Armstrong out of the 2003 TdF!

Discussion in 'Professional Cycling' started by Vo2, Mar 31, 2003.

1. Vo2

Vo2 Member

In a shock report last night, Lance Armstrong announced his withdrawal in this year’s Tour de France. Four times winner Armstrong said that although he was fit and ready for the race, he decided to withdraw because of the reluctance of France to join the US in the war on Iraq.
    "The French have always had a fighting spirit on the bike, maybe the time has come for them to take that spirit to Iraq and join the US in Operation Iraqi Freedom", Armstrong said.
    Armstrong's team manager said that he was disappointed, but that he respects Armstrong's decision.
    Armstrong is not the first US athlete to withdraw from a major sporting event. Earlier this year Tiger Woods withdrew from the Dubai Golf Classic in fear of war threats in the Middle East.

Tags:

2. Blimp

Blimp New Member

In a recent development, Lance has also announced that he will be tipping his entire collection of French wine down the gurgler, including his highly regarded collection of Chateau Mouton Rothschild vintages as a protest to the French non-action in the gulf.

Happy April 1st

3. MD-CYCLIST

MD-CYCLIST New Member

Dear Vo2

I think Amstrong was Never going to win anything in this Years tour de France and Has decided to Use Such a petty and false excuse to withdraw from this years event.
    We all know that the War is Iligal and Immoral any War that has not got UN backing in My eyes is Iligal and its Iligal in the eyes of most people who have Dignity and a heart inside them, Why should France Join This Iligal war that it Tried its all Best to Avert Using the UN and many other countries and the Magorety of the countrys all Decided not to vote for war or to withdraw from voting all together meaning this war has not got Support from any One in the UN General Coffey Annan has already said its Iligal and Look what has Happened so Far almost 600 Civilian Deads and also all Those POOR Coalition Soldiers who are Dead and Been Cought have they not got a Family and Kids am Sure they do and also Come its looking Like the americans are killing the British and calling it friendly Fire there is nothing friendly about getting a Rocket right up to your face and it kills you I call that Equipment or Pilot error, Well if amstrong feels so Much for this war I hear the Cut of point to Join the US Reservers who are in the War at the moment is 39 Years so He should go and join them and Fight for what He believes in.
    One thing I believe is Never Mix Politics with Sports I mean come on These professionals are role Models for all those Kids who are hoping for Success one day And pros like amstrong need to be giving a good account of the Sport not a Good account of them selfs, well AMSTRONG Needs to Chill, I hope to hear from you all very soon.

Kind regards
    A H Khadra

4. Vo2

Vo2 Member

:D Blimp's the man... ;)

5. steve

steve Administrator
    Staff Member

6. ullrichfan

ullrichfan New Member

Do you have a link to this? I haven't seen an article on it. Sure this is not April Fools?

7. easyrider

easyrider New Member

All of those words and only one period. Amazing.

April Fool's Day isn't "celebrated" around the world, by the way.

8. ullrichfan

ullrichfan New Member

I heard that USPS will be replacing him with Marco Pantani!! AND that he offered to buy his collection of French wines. Pantani requested Ullrich join forces with him and together they will win the Giro, TDF, and Vuelta. Heras will be given insulin shots to improve his ITT performance and Jan will supply all the Warsteiner and sausages throughout the season. Surely that will be enough to capture all great tours this year!

9. MD-CYCLIST

MD-CYCLIST New Member

Dear All

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGRRRRRRR.

Another year and Another Beatting by The April Fools Bug Yes we Do have Aprils Fools In Lebanon and Hell yeah They have it also Hear in London And I absolutly Dread it as If you ask a Girl out On April Fools She Laughs in your face thinking you where joking with he but No I tried t explain I was for Real But she would not believe me Cuz its April Fools, And you lot BEAT me and My record Of bad April Fools Days goes away for another Year I should Have Realised You Lot where joking about Amstrong But anyways If Amstrongs is Reading this If you do decide to Pull out of the tour de France For the exact reasons I still Think you should Join the Reservers LOL well Happy April Fools day to you all.

Kind regards
    A H Khadra

10. Vo2

Vo2 Member

Well MD-C, I hope you got the girl. The good guy always gets the girl in the end.

11. Blimp

Blimp New Member

Hey VO2, try with a more discerning crowd next time.

Some years ago, I swiped a council development notice from a property in Hobart, changed it a bit, and put in front of the Cathedral on 1 April.

'Application for Development of a MacDonalds Family Restaurant on this site'

From memory it got about 150 calls to the planning department, and about the same to the local call back radio station.

Perhaps next year I'll try 'Bicycles to be banned from public streets during peak hour'...

I guess you don't have peak hour in the Orion Nebula though.

12. Quattro

Quattro New Member

Got me!!! Heck, I didn't even check the date on the post, so my heart stopped beating for a second. I was about to send an email to all my buddies with a link to this thread! Doh! Good thing I read all the way through!:cool:

13. Vo2

Vo2 Member

Hey Quattro, are your mates members of our board? If not, mail them anyway.