Armstrong press conference cancer announcement

cleff said:
What I don't understand is why you guys are trying to hold that product line to a hgiher standard than others. How much money from all the other shoe sales goes to a charitable cause? If someone wanted to donate money to a good cause, they would just donate it, not buy a pair of shoes. If some sheeple are too dense to understand that the $1 donation is a small fraction of the total cost of product, then that's their own fault. I think that it's a good thing because ultimately it will generate additional funds for people in need.
True... However, the question should be how much additional funds it will generate for Nike... Because if the example of the wristband is used as a criterion Nike just hit the jackpot... A dollar a pair will be just a fraction of their additional earnings.Still though what annoys me most is the ad... I could swallow the profits thing. But the ad should be banned. Honestly... :mad: :mad:

I don't think anyone disagrees that Nike wants to make money and that’s what they do.... what I don’t like is that its selling the 10/2 range in collaboration with LA (who will be getting a sizable cut and appearance fee) under the guise as its the clothing range for those who want to support Cancer or the LAF.... when in actual fact they are using Lance's diagnoses of cancer as the vehicle to sell more product thus more profit. I think that is wrong. After all its just another clothing range.

It would be like creating a range of clothing called 'Africa' where $1 off a $150 pair of trainers goes to African countries in famine... its preying on people's emotional side to want to be part of something... clever marketing yes but a complete rip-off and I'm surprised that someone of LA's integrity got himself involved in it and put his name to it........ shameless marketerring and yes the advertisement is bad as does not show the product but speaks directly about Lance’s diagnoses. This is preying on perople emotions and McDonalds in the 90’s were hauled in front of the advertising standards board for the same thing. They are selling the story with the product and not selling the product because it’s a good product.

DV1976 said:
True... However, the question should be how much additional funds it will generate for Nike... Because if the example of the wristband is used as a criterion Nike just hit the jackpot... A dollar a pair will be just a fraction of their additional earnings.Still though what annoys me most is the ad... I could swallow the profits thing. But the ad should be banned. Honestly... :mad: :mad:

Scotty_Dog said:
I wasn't at all involved with cycling in 1996, but I distinctly remember the announcements that Lance Armstrong had been diagnosed with cancer.

I'd like you to prove your guarantee that 99/100 Americans did not know who he was.:rolleyes:

As stated above, he was the #1 ranked US cyclist at the time and therefore was well known in the cycling world.

I'd estimate (that means I don't have to prove...and couldn't anyway :rolleyes: ) that before the press conference 99.5% of Americans didn't know who he was!

whiteboytrash said:
This is what I object to.... $1 from every $100 pair of 10/2 trainers made in a sweat shop in Asia goes to cancer research.... this is blatant profiteering from an event which occurred nearly 10 years ago.... Nike makes money, Lance makes money and agreed some good does go to cancer research but $1 !

and then

whiteboytrash said:
Before you all jump on me I have experienced cancer in my family and its a horrible, horriable disease and I have no problems in Lance helping suffers from this blood aliment but to sell Nike clothing making a 99% profit from it in the name of the disease makes me a little ill and leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
If this is true, I'll pay very good money to get a glimpse of Nike's business model. Because any company that profits 99% of the final sales price has really mastered how to cut down on production costs, marketing, shipping, and distributor mark-up. I sense a major revolution in the sales world.:rolleyes:

DV1976 said:
It's also extremely cynical, the guy makes a ton of money out of his misfortune. I think Magic Johnson (a much bigger name than Lance) did (and as far as I know still does) a lot of work promoting AIDS awareness but I don't remember seeing him getting rich(er) in the process

And more power to Lance for making that money. I'm a little confused about what is cynical. Wanna trade places with a someone with stage 3 cancer on the off-hand chance you'll get rich from it?

Magic Johnson got AIDS from having unprotected sex with about 1,000 women (God knows how many other people he spread it to). Is he Supposed to get rich off of that? I think Magic did okay in terms of salary alone.

DV1976 said:
As for Nike... "Just do it"... Do what you morons? Survive cancer? It's not exactly the flu... Has anyone thought how many people die for every Lance? Has anyone thought the feelings of a terminally ill cancer patient after watching that ad? "Just do it"... Just die...
The things big corporations will do for money... And I bet there are quite a few of you that will go happily and buy a few 10//2 items "touched" by the power of advertising...

The "Just do it" slogan was around before they signed up Lance. Would you rather Nike not contribute anything to cancer research? Yes, their 10//2 campaign is desinged to make money for them. That's what corporations do. You think Nike's ads hurt the feelings of cancer patients? One of my friend's wife just recently died of cancer, and I can tell you, they loved every Lance commercial Nike put out (unlike some of the cheesy Subaru and Dasani commercials).

How much money do Microsoft and General Motors contribute to cancer research? Why not just rag on the pharmaceutical companies for insisting on making a profit with their cancer-fighting drugs?

whiteboytrash said:
This is what I object to.... $1 from every $100 pair of 10/2 trainers . . . goes to cancer research.... this is blatant profiteering from an event which occurred nearly 10 years ago.... Nike makes money, Lance makes money and agreed some good does go to cancer research but $1 ! Come on ! It seems now in retirement Lance is going to cash in..... I'm sorry but I can’t digest this......
I confess I'm not particularly impressed with the news that only $1 is going to cancer research from the sale of those shoes, and I'm sure Nike is raking it in . . . although I've yet to see any report confirming your supposition that Armstrong is pocketing profits as well.

As an aside, what's the statute of limitations on how long you can be a cancer survivor and still try to raise money for the cause? (Honestly, sometimes the things that set you off seem so arbitrary.)

kennf said:
The "Just do it" slogan was around before they signed up Lance. Would you rather Nike not contribute anything to cancer research? Yes, their 10//2 campaign is desinged to make money for them. That's what corporations do. You think Nike's ads hurt the feelings of cancer patients? One of my friend's wife just recently died of cancer, and I can tell you, they loved every Lance commercial Nike put out (unlike some of the cheesy Subaru and Dasani commercials).

How much money do Microsoft and General Motors contribute to cancer research? Why not just rag on the pharmaceutical companies for insisting on making a profit with their cancer-fighting drugs?
Excellent points. Celebrities the world over use their images to sell products without donating a dime to charity and no one bats an eye. But Nike sets up a relationship with Armstrong which raises awareness, offers some money to charity, yet still allows for corporate profit, and they are somehow to be vilified for "profiting from Armstrong's status as a cancer victim."

Which leads me to ask a question: presuming Armstrong is making some personal profit from the sale of these shoes (which I have yet to see any evidence of, by the way) why is it so horrifying for a man who's beaten cancer to capitalize on it. Don't we all use our life experiences to try to get ahead?

(All that being said, I still think $1 per shoe smacks of a token donation. They could make that $10 or more and still make a nice profit.)

kennf said:
Ah emmm..... The Microsoft chairman recently donated 5 billion US dollars ! to Heath causes (including cancer & HIV) which is the worlds largest single donation ! Also note that he did not include the word Microsoft in the donation as it all came from the William H Gates Foundation....... now tell me what your argument is ? See where the cynicism comes from….. it for the cause not the company..... (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/your_money/360770.stm)

PS Bill doesn’t need to hang around Bono for street cred either…..

rejobako said:
Excellent points.

Which leads me to ask a question: presuming Armstrong is making some personal profit from the sale of these shoes (which I have yet to see any evidence of, by the way) why is it so horrifying for a man who's beaten cancer to capitalize on it. Don't we all use our life experiences to try to get ahead?

(All that being said, I still think $1 per shoe smacks of a token donation. They could make that $10 or more and still make a nice profit.)
See details here under 10/2 icon.... http://www.nike.com/wearyellow/main.html - in small print mentions the $1 donation !

kennf said:
Oh and while I'm at it...... you can see here how much GM donate to chairty causes..... http://www.gm.com/company/gmability/community/global_aid/index.html

....now show me the same link on the Nike page ?

Spare me !

whiteboytrash said:
PS Bill doesn’t need to hang around Bono for street cred either….. [/color]

I'm not sure Bill could ever get street cred.

whiteboytrash said:
Ah emmm..... The Microsoft chairman recently donated 5 billion US dollars ! to Heath causes (including cancer & HIV) which is the worlds largest single donation ! Also note that he did not include the word Microsoft in the donation as it all came from the William H Gates Foundation....... now tell me what your argument is ? See where the cynicism comes from….. it for the cause not the company..... (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/your_money/360770.stm)

PS Bill doesn’t need to hang around Bono for street cred either…..

Okay, I retract my statement about Microsoft. Damnit. I should point out, though, that if Microsoft donated the $5billion, the shareholders would probably sue the board (and Bill).

steve26 said:
Here in the U.S. there is a commercial in heavy rotation of Lance Armstrong's press conference in October of 1996(i think that is the date) when he was diagnosed with cancer..

Why would he have had a press conference at this time prior to winning the Tour? I can guarantee you 99/100 Americans did not know who he was.....

Was he that well known at that time in the cycling world?
Steve,

Let me take a whack at answering your original question.

The "reason" for the original press conference (forget the use of it commercially now) was all about business and protecting the business interests of LA at the time. He was a hot marketable commodity who was being "dumped" (my words) by his team and many of his sponsors and being "black-balled" by many of the other teams he approached. The conference (which "followed" the 96 Olympics here in ATL) was a shrewd and bold marketing strategy meant to "shore up" what was seen by many as "damaged" goods. It's no different than Tony Blair going on TV following the horrific events of 7/7 to reassure the people that everything will be ok.

It was not widely covered here in the US at the time, but was picked up by the world press and those (like Oakley) interested in sticking by his side through the ordeal to follow.

I find its use now (to promote the 10/2 line) to be a little "over the top."

kennf said:
And more power to Lance for making that money. I'm a little confused about what is cynical. Wanna trade places with a someone with stage 3 cancer on the off-hand chance you'll get rich from it?
It is cynical. If you can't see it it's not my problem. He's been making money for the last 8 years playing the "cancer survivor wins the TDF" card over and over and over again. He's made way more money than any other rider in history and the reason is because he survived cancer. Kudos to the man for what he did. He commands respect and he has mine but he's milked the cow to death. This add would be great after his first win, probably after his second, possibly after his third. Not after his 7th. Everybody knows him, everybody knows what he did, he sold 50,000,000 wristbands why on earth put out a commercial entirely based on the cancer mantra. In the commercial it was assumed that everybody that would watch it they would know that he won 7 TDF. Why not the other way round? Why not emphasize the 7 TDF victories theme and let people remember on their own his cancer recovery? Why? Because IT WILL SELL MORE!!! And if you say more power to Lance for making that money then you are yourself cynical and you just don't know it...

Magic Johnson got AIDS from having unprotected sex with about 1,000 women (God knows how many other people he spread it to). Is he Supposed to get rich off of that? I think Magic did okay in terms of salary alone.
So? Did he deserve to get AIDS? Is that what you are saying? Is the value of his work in promoting AIDS awareness diminished because he had unprotected sex? Wasn't himself a victim of someone else? Or is AIDS a just punishment for those who don't like condoms or want to have sex outside marriage? Is that what you are saying? Is Lance supposed to get rich because he survived cancer whatever means he uses in the process? Do you know what the word ethical means or you just don't get along with words that end in "-al" (cynical, ethical, e.t.c)?

DV1976 said:
It is cynical. If you can't see it it's not my problem. He's been making money for the last 8 years playing the "cancer survivor wins the TDF" card over and over and over again. He's made way more money than any other rider in history and the reason is because he survived cancer. Kudos to the man for what he did. He commands respect and he has mine but he's milked the cow to death. This add would be great after his first win, probably after his second, possibly after his third. Not after his 7th. Everybody knows him, everybody knows what he did, he sold 50,000,000 wristbands why on earth put out a commercial entirely based on the cancer mantra. In the commercial it was assumed that everybody that would watch it they would know that he won 7 TDF. Why not the other way round? Why not emphasize the 7 TDF victories theme and let people remember on their own his cancer recovery? Why? Because IT WILL SELL MORE!!! And if you say more power to Lance for making that money then you are yourself cynical and you just don't know it...

So? Did he deserve to get AIDS? Is that what you are saying? Is the value of his work in promoting AIDS awareness diminished because he had unprotected sex? Wasn't himself a victim of someone else? Or is AIDS a just punishment for those who don't like condoms or want to have sex outside marriage? Is that what you are saying? Is Lance supposed to get rich because he survived cancer whatever means he uses in the process? Do you know what the word ethical means or you just don't get along with words that end in "-al" (cynical, ethical, e.t.c)?

My god, you need therapy. Your post is somewhat ... maniac-al. And as for your reading comprehension, I'm somewhat skeptic-al.

Do you think the phrase "Just Do It" would send the wrong message if used by Magic Johnson?

DV1976 said:
He's made way more money than any other rider in history and the reason is because he survived cancer.
I'm pretty sure winning 7 TDF's is the main reason he's made more money.

DV1976 said:
In the commercial it was assumed that everybody that would watch it they would know that he won 7 TDF. Why not the other way round? Why not emphasize the 7 TDF victories theme and let people remember on their own his cancer recovery? Why? Because IT WILL SELL MORE!!!
And by selling more, who exactly is the loser? Consumers get to buy something they want, Nike and Lance make money, and money goes to cancer research. Again, who doesn't benefit from this?

DV1976 said:
Is Lance supposed to get rich because he survived cancer whatever means he uses in the process?
Again, he has made his money because of his 7 TDF's. Surviving terminally ill cancer certainly does not hurt his "story" as a whole, but surviving cancer is by far not the main cause of his fame. Non-famous people survive cancer too, but they don't have the power of celebrity to help benefit the cause.

whiteboytrash said:
This is what I object to.... $1 from every $100 pair of 10/2 trainers made in a sweat shop in Asia goes to cancer research.... this is blatant profiteering from an event which occurred nearly 10 years ago.... Nike makes money, Lance makes money and agreed some good does go to cancer research but $1 ! Come on ! It seems now in retirement Lance is going to cash in..... I'm sorry but I can’t digest this......

On the flip side Ullrich who was beaten and abused by his alcoholic father runs his charity in Germany for the same cause to help young children in the same position as he was.... no wristbands, no overpriced Nike clothing just goes on quietly and raises his money and does his work....... to me this brings new meaning to the phrase 'just do it'.

Before you all jump on me I have experienced cancer in my family and its a horrible, horriable disease and I have no problems in Lance helping suffers from this blood aliment but to sell Nike clothing making a 99% profit from it in the name of the disease makes me a little ill and leaves a bad taste in my mouth.... I'm sorry this is how I feel..... its not and Armstrong v Ullrich thing I just think it stinks a little bit… sorry.

Forgotten about the yellow Livestrong bracelets? All the proceeds went to the LAF. Short memory?

Colorado Ryder said:
Forgotten about the yellow Livestrong bracelets? All the proceeds went to the LAF. Short memory?

You **** ! Read my earlier posts and I commend the yellow wristbands, my argument that the 10/2 range is cynical compared to this........ so you guys just read the last posts on this forum ! Stop being so lazy would ya ! Got something to say... gather your facts first then shoot... ok ?

Go on, I dare you start at the first post and go through them all..... spare me !

‘Cos you such an idiot I’ll cut and paste my former post for your review….

“I see the wristbands as fine... Nike paid for the production and advertising of them and ALL money was donated to LAF... it was a win win.... people came into Nike stores to purchase the wristband and their logo appeared on the band.... but to sell cycling jersey's and Nike Shoes in the 10/2 range and make the statement that $1 from every sale goes to LAF is a little condescending considering they cost $100 a piece in addition to Nike’s policy of making its goods in countries where labour is very very very very very cheap ! But like you say what price can you put on awareness ?”

Actually, this is your original argument:
whiteboytrash said:
This is what I object to.... $1 from every $100 pair of 10/2 trainers made in a sweat shop in Asia goes to cancer research.... this is blatant profiteering from an event which occurred nearly 10 years ago.... Nike makes money, Lance makes money and agreed some good does go to cancer research but $1 ! Come on ! It seems now in retirement Lance is going to cash in..... I'm sorry but I can’t digest this......

On the flip side Ullrich who was beaten and abused by his alcoholic father runs his charity in Germany for the same cause to help young children in the same position as he was.... no wristbands, no overpriced Nike clothing just goes on quietly and raises his money and does his work....... to me this brings new meaning to the phrase 'just do it'.

Before you all jump on me I have experienced cancer in my family and its a horrible, horriable disease and I have no problems in Lance helping suffers from this blood aliment but to sell Nike clothing making a 99% profit from it in the name of the disease makes me a little ill and leaves a bad taste in my mouth.... I'm sorry this is how I feel..... its not and Armstrong v Ullrich thing I just think it stinks a little bit… sorry.
To me, this reads as though you believe Nike profits $99 for every pair of $100 trainers, yet they only donate $1. You then actually mention Nike making a 99% profit. If your nitwitted little brain actually believes that Nike makes a profit of $99 for every $100 in sales, you have completely lost your mind. Using this logic, I guess you believe production costs, advertising and marketing, shipping, and distributor mark-up amount to $00, while Lance and a Nike executive run home and cash their $49.50 paychecks.

You really should think before you post.