Armstrong on Millar

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Robert Chung

My loose translation of a paragraph from today's L'Equipe (I'm always nervous about these things
because Armstrong probably said this in English and it got translated into French, so there's
probably bad translation in both directions):

Two weeks ago David Millar (Cofidis) had shared in L'Equipe his desire to leave his team at the end
of the year and his dream to join USPS. Lance Armstrong has taken notice of this with interest:
"David is my friend, an excellent rider, very talented. It's true, sometimes he lets himself down
and he's at an age to say it's now or never. And it's also true that Cofidis isn't absolutely made
for him and I don't say this because of any bad memories of the team. Frankly, the best thing that
could happen to him is to go look elsewhere, to change his environment, his work habits, his
discipline. Now, I can't say that he would come to us. He's expensive and our budget isn't
unlimited. I can only say that he would be a good addition because he's a powerful TT'er and that he
can be not a bad climber. But he has to learn to pace himself. David is a little bit of a rock star.
[I won't try to translate the last sentence: C'est un fou, un fou gentil et brillant.]"

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/?id=2003/feb03/feb04news

"Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> My loose translation of a paragraph from today's L'Equipe (I'm always nervous about these things
> because Armstrong probably said this in English and it got translated into French, so there's
> probably bad translation in both directions):
>
> Two weeks ago David Millar (Cofidis) had shared in L'Equipe his desire to leave his team at the
> end of the year and his dream to join USPS. Lance Armstrong has taken notice of this with
> interest: "David is my friend, an excellent rider, very talented. It's true, sometimes he lets
> himself down and he's at an age to say it's now or never. And it's also true that
Cofidis
> isn't absolutely made for him and I don't say this because of any bad memories of the team.
> Frankly, the best thing that could happen to him is
to
> go look elsewhere, to change his environment, his work habits, his discipline. Now, I can't say
> that he would come to us. He's expensive and our budget isn't unlimited. I can only say that he
> would be a good
addition
> because he's a powerful TT'er and that he can be not a bad climber. But he has to learn to pace
> himself. David is a little bit of a rock star. [I
won't
> try to translate the last sentence: C'est un fou, un fou gentil et brillant.]"

Status
Not open for further replies.