Armstrong Prepares for Ride With Bush

Garrison Hilliard

Guest
Aug 19, 10:39 PM EDT

Armstrong Prepares for Ride With Bush

By NEDRA PICKLER
Associated Press Writer

CRAWFORD, Texas (AP) -- It's not clear whether Lance Armstrong will have to
abide by the standard rules for biking with President Bush when the two famously
competitive Texans take their first ride together Saturday. The first rule:
Don't pass the president.

"Do not force the president too hard," Bush instructed a handful of journalists
who rode with him last weekend. "Be kind."

Armstrong, the seven-time winner of the Tour de France, has been generous in his
praise of Bush's biking skills - to a point. He says there's no way the
president will be able to take him.

Bush has become an avid biker in the last few years since a bum knee forced him
to give up his running routine. But Armstrong is the sport's undisputed master
after beating the world's best year after year.

Not to mention that Armstrong is 25 years younger than Bush, with a resting
heart rate of 32-34 beats per minute, compared to the president's 47.

Still, Armstrong told ABC's "This Week" last Sunday that he hears the president
is "one competitive dude."

"There's no talking" on rides with Bush, Armstrong said he's heard from friends
who've ridden with Bush.

If Bush and Armstrong do find time to chat, they have a lot in common to discuss
since each has become increasingly more interested in the other's career. While
Bush has taken up biking, Armstrong says he would like to get more involved in
politics.

He recently said he might even consider running for Bush's old job as Texas
governor. But, he coyly told ABC, "It's more or less a joke."

---

On the Net:

The White House: http://www.whitehouse.gov

Lance Armstrong: http://www.lancearmstrong.com

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/B/BUSH_ARMSTRONG?SITE=OHCIN&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

I get the feeling that Armstrong is preparing for more than a ride with
Bush. I think we're seeing the beginning of his next career. McCain's
from Texas; does he ride, too? Will Armstrong ride with someone outside
Texas? How about Schwarzenegger? Armstrongs bicycling buddies are
going to be an interesting show, I suspect.

rtk

http://www.personal.psu.edu/faculty/e/x/exk7/

I find it rather ironic, to say the least, that the President and Lance
are doing more to promote cycling in this country than anybody on this
board ever did, but all we hear are the whining, sniveling lefties with
their constant complaining. It's pretty obvious by now that the
pathetic lefties are just a bunch of miserable people who want to drag
everybody else down to their level of misery in order to make
themselves feel better, in their own perverted way.

On 8/20/05 8:17 AM, in article [email protected], "rtk"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> I get the feeling that Armstrong is preparing for more than a ride with
> Bush. I think we're seeing the beginning of his next career. McCain's
> from Texas; does he ride, too? Will Armstrong ride with someone outside
> Texas? How about Schwarzenegger? Armstrongs bicycling buddies are
> going to be an interesting show, I suspect.
>
> rtk
>
> http://www.personal.psu.edu/faculty/e/x/exk7/

One of Armstrong's bicycle buddies is Robin Williams who is from the
opposite side of the political spectrum.

"Joe S." wrote:

> In light of the fact that George Bush's terms as Texas governor were a joke,
> Lance would be an improvement.
> -----
> Joe S.

And, what is your contribution to the state or the country?

--
Tp,

-------- __o
----- -\<. -------- __o
--- ( )/ ( ) ---- -\<.
-------------------- ( )/ ( )

No Lawsuit Ever Fixed A Moron...

>McCain's from Texas; does he ride, too?

That must be a surprise to the citizens of Arizona.

Chris Neary
[email protected]

"It does not require a majority to prevail, but
rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set
brushfires in people's minds" - Samual Adams

rtk <[email protected]> wrote:

>I get the feeling that Armstrong is preparing for more than a ride with
>Bush. I think we're seeing the beginning of his next career. McCain's
>from Texas; does he ride, too? Will Armstrong ride with someone outside
>Texas? How about Schwarzenegger? Armstrongs bicycling buddies are
>going to be an interesting show, I suspect.

The good news is that if it DOES happen, political threads will once
again be on topic. ;-)

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $795 ti frame

On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 11:04:44 GMT, "Joe S." <[email protected]> wrote:

>In light of the fact that George Bush's terms as Texas governor were a joke,
>Lance would be an improvement.
>
>--
>
>-----
>Joe S.

Funny. Remember though that Lance is a super control freak. He'd never be
able to adapt to a life in politics - it'd drive him nuts - the loss of
control. Besides, he has no skills, except being in front of the camera.
Arguably you could say Jesse Ventura didn't have many skills, yet he made a
pretty good governer.

jj

jet wrote:

> Funny. Remember though that Lance is a super control freak. He'd never be
> able to adapt to a life in politics - it'd drive him nuts - the loss of
> control. Besides, he has no skills, except being in front of the camera.
> Arguably you could say Jesse Ventura didn't have many skills, yet he made a
> pretty good governer.

Except that he was a lousy governor.

Chris Neary wrote:

>>McCain's from Texas; does he ride, too?

> That must be a surprise to the citizens of Arizona.

Oooops, my bad. All those southwestern states look alike to me.

rtk

"TomP" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Joe S." wrote:
>
> > In light of the fact that George Bush's terms as Texas governor were a

joke,
> > Lance would be an improvement.
> > -----
> > Joe S.

> And, what is your contribution to the state or the country?
>
> --
> Tp,

Unlike the acting president who used his father's connections to avoid
military service, I served 28 years in uniform, including a tour in a place
called Vietnam. Perhaps you read about it in your history book.

And I did not construct a mountain of lies to start a war that has now
killed almost 2,000 GIs.

--
----
Joe S.

> -------- __o
> ----- -\<. -------- __o
> --- ( )/ ( ) ---- -\<.
> -------------------- ( )/ ( )
>
> No Lawsuit Ever Fixed A Moron...

"Mark Hickey" wrote: The good news is that if it DOES happen, political
threads will once again be on topic. ;-)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I've got good news and bad news. The good news is that political threads
will once again be on topic.
The bad news is that political threads will once again be on topic.

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
: I find it rather ironic, to say the least, that the President and Lance
: are doing more to promote cycling in this country than anybody on this
: board ever did, but all we hear are the whining, sniveling lefties with
: their constant complaining. It's pretty obvious by now that the
: pathetic lefties are just a bunch of miserable people who want to drag
: everybody else down to their level of misery in order to make
: themselves feel better, in their own perverted way.

I am so glad to see that you are not a troll who would just show up and
start calling people names! It's clear that you think all people have a
point of view and you wish to have a respectful dialog with others.

Pat in TX
:

: >>McCain's from Texas; does he ride, too?
: >
: >
: > That must be a surprise to the citizens of Arizona.

: Oooops, my bad. All those southwestern states look alike to me.
:
: rtk

Ruth! Please!

Pat in TX

"I am so glad to see that you are not a troll who would just show up
and
start calling people names! It's clear that you think all people have a
point of view and you wish to have a respectful dialog with others."

I don't want to hear the lefties' henhouse cackling on a cycling board.
I just want them to shut up and discuss cycling instead. Every time
they try to shove their crapola beliefs down my throat on this board, I
am going to tell them what MAPs (Miserable, Angry People) they are.

"Armstrong For President"....

Hmm?

- -

"May you have the winds at your back,
And a really low gear for the hills!"

Chris'Z Corner
http://www.geocities.com/czcorner

: "I am so glad to see that you are not a troll who would just show up
: and
: start calling people names! It's clear that you think all people have a
: point of view and you wish to have a respectful dialog with others."
:
: I don't want to hear the lefties' henhouse cackling on a cycling board.
: I just want them to shut up and discuss cycling instead. Every time
: they try to shove their crapola beliefs down my throat on this board, I
: am going to tell them what MAPs (Miserable, Angry People) they are.

I am SO glad you aren't cackling on a cycling board. I am so glad you aren't
full of crapola. I am so glad you aren't a miserable angry SOB and you are
ready to tell the world what a fine fellow you are! Your mother must be so
proud of you!

Pat in TX
:

Joe S. wrote:

> Unlike the acting president who used his father's connections to avoid
> military service, I served 28 years in uniform, including a tour in a place
> called Vietnam. Perhaps you read about it in your history book.

Thanks for serving, Joe. And I'm sorry the current president didn't
seem to learn much from your experience.