Armstrong runs NY Marathon in 2h59:37

helmutRoole2 said:
Copy edit: Nope this is too entertaining just reading. Besides, one sentence is more than that "other" guy can handle at once. I mean, come on, look at his picture...

Nicely done, Tim. You must have graduated from a Texas high school.
What? You Tim Larkin's offical copie editor now.

Bro Deal said:
Looks like the verdict is in:

DOPER!

Hell, I can run under 3:00. This complete collapse in VO2Max reminds me of Disco in this year's Tour
Nice one, asshole. His VO2Max wasn't the issue. Even Salazar, the former marathon champion who was one of his pacers, said that Armstrong had much greater ease talking during the run than he did. The problem was with the muscular fatigue that Lance incured after pounding the asphalt for 26.2 miles, something he wasn't used to as a cyclist (nor as a runner, as his longest previous run was 16 miles).

PartisanRanger said:
Nice one, asshole. His VO2Max wasn't the issue. Even Salazar, the former marathon champion who was one of his pacers, said that Armstrong had much greater ease talking during the run than he did. The problem was with the muscular fatigue that Lance incured after pounding the asphalt for 26.2 miles, something he wasn't used to as a cyclist (nor as a runner, as his longest previous run was 16 miles).
That's what I've been saying all along. Three hours is a very respectable run for a first-time marathoner. Sure, his natural Vo2max has likely slipped a little, but he's still Lance ****ing Armstrong and he can do anything once he sets his mind to it. Overcoming cancer? Check. Winning the Tour? Check. Winning it seven times? Check. And now running a marathon. Is there nothing he can't do? He should run for president of United States of America. He'd have my vote because a person of such obvious talent in one area is unquestionably talented in all others. And, above reproach. There is no way this man would cheat or cheat others. He's simply god like. Sometimes I'm not sure if he even really exists. He's more than a man. He's like a comic book super hero.

And yes, anyone to put him down is an asshole. Helmut Roole and Bro Deal are two of the biggest assholes on this forum. They are the anti-Lance personified.

And to you, young man: GO CAVS! Got to love those baby cows. Veal! It's what's for dinner.

PartisanRanger said:
Even Salazar, the former marathon champion who was one of his pacers, said that Armstrong had much greater ease talking during the run than he did.
You should pry your lips off of Armstrong's backside so you can look around at the real world. Salazar is nearly fifty years old and was last competitive twenty years ago. Armstrong had six positives for EPO in a single Tour, and several near positives. He was juiced to the gills on at least one third of the stages. Now that he is off the sauce and no longer seeing Dr. Ferrari he has reverted to his natural state--and apparently it isn't much.

In order to break three hours, he had to cheat. His posse was getting water and gel packs for him, even tearing the tops off the gels before handing them over.

Bro Deal said:
You should pry your lips off of Armstrong's...
Awwwww here he comes. It didn't take long for the anti-Lance to chime in. Damn anti-Lances. Our country (America) was founded on the ideals Lance stands for it.

Martin Jackson said:
Awwwww here he comes. It didn't take long for the anti-Lance to chime in. Damn anti-Lances. Our country (America) was founded on the ideals Lance stands for it.
If you're talking about cheating and lying, then our current administration has taken that to heart.

Martin Jackson said:
Here he comes with his anti-American rehtoric.
Martin, do you support the war in Iraq, the way the Bush administration has approached it? Do you think there ever were wmds there?

helmutRoole2 said:
Martin, do you support the war in Iraq, the way the Bush administration has approached it? Do you think there ever were wmds there?
I support the troops. And what the hell do wmds have to do with anything. We invaded to remove and evil dictator. Are you saying Iraq was better off with him in power?

Martin Jackson said:
I support the troops. And what the hell do wmds have to do with anything. We invaded to remove and evil dictator. Are you saying Iraq was better off with him in power?
I don't know. Maybe we should ask the families of the more than 100,000 dead Iraqis. I have a theory. I'd be willing to bet that those who support the war are also hardcore Lance fans. It's the same mentality.

And I also support the troops. I was one of them. My brother still is.

helmutRoole2 said:
I don't know. Maybe we should ask the families of the more than 100,000 dead Iraqis. I have a theory. I'd be willing to bet that those who support the war are also hardcore Lance fans. It's the same mentality.

Let's put it to the test. I'll post a poll.

helmutRoole2 said:

Approximately 655,000 dead Iraqis.

I don't think any of us have even remotely accurate stats on supporting the war & being a fan of Lance. I can speak for myself though, and I can see the war for what it is: the biggest money laundering scheme the world has ever seen. Literally. With the amount of no-bid contracts given out to supporters of the administration, and the fact that the US government somehow "lost" $9 billion of the war fund... it sickens me.

However, I'm a Lance supporter. There is no correlation between these two things.

dexjava said:
Approximately 655,000 dead Iraqis.

I don't think any of us have even remotely accurate stats on supporting the war & being a fan of Lance. I can speak for myself though, and I can see the war for what it is: the biggest money laundering scheme the world has ever seen. Literally. With the amount of no-bid contracts given out to supporters of the administration, and the fact that the US government somehow "lost" $9 billion of the war fund... it sickens me.

However, I'm a Lance supporter. There is no correlation between these two things.
Hmmm. Amongst the cycling population, I'm going to agree with you. But, and of course I have no convenient way to find this out, but I bet the general population in America there is a correlation.

If you're a fan of the sport, then I think one becomes susceptible to idol worship and that might cloud one's thinking. But, I'm also open to the idea that I'm just full of ******** on this topic and completely wrong.

dexjava said:
I would think there would be a fairly good correlation among the people who are informed about the sport. The casual fans and general public are unaware of the rampant drug use, but anyone who follows cycling and has more than two brain cells to rub together has to know what all the top guys are doing. To continue to show blind support for Armstrong indicates that there is some sort of cognitive dissonance.

I think it is tied up with what has become an american belief, that the ends justify the means. That used to be a knock against the communists; it was held up as why the U.S. was better than the marxist regimes. Not anymore. Now if you question the costs or morality of what the administration is doing, you are unamerican and maybe a traitor as well. Armstrong displays the same "with us or against us" attitude of the neocons and he also shares their pleasure at taking petty revenge on those he perceives to be his enemies.

I find it hard to see how someone can disapprove of traits of Dubya and then excuse the same traits in Armstrong.

It was a humbling effort for Lance.. it hurt without the gear... way to much..... again Jalbert ran 2:55 in NY last year in his first run years after his retirement with no pacing and Armstrong runs 2:59 with world class pacers ???? Is the man who won 7 Tours ????

Bro Deal said:
You should pry your lips off of Armstrong's backside so you can look around at the real world. Salazar is nearly fifty years old and was last competitive twenty years ago. Armstrong had six positives for EPO in a single Tour, and several near positives. He was juiced to the gills on at least one third of the stages. Now that he is off the sauce and no longer seeing Dr. Ferrari he has reverted to his natural state--and apparently it isn't much.

In order to break three hours, he had to cheat. His posse was getting water and gel packs for him, even tearing the tops off the gels before handing them over.

Bro Deal said:
I would think there would be a fairly good correlation among the people who are informed about the sport. The casual fans and general public are unaware of the rampant drug use, but anyone who follows cycling and has more than two brain cells to rub together has to know what all the top guys are doing. To continue to show blind support for Armstrong indicates that there is some sort of cognitive dissonance.

I think it is tied up with what has become an american belief, that the ends justify the means. That used to be a knock against the communists; it was held up as why the U.S. was better than the marxist regimes. Not anymore. Now if you question the costs or morality of what the administration is doing, you are unamerican and maybe a traitor as well. Armstrong displays the same "with us or against us" attitude of the neocons and he also shares their pleasure at taking petty revenge on those he perceives to be his enemies.

I find it hard to see how someone can disapprove of traits of Dubya and then excuse the same traits in Armstrong.
I support and admire Lance because I have a realistic view of the world:
1) Most if not all top athletes probably use drugs, in all sports. If one genetically gifted person uses drugs, then the others must to compete. In my opinion creating rules and then not enforcing them properly is ********. That's telling people:
-"Ok, here are the rules: don't do this *some action*"
-"But if you don't do it we will never know. "
-"Oh and by the way, if you actually follow these rules that we can't enforce, you will not be able to be a professional athlete even though you've spent your entire life working toward this goal."
I really don't care that i'm going to get flamed for this. This is reality.

2) The vast majority of allegations against professional athletes are never fully proven. In my eyes Lance was never proven without a doubt to have doped. I believe Tyler was proven and a few others, but not Lance, not Jan, not Ivan, etc While it's highly likely that they did, I can't say for sure, and no matter how much you yell about it, neither can you ("you" meaning anybody).

3) With or without doping I truly admire what Lance did. No matter how much people call him a cheat, I truly admire that he came back from almost certain death due to cancer ravaging his entire body and absolutely dominated the greatest event in cycling for 7 years straight on a level playing field. Don't even begin to tell me that he doped but those other guys were clean. He did it on a level playing field.

Now what is Lance using his power for? He's using it to fight cancer. I see Lance clearly. I sure as hell don't "blindly" support him. He's a truly incredible athlete that uses his power for good. We'll see what he does if/when he gets into politics, but for now I admire him.

Bush and his cronies on the other hand are using their power to do terrible things. They are waging war on the American people as well as other parts of the world. They are terror mongering and lying to us about who attacked us, saying Iraq had something to do with it when in reality the majority of the attackers were from Saudi Arabi and the funding organization was based in Afganistan (which has become the side show, rather than the main event, for some unknown reason) They are taking away our most basic civil rights. They are telling us that they are fighting the terrorists, and yet in reality they are doing the terrorists' work for them: they are taking away our freedoms. A couple weeks ago, Bush signed a law which suspended habeus corpus FOR US CITIZENS. It's bad enough that they could "legally" detain foreign citizens without a trial, now the administration can even detain American citizens indefinetly without a trial, and without even having a charge placed against them - they can "legally" disapear you if they want for any arbitrary reason. They are sending us off to war to die for their money laundering scheme. And they are doing an even worse job governing things in Iraq than Sadam did. Why? Because they want chaos in iraq. Iraq has a lot of oil, and in chaos they can steal. Haliburton, with their no-bid contract to "rebuild Iraq" is over there doing god-knows-what. It's all ******** and it's all evil and selfish. Now the bushies are shaking their fists and N Korea and Iran. So much damage being caused to the US and the world. Terrorists have failed to scare me, yet I am afraid of my own government. What does that say about how they are running things?

You're saying that supporting Bush is similar to supporting an amazing athlete who spends his time raising money to fight cancer and trying to strongarm our government into getting off their asses and do something about the nation's #1 killer (cancer) instead of wasting their ****ing time arguing over gay marriage?

Martin Jackson said:
Here he comes with his anti-American rehtoric.
Funny if criticizing a standing administration is "anti-American" then it seems we've all been guilty of it during one era or another. Were the folks that were suspicious of Watergate or Whitewater or arms for hostages "anti-American"?

One could well argue that questioning goverment is a responsibility and requirement to being American. If you don't believe me and want to brand me as unpatriotic how about Thomas Jefferson's take on it:

"The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions that I wish it to be always kept alive."

Or was he a griping anti-American Too?