Armstrong runs NY Marathon in 2h59:37

Ullefan

Jul 14, 2004
3 hours, not bad, but not great. Just think what he would have done if not for those late nights with Matthew McConerty in Miami.

This proves he was on the stuff during his career, if he's just an average athlete one year later!

Meek One

May 5, 2004
It's nice that he makes cycling sound so easy compared to running. :rolleyes:

Just more fire for runners... :(

LA is a DA.

bobke

Oct 3, 2004
sopas said:
It seems that ARmstrong did not prepared too much for the Marthon. Look at this photo, his body does not look like the body of a runner!!!!!!!!!! He has too much upper body!!!!!!!!

http://external.cache.el-mundo.net/albumes/2006/11/05/maraton/1162748864_extras_albumes_0.jpg
Yes and for those who still dontwant to believe that cancer took a lot of weight off due to muscle wasting, his regular Tour weight was 155-160. He ran the marathon at 180 lbs, and that was what he admitted to. And he looks darn lean, but quite musclebound.

Now that he can lift weights and swim he bulked right back up, which C Carmicahel always warned him against doing off season, so as not to offset the big weight loss due to loss of muscle mass.

wolfix

Mar 11, 2005
bobke said:
Yes and for those who still dontwant to believe that cancer took a lot of weight off due to muscle wasting, his regular Tour weight was 155-160. He ran the marathon at 180 lbs, and that was what he admitted to. And he looks darn lean, but quite musclebound.

Now that he can lift weights and swim he bulked right back up, which C Carmicahel always warned him against doing off season, so as not to offset the big weight loss due to loss of muscle mass.
And to add fire to the "Lemond vs Armstrong " remarks...... Armstrong added this recently.

Armstrong: Well, that's sort of the beauty of this, isn't it? I didn't want to, after so many years of professional and competitive sports, not to name names, but I didn't want to be the typical professional athlete, where the tendency is to get lazy and sedentary and not doing anything. Especially those first couple years. I didn't want that for my life. It's not good for my health and I don't want to be a 40-year-old 50 pounds over weight.

"
This proves he was on the stuff during his career, if he's just an average athlete one year later!"

under 3 hours is not just an average athlete. Especially one with shin splints. But more then that...He raised hundreds of thousands of dollars for cancer.

I did think it was funny that he said how hard it was. He looked wasted. He looked heavier. He must have been meeting JU at the donut shop every morning. Do you realize that with the #25 Lance gained and the #85 Ju gained the last few months , that between them they have gained a Paulo Bettini?

Bro Deal

Jun 26, 2006
Looks like the verdict is in:

DOPER!

Hell, I can run under 3:00. This complete collapse in VO2Max reminds me of Disco in this year's Tour

davidbod

Oct 7, 2003
bobke said:

I watched the one hour recap on NBC. They showed some footage of Lance training / running. It was amazing to see how much bigger in the upper body he is now than at any time over the last 7-8 years. I can only imagine the guts and determination it took for 7 straight years to keep his body so lean for cycling.

wolfix

Mar 11, 2005
Bro Deal said:

DOPER!

Hell, I can run under 3:00. This complete collapse in VO2Max reminds me of Disco in this year's Tour
You don't call competing in a sporting event as tough as a marathon 14 months after being a competitor as a collapse of VO2Max. VO2Max is maintained through consistent exercise. Plus, VO2MAX is not necessarily a component when looking at a runner. Frank Shorter did not have a high VO2Max.

In order to have maintained anywhere near his VO2MAX from cycling, he would have had to do one of 2 things.
1...... Maintained the volume that he did on the bike.
2..... Increased intensity ...But that presents a problem. A runner uses totally different muscles then a cyclist. A runner can only increase his intensity or volume as his running muscles allow him. Armstrong mentioned shin splits.
Under 3 hours is a respectable time for any one that does not train as a endurance runner. And I'm sure with Armstrong running around the country as he does, he did not have intensive training for an event as a 3 hour marathon.
But more importantly, he raised hundreds of thousands of dollars for cancer ... That makes him a very important individual. The people that donated the money have heard all the doping allegations. But they still donated. The amount of money he raised for cancer makes him one of the greatest cyclists of all time.

I think with all the confidence that you have that LA is a doper you need to contact **** Pound or Walsh. They would be very interested in knowing what you know that they do not.

Ullefan

Jul 14, 2004
He also raised so much more money for himself courtesy of his sponsor Nike, it was a publicity stunt, due in part because the major sponsor Foot Locker is a rival to Nike, it is called ambush marketing. Notice all the guys around him had Nike trainers or were sponsored by Nike, El Gorouj, etc. I'm sure Foot Locker weren't happy about that, being the major sponsor.

whiteboytrash

Mar 9, 2005
Agreed. If Jalbert can break 3 hours in his first marathon and if Ralph Aldag can run 2:46 in his first and a seven times Tour de France champion can only just break 3 whilst being paced then we have our answer.... DOPER ! more compelling he would have only beaten me by an hour !

Bro Deal said:

DOPER!

rejobako

Jul 16, 2004
Nice to see that this forum hasn't changed. You sourfaced assholes are a real pleasure to ignore. See you again in a few months, cocksuckers.

helmutRoole2

Jul 7, 2006
rejobako said:
Nice to see that this forum hasn't changed. You sourfaced assholes are a real pleasure to ignore. See you again in a few months, cocksuckers.
Damn. He should change his name to rejo "half" bako or just halfbako for short.

Oh well. I guess a once-a-month fix of cocksuckers isn't too bad. Some republican politicians here in the states seem to need more.

guncha

Jun 20, 2005
Bro Deal said:

DOPER!

I think the result doesn't matter for you- if it were too good you would say "he can't resist doping even in marathon race", and if it is not that good you will say "he is nothing without dope".
What kind of result did you expect? 2:30? For instance, Aigars Fadejevs, sivler medalist in 2000 Sydney olympics 50 km walk distance, changed his profile to marathon this year. And with intense training he had 2:28 in his very first marathon. 2:59 is very normal result for a cyclist that don't have a specific training for marathon.

helmutRoole2

Jul 7, 2006
davidbod said:
I watched the one hour recap on NBC. They showed some footage of Lance training / running. It was amazing to see how much bigger in the upper body he is now than at any time over the last 7-8 years. I can only imagine the guts and determination it took for 7 straight years to keep his body so lean for cycling.
You're right. He's soooo dreamy.

Let's take this topic over to the "I-want-2-suck-Lance's-****" forum so we can really get all gooey. These Lance haters just don't understand.

wolfix

Mar 11, 2005
Ullefan said:
He also raised so much more money for himself courtesy of his sponsor Nike, it was a publicity stunt, due in part because the major sponsor Foot Locker is a rival to Nike, it is called ambush marketing. Notice all the guys around him had Nike trainers or were sponsored by Nike, El Gorouj, etc. I'm sure Foot Locker weren't happy about that, being the major sponsor.
Let's discuss the logic of your comment...... 1st of all, you don't know one item in the contract that NIKE has with Lance. So how do you know that there was "much more money" in it for Lance? Let's look at it in another way. [Marketing is a favorite subject of mine since that is how I earned my living for 20 years.] So let's assume that the Nike Swoosh that LA had on his shirt took some of the market share away from the others. That makes Lance a bad man and self centered ? A good man makes money for Foot Locker, but a bad man tries to take away the corporate earnings for the investments that people made in Foot Locker?

But in the mean time, Lance raises huge money for cancer research, but that is not important. Supporting NIKE is just plain wrong. That is the issue here.
Now my logic says that when a man uses his celebrity to raise money for a good cause, that makes him a humanitarian of sorts. And as hard as Lance works at the cancer thing, it seems it is a true commitment for him.

Quote.........
" Armstrong ran the marathon wearing a green shirt with '10/2' (the date of his cancer diagnosis) written across it, and with the help of 100 other runners, raised over $600,000 for the Lance Armstrong Foundation."

Lance just doesn't go away for you guys does he?

wineandkeyz

Sep 30, 2003
Ullefan said:

How do reckon that Foot Locker is a rival of Nike's? :confused:

Foot Locker is a chain of stores that sells shoes and other sportswear. Nike makes shoes and other sportswear that are sold in Foot Locker stores, among others. If LA's participation in the marathon generated interest in Nike products, it sounds like a win/win for Nike and Foot Locker.

Tim Lamkin

Oct 17, 2005
helmutRoole2 said:
You're right. He's soooo dreamy.

Let's take this topic over to the "I-want-2-suck-Lance's-****" forum so we can really get all gooey These Lance haters just don't understand.
Looked at your own avatar lately... :eek: :D you guys are so funny