so far in any of the mountain stages. I hope he's playing some head games with Ullrich,
    but it may be that he loses in the mountains because he's about a Power Bar short.

    M.

  12. Jamie

    Jamie Guest

    Oh, so Lance was holding back today? Come on. Why can't Lance lovers just admit that HE GOT
    SPANKED!(with, his special "Helmet" and "Skinsuit" ? Whatever.)

    Tom Schulenburg wrote:

    > "Gerrit Stolte" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 15:39:38 GMT, "Robert Oliver"
    > >
    > > ... which, for Lance, is probably the worst thing about this ITT. Still in the lead means that
    > > he will be attacked. If Wino attaks, Ullrich won't close the gap but let Armstrong do the work.
    > > If Ullrich attacks, Wino will let Lance do the work. If Lance doesn't attack (and he hasn't done
    > > it in this year's tour) he risks losing it all in the final ITT to Ullrich. A wide open TdF.
    > > Who'd have thought?
    > >
    > > Gerrit
    > >

    > It makes no difference. There will still be attacks from riders looking for stage wins rather than
    > GC placing. If Ullrich was in the lead, there would still be attacks and USPS would need to chase.
    > Lance is betting that his "superior" conditioning will allow him to gain big time in the mountains
    > as everyone else fades.
    >
    > Lance seems to be riding a much more tactical race this year, he made a comment after one of the
    > stages in the Alps to the effect of "We would have been glad to give up 2 more minutes if it meant
    > we could have kept 2 more riders (USPS) in our group." Ulrich is the biggest threat, but his
    > conditioning is still unknown. If he cracks, Lance will get back more than the 1:30 he lost today.
    > I don't think Jan can expect to get back another
    > 1:30 in the final TT, at that point Lance will hold back nothing.
    >
    > -T

  13. Lindsay

    Lindsay Guest

    On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 19:17:15 GMT, Jamie <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Oh, so Lance was holding back today? Come on. Why can't Lance lovers just admit that HE GOT
    >SPANKED!(with, his special "Helmet" and "Skinsuit" ? Whatever.)

    HE GOT SPANKED! HE GOT SPANKED! HE GOT SPANKED!

    There, I said it!! Are you happy now??

    The other night a few of us were pontificating on today's ITT course. My guess was that 59 and
    change would win it. DAMN, close but so freakin wrong! (Lucky guess actually!!)

    HE GOT SPANKED! (one more time for good measure!!)

    Lindsay
    ----------------------------
    "One of the annoying things about believing in free will and individual responsibility is the
    difficulty of finding somebody to blame your problems on. And when you do find somebody, it's
    remarkable how often his picture turns up on your driver's license."

    P.J. O'Rourke

  14. Bob M

    Bob M Guest

    On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 19:13:43 GMT, Michael <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Tom Schulenburg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >>
    >> "Gerrit Stolte" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]...
    >> > On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 15:39:38 GMT, "Robert Oliver"
    >> >
    >> > ... which, for Lance, is probably the worst thing about this ITT.
    >> Still
    >> > in the lead means that he will be attacked. If Wino attaks, Ullrich won't close the gap but let
    >> > Armstrong do the work. If Ullrich attacks, Wino will let Lance do the work. If Lance doesn't
    >> > attack (and he
    >> hasn't
    >> > done it in this year's tour) he risks losing it all in the final ITT
    >> > Ullrich. A wide open TdF. Who'd have thought?
    >> >
    >> > Gerrit
    >> >

    >> It makes no difference. There will still be attacks from riders looking
    > for
    >> stage wins rather than GC placing. If Ullrich was in the lead, there would still be attacks and
    >> USPS would need to chase. Lance is betting that his "superior" conditioning will allow him to
    >> gain big time in the mountains
    > as
    >> everyone else fades.
    >
    > Normally, I would completely agree with this assessment, but quite frankly Armstrong has not
    > looked that great so far in any of the mountain stages. I hope he's playing some head games with
    > Ullrich, but it may be that he loses in the mountains because he's about a Power Bar short.
    >
    > M.

    I don't think it's wise to play too much with the competition. Martina Hingis one time was asked
    about the competition. At the time, she said something along the lines of, "What competition? I'm
    3,000 points ahead of everyone else." (And she was.) You never want to P-off your competitors or let
    them think they can win.

    --
    Bob M in CT Remove 'x.' to reply

  15. On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 19:04:55 GMT, "Tom Schulenburg" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"Gerrit Stolte" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >> On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 15:39:38 GMT, "Robert Oliver"
    >>
    >> ... which, for Lance, is probably the worst thing about this ITT. Still in the lead means that he
    >> will be attacked. If Wino attaks, Ullrich won't close the gap but let Armstrong do the work. If
    >> Ullrich attacks, Wino will let Lance do the work. If Lance doesn't attack (and he hasn't done it
    >> in this year's tour) he risks losing it all in the final ITT to Ullrich. A wide open TdF. Who'd
    >> have thought?
    >>
    >> Gerrit
    >>

    >It makes no difference. There will still be attacks from riders looking for stage wins rather than
    >GC placing. If Ullrich was in the lead, there would still be attacks and USPS would need to chase.
    >Lance is betting that his "superior" conditioning will allow him to gain big time in the mountains
    >as everyone else fades.

    Right now, there is no need for USPS to watch for anybody but Vino, Ullrich, maybe still Hamilton.
    All the other guys can do what they want.

    Gerrit

  16. Lindsay <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 19:17:15 GMT, Jamie <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Oh, so Lance was holding back today? Come on. Why can't Lance lovers just admit that HE GOT
    > >SPANKED!(with, his special "Helmet" and "Skinsuit" ? Whatever.)
    >
    > HE GOT SPANKED! HE GOT SPANKED! HE GOT SPANKED!

    Ullrich has BALLS... GO JAN

  17. > Right now, there is no need for USPS to watch for anybody but Vino, Ullrich, maybe still Hamilton.
    > All the other guys can do what they want.

    Vino is the real threat. He's shown he can take time out of Lance in the mountains. And not just one
    day, Pantani style. Twice in a row, in the only two high mountain stages so far. Stages Lance surely
    wanted to win. The best Lance could do in reply was take 30 sec in a long time trial.

    Lance is in trouble, and this would be much more evident were it not for the TTT, the only thing
    masking Lance's relative weakness. And the only think keeping Lance in yellow.

    Lance may still win; but too many people here need a cold dose of reality. Lance's surging in the
    mountains is not _more_ likely now, because now "he really needs to step forward". Lance taking time
    out of Vino in the Pyrenees is _less_ likely precisely because his riding to date has shown he's
    weak. Well, weak compared to previous years.

  18. Vintage

    Vintage Guest

    Gerrit Stolte <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Right now, there is no need for USPS to watch for anybody but Vino, Ullrich, maybe still Hamilton.
    > All the other guys can do what they want.
    >
    > Gerrit

    No offense, but Armstrong & USPS should not even spent a cent of their time worrying on Hamilton's
    attack or threat at all. It doesn't matter, Lance Armstrong or Tyler Hamilton, as long as an
    american wins TDF this year!!!! (too bad Tyler's chance gets slimmer & slimmer) But yes, Alex & Jan
    are definitely the guys to watch.

  19. Dan Gregory

    Dan Gregory Guest

    "Jamie" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Oh, so Lance was holding back today? Come on. Why can't Lance lovers
    just
    > admit that HE GOT SPANKED!(with, his special "Helmet" and "Skinsuit" ?
    Isa that what caused the hole on his shorts? Or perhaps that hole changed his aerodynamics so much
    he lost time due to it... All the best Dan Gregory ;-)