Armstrong reckons Ullrich didn't wait

Trealaw Boy

Guest
Has anyone got a view on this? Armstrong is now claiming that Ullrich did not wait wait for him on
the Tour's stage to Luz Ardiden. It was only when Tyler Hamilton caught up did he wait.

As I recall, Ullrich certainly did wait! I haven't seen the incident for a while now, but it was
clear to me at the time that Ullrich was constantly looking back and riding at a slower than race
pace. Okay he didn't stop, but you'd hardly expect him to grind to halt and lose his rhythm on an
ascent completely. (Actually, I think he did lose his rhythm a little, which explains why he
initialy lost so much time to Armstrong once he attacked).

I think Armstrong is being discourteous here and may be trying to ruffle a few feathers in time for
next year.

Regards

TB

"Trealaw Boy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Has anyone got a view on this? Armstrong is now claiming that Ullrich did not wait wait for him on
> the Tour's stage to Luz Ardiden. It was only when Tyler Hamilton caught up did he wait.
>
> As I recall, Ullrich certainly did wait! I haven't seen the incident for a while now, but it was
> clear to me at the time that Ullrich was constantly looking back and riding at a slower than race
> pace. Okay he didn't stop, but you'd hardly expect him to grind to halt and lose his rhythm on an
> ascent completely. (Actually, I think he did lose his rhythm a little, which explains why he
> initialy lost so much time to Armstrong once he attacked).
>
> I think Armstrong is being discourteous here and may be trying to ruffle a few feathers in time
> for next year.
>
> Regards
>
> TB

Who cares what Armstrong said ! This has been discussed ad nauseam in Procycling. What does
Armstrong want from Ullrich an apology ? Next subject please !

Graham

Armstrong is an asshole. Why has he split up with his wife?

"Trealaw Boy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Has anyone got a view on this? Armstrong is now claiming that Ullrich did not wait wait for him on
> the Tour's stage to Luz Ardiden. It was only when Tyler Hamilton caught up did he wait.

Armstrong fell off his bike. Ullrich certainly DID wait, but I'm pretty sure there's nothing in the
TdF rules about it, so Ullrich had every right to just push on and try to win the stage. I bet he
wishes he did, if Armstrong is saying this now!

Regards,

Pete.

Gearóid Ó Laoi/Garry Lee wrote:
> Armstrong is an asshole. Why has he split up with his wife?

Maybe she thought Ullrich waited :) Seriously tho. It was a great race, its over, move on.

Stan Cox

Trealaw Boy wrote:

> Has anyone got a view on this? Armstrong is now claiming that Ullrich did not wait wait for him on
> the Tour's stage to Luz Ardiden. It was only when Tyler Hamilton caught up did he wait.

Why would he wait? Was it a club run?

Graham wrote:
> Who cares what Armstrong said !

When the big names in cycling start criticising each other, I think quite a few of the people who
read cycling ng's might care. It caught my interest, anyway.

> This has been discussed ad nauseam in Procycling.

Which makes it no less interesting to those of us who don't read Procycling.

> Next subject please !

KF the thread if it bores you, I intend to follow it.

I really can't see that Armstrong would have any justification for saying that Ullrich didn't wait.
Even if Ullrich hadn't waited (which he did), I can't see that Armstrong would have much cause for
complaint. And I've always got the impression that Armstrong and Ullrich have enormous respect for
one another. So it seems like a strange thing for Armstrong to have said.

Actually, can anyone quote exactly what his words were?

Thomas Paine

"Trealaw Boy" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> Has anyone got a view on this? Armstrong is now claiming that Ullrich did not wait wait for him on
> the Tour's stage to Luz Ardiden. It was only when Tyler Hamilton caught up did he wait.

The Guardian included an extract from LA's new book last Saturday that includes this assertion. I
was going to post something about this at the time but it was my daughter's third birthday and I had
far better things to
do.

The gist of Armstrong's claim is that Ullrich didn't slack off the pace until Hamilton caught up
with the lead group. However, since Ullrich was in a small group at the head of the race when
Armstrong fell and was looking confused and at the back of a big group by the time Hamilton started
tell in everyone to slow down, it's pretty obvious that Ullrich did, indeed, wait, but was not
prepared to be overtaken by everyone including the 'bus when he was caught by the chasing group.

My opinion is that Armstrong had to make a controversial point in order to publicise the book and
this is it.

--
Rob

Please keep conversations in the newsgroup so that all may contribute and benefit.

"Gearóid Ó Laoi/Garry Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Armstrong is an asshole. Why has he split up with his wife?

I heard in the podium ceremony coverage on Eurosport that they were reconciled.

Ken
===
Why are all the TV's silver?

"Danny Colyer" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Graham wrote:
> > Who cares what Armstrong said !
>
> When the big names in cycling start criticising each other, I think quite a few of the people who
> read cycling ng's might care. It caught my interest, anyway.
>
> > This has been discussed ad nauseam in Procycling.
>
> Which makes it no less interesting to those of us who don't read Procycling.
>
> > Next subject please !
>
> KF the thread if it bores you, I intend to follow it.
>
> I really can't see that Armstrong would have any justification for saying that Ullrich didn't
> wait. Even if Ullrich hadn't waited (which he did), I can't see that Armstrong would have much
> cause for complaint. And I've always got the impression that Armstrong and Ullrich have enormous
> respect for one another. So it seems like a strange thing for Armstrong to have said.
>
> Actually, can anyone quote exactly what his words were?
>
> --
> Danny Colyer (remove safety to reply) ( http://www.juggler.net/danny ) Recumbent cycle page:
> http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/recumbents/ "He who dares not offend cannot be honest." -
> Thomas Paine

What are you the newsgroup police ?

Graham

Graham <[email protected]> wrote:

> > Graham wrote:
> > > Who cares what Armstrong said !
> >
> > When the big names in cycling start criticising each other, I think quite a few of the people
> > who read cycling ng's might care. It caught my interest, anyway.
> >
> > > This has been discussed ad nauseam in Procycling.
> >
> > Which makes it no less interesting to those of us who don't read Procycling.
> >
> > > Next subject please !
> >
> > KF the thread if it bores you, I intend to follow it.
> >
> > I really can't see that Armstrong would have any justification for saying that Ullrich didn't
> > wait. Even if Ullrich hadn't waited (which he did), I can't see that Armstrong would have much
> > cause for complaint. And I've always got the impression that Armstrong and Ullrich have enormous
> > respect for one another. So it seems like a strange thing for Armstrong to have said.
> >
> > Actually, can anyone quote exactly what his words were?
> >
> > --
> > Danny Colyer (remove safety to reply) ( http://www.juggler.net/danny ) Recumbent cycle page:
> > http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/recumbents/ "He who dares not offend cannot be honest." -
> > Thomas Paine
> >

> What are you the newsgroup police ?

Complaining because you thought that was your job?

Remind me again, who was it that typed in a stentorian,

"'Ello,Ello, Ello,! What 'ave we 'ere then?" manner...

Graham wrote:
> What are you the newsgroup police ?

Erm, if you post something criticising someone else for posting something you found boring, don't
you think it's a little rich to complain when someone else posts criticising your criticism?

:p

Thomas Paine

In message <[email protected]>, Robert Bruce
<robatanalytical-dynamicsdotcodotyoukay@?.?.invalid> writes
>"Trealaw Boy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
>> Has anyone got a view on this? Armstrong is now claiming that Ullrich did not wait wait for him
>> on the Tour's stage to Luz Ardiden. It was only when Tyler Hamilton caught up did he wait.
>
>The Guardian included an extract from LA's new book last Saturday that includes this assertion.

You can read the article online at:

<http://sport.guardian.co.uk/cycling/story/0,10482,1046003,00.html>
--
Chris French, Leeds

"chris French" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In message <[email protected]>, Robert Bruce
> <robatanalytical-dynamicsdotcodotyoukay@?.?.invalid> writes
> >"Trealaw Boy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >
> >> Has anyone got a view on this? Armstrong is now claiming that Ullrich did not wait wait for him
> >> on the Tour's stage to Luz Ardiden. It was only when Tyler Hamilton caught up did he wait.
> >
> >The Guardian included an extract from LA's new book last Saturday that includes this assertion.
>
> You can read the article online at:
>
> <http://sport.guardian.co.uk/cycling/story/0,10482,1046003,00.html>
> --
> Chris French, Leeds

Well who would believe anything anyone says who thinks that Vinokourov is a Russian ! Who reads
this rubbish anyway ?

Graham

"Danny Colyer" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Graham wrote:
> > What are you the newsgroup police ?
>
> Erm, if you post something criticising someone else for posting something you found boring, don't
> you think it's a little rich to complain when someone else posts criticising your criticism?
>
> :p
>
> --
> Danny Colyer (remove safety to reply) ( http://www.juggler.net/danny ) Recumbent cycle page:
> http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/recumbents/ "He who dares not offend cannot be honest." -
> Thomas Paine

Who said I found it boring ? Tedious perhaps ! I mean if we were talking about what Merckx or
Hinault, or even Indurain had to say then well that would be worth listening to.

Graham

> "chris French" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > In message <[email protected]>, Robert Bruce
> > <robatanalytical-dynamicsdotcodotyoukay@?.?.invalid> writes

> > >The Guardian included an extract from LA's new book last Saturday that includes this assertion.
> >
> > You can read the article online at:
> >
> > <http://sport.guardian.co.uk/cycling/story/0,10482,1046003,00.html>
> > --
> > Chris French, Leeds
>
> Well who would believe anything anyone says who thinks that Vinokourov is a Russian ! Who
> reads this rubbish anyway ?
>
> Graham

Well, you obviously read it ;-) How come you have such a dislike of Lance?

Dene

> Actually, can anyone quote exactly what his words were?

The follwing extract is taken from the Velonews site at http://www.velonews.com/news/fea/4812.0.html

But after the race, Armstrong released a bombshell, one that so far has received little notice.

''I watched the footage, and I'm not so convinced that Jan Ullrich was waiting,'' Armstrong said in
a post-Tour interview with Outdoor Life Network, the cable television network that showed the Tour.
''I think everybody said that and that was the feel-good story, but I'm not so sure he was
waiting.''

In the OLN interview, which will be re-broadcast later this month and in September, Armstrong
maintained that it was only after Tyler Hamilton rode to the front of the group and told the other
riders to slow down that they waited. Hamilton, Armstrong's former teammate on the United States
Postal Service squad, is the leader of the rival CSC team.

''If you look at the minute before that, or the half minute, I saw Ullrich on the front -- in his
normal position, with his normal face, going,'' Armstrong said. ''That's what I saw,'' he added,
shrugging.

"Graham" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> "Danny Colyer" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > Graham wrote:
> > > What are you the newsgroup police ?
> >
> > Erm, if you post something criticising someone else for posting something you found boring,
> > don't you think it's a little rich to complain when someone else posts criticising your
> > criticism?
> >
> > :p
> >
> > --
> > Danny Colyer (remove safety to reply) ( http://www.juggler.net/danny ) Recumbent cycle page:
> > http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/recumbents/ "He who dares not offend cannot be honest." -
> > Thomas Paine
> >

> Who said I found it boring ? Tedious perhaps ! I mean if we were
talking
> about what Merckx or Hinault, or even Indurain had to say then well that would be worth listening
> to. Graham

Only if Merckx was owning up to which drug combinations he found most effective? Unless Miguel has
had a character insertion I can't see him saying anything conroversial can you? And Bernard will
alwasy be controversial just for the sake of it won't he!