Armstrong runs NY Marathon in 2h59:37

PartisanRanger said:
Nice one, asshole. His VO2Max wasn't the issue. Even Salazar, the former marathon champion who was one of his pacers, said that Armstrong had much greater ease talking during the run than he did. The problem was with the muscular fatigue that Lance incured after pounding the asphalt for 26.2 miles, something he wasn't used to as a cyclist (nor as a runner, as his longest previous run was 16 miles).
At last, someone who actually gets it!!

You go dude!!!

In my opinion it is quite an impressive time, if we consider:it is his first marathon and he has never having run more than 16 miles. If he was truly 180 lbs, the time is even more impressive. I don't believe you will find many runners above 170 lbs that can run a marathon in under 3 hours time. I have never been a big fan of his. His cycling wins for me are clouded with doping allegations. So you can say what you will about him. But I am most impressed with his marathon.

sopas said:
It seems that ARmstrong did not prepared too much for the Marthon. Look at this photo, his body does not look like the body of a runner!!!!!!!!!! He has too much upper body!!!!!!!!

http://external.cache.el-mundo.net/albumes/2006/11/05/maraton/1162748864_extras_albumes_0.jpg

helmutRoole2 said:
I don't know. Maybe we should ask the families of the more than 100,000 dead Iraqis. I have a theory. I'd be willing to bet that those who support the war are also hardcore Lance fans. It's the same mentality.

And I also support the troops. I was one of them. My brother still is.
You guys are a bunch of retards. If you don't kill them, chances are that they foster/become terrorists themselves. And then what? Yeah, there would be 100,000 Americans dead. Which is better? Duh. Why not support the war? Do you want another 9/11 occurance? Its better to fight that wimper in a corner and try and "talk". And if you don't support the war, then support our troops. They need it. While some people argue about Lance and dopers and marathons, they are giving up their lives so you can. Don't be selfish. Go Lance with w/e he wants to do, as long as its not win another TdF. Go Vino for tour 07. Go anyone who doesnt dope.

luv2ride said:
You guys are a bunch of retards. If you don't kill them, chances are that they foster/become terrorists themselves. And then what? Yeah, there would be 100,000 Americans dead. Which is better? Duh. Why not support the war? Do you want another 9/11 occurance? Its better to fight that wimper in a corner and try and "talk". And if you don't support the war, then support our troops. They need it. While some people argue about Lance and dopers and marathons, they are giving up their lives so you can. Don't be selfish. Go Lance with w/e he wants to do, as long as its not win another TdF. Go Vino for tour 07. Go anyone who doesnt dope.
Um...Go crack cocaine in large doses?...

dexjava said:
Um...Go crack cocaine in large doses?...
That was just so far from reality I put my money on a hallucinagenic. I am trying to figure out what killing hundreds of thousands of innocent Iraqis has to do with 9/11.

Reading bone ****ing stupid **** like that just destroys your faith in how workable democracy is.

dexjava said:
on a level playing field. Don't even begin to tell me that he doped but those other guys were clean. He did it on a level playing field.
Doping never produces a level playing field. Some people respond better than others; and judging by Armstrong's pre-Ferrari performances, he is a hyper responder.

dexjava said:
Now what is Lance using his power for? He's using it to fight cancer.
There is a long history in America of people sliming their way to the top then buying redemption with philanthropy. Maybe some people buy into that sham. I don't. Looking at Armstrong's obsession with maintaining his celebrity and the way he treated his teammates and friends, I cannot see his charity work as anything but a cynical method to keep himself in the news. Defrauding cancer patients with tales of racing clean is beyond the pale.

If he wants to do good then he should man up and tell the truth.

Bro Deal said:
Looks like the verdict is in:

DOPER!Hell, I can run under 3:00.

Can you?

Don't forget gain 25LBS before hand and run only for an average 45 Mins a day. That is maybe a 10k of running a day.

If you heard the interview from Alberto Salazar he mentioned that Lance was not really breathing too hard actually he said that he was breathing much harder than Lance.

I believe it is the pounding that took its toll on him. You have to prepare your body for that kind of abuse and running 10k a day does not do it. Trust me I have tried it.

whiteboytrash said:
It was a humbling effort for Lance.. it hurt without the gear... way to much..... again Jalbert ran 2:55 in NY last year in his first run years after his retirement with no pacing and Armstrong runs 2:59 with world class pacers ???? Is the man who won 7 Tours ????
This is pathetic....every top cyclists I have know happen to be the worlds crappiest runners...I wonder if we can recruit a world champion Ethiopian runner or two and turn them into top level cyclists....it wont happen because their body make up is made for running not cycling.....fairly basic really. Some people make good swimmers and others sink like bricks, does a world champion high jumper make a world champion weightlifter? clearly the answer is no. Get over yourselves.

Maybe the anti American/anti Lance brigade can chill out for a while as you sound like broken down old records...whining out the same trash every day....lance is a cheat because of this..lance is a cheat because of that....get over it fellas... he has never tested postive.

luv2ride said:
It's certainly a joke!
If itsn't, I bet Iraqi war has made more terrorrists than ever! Every day american haters are made by this war in Iraq but in many countries, USA himself!
"Everybody" knew there was no connection between 9/11 and Saddam, there was no WMD before the war, but ... hidden intentions were other.
The death of USSR was certainly worst for US government who need other devils.

luv2ride said:
If you feel this strongly I can put you in contact with a US Army recruiter who can put you in the infantry unit of your choice. 2ID is a good one. 101st, 82nd are both airborne units and currently in theatre. You don't even have to be an American to join up. I think the age limit now days is 42, and yes you can have a felony criminal record, debt, speeding tickets and no you don't have to have a high school graduation certificate or diploma.

Or, if you like tanks, I served at Fort Knox for a couple years -- the Home of Armor or as we used to call it **** armor -- and I'm sure I have contacts there. Many armor and Cavalry units over there right now.

I'm telling you, if you like sleeping on the ground for 18 months followed by six months back in the states and another 12 in theatre followed by another 12 in Korea... See, it's not actually suppose to work that way. The way the force was designed was, units were suppose to get six months training, six months in theatre and six months down time. Boy, those were the days.

Just let me know. There's really no excuse for not serving your country.

Bro Deal said:
I would think there would be a fairly good correlation among the people who are informed about the sport. The casual fans and general public are unaware of the rampant drug use, but anyone who follows cycling and has more than two brain cells to rub together has to know what all the top guys are doing. To continue to show blind support for Armstrong indicates that there is some sort of cognitive dissonance.

I think it is tied up with what has become an american belief, that the ends justify the means. That used to be a knock against the communists; it was held up as why the U.S. was better than the marxist regimes. Not anymore. Now if you question the costs or morality of what the administration is doing, you are unamerican and maybe a traitor as well. Armstrong displays the same "with us or against us" attitude of the neocons and he also shares their pleasure at taking petty revenge on those he perceives to be his enemies.

I find it hard to see how someone can disapprove of traits of Dubya and then excuse the same traits in Armstrong.
That's what I was trying say.

daveryanwyoming said:
"The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions that I wish it to be always kept alive."
I'm going to steal this:

I love it....
We are in this forum because we follow a sport that has currently one of it's top athletes jumping from country to country hoping to get to ride again. The other top tier of riders are allowed in their own countries federations, but the word is that they may have a hard time racing in the future.
We have a sport where a doctor is caught with a large quantity of cash/blood and the connection to a major doping center, but he is allowed to practice again within the peleton.
We are fans of a sport that is on the verge of collapsing as we speak at the European Pro Level.
We get to read where a team doctor injected riders, then the team falls apart because of major scandal, but now the team doctor gets promoted to be in charge of entire national program of anti-doping.
Cycing is the joke of the sporting world.

Then Lance runs in a marathon, raises 600,000 dollars for cancer research. And the anti-Lance contingent attack him for being a fraud. Unbelievable. Right now, the Lance/NY Marathon is a bright light in the media for cycling.
When attacking Lance for his role in the NY Marathon the anti's look to be bitter individuals.
Lance just won't go away , will he?

wolfix said:
I love it....
We are in this forum because we follow a sport that has currently one of it's top athletes jumping from country to country hoping to get to ride again. The other top tier of riders are allowed in their own countries federations, but the word is that they may have a hard time racing in the future.
We have a sport where a doctor is caught with a large quantity of cash/blood and the connection to a major doping center, but he is allowed to practice again within the peleton.
We are fans of a sport that is on the verge of collapsing as we speak at the European Pro Level.
We get to read where a team doctor injected riders, then the team falls apart because of major scandal, but now the team doctor gets promoted to be in charge of entire national program of anti-doping.
Cycing is the joke of the sporting world.

Then Lance runs in a marathon, raises 600,000 dollars for cancer research. And the anti-Lance contingent attack him for being a fraud. Unbelievable. Right now, the Lance/NY Marathon is a bright light in the media for cycling.
When attacking Lance for his role in the NY Marathon the anti's look to be bitter individuals.
Lance just won't go away , will he?

I agree. What is the point in attacking Lance for running a marathon? Forget about him. He might well have won the Tour under the influenece of PEDs (shock horror - quel surprise) but he wasn't the only one. Pick a name from the list of possible contenders for next year's Tour - do you reckon any of them have been racing or will be racing on nothing but mineral water? Of course not. Our sport needs to be regulated by a doctors' union and not a cyclists' union. The marathon is a light distraction to the grim reality of the Pro Tour. Drugs have become instituionalised in the sport and I seriously doubt things will improve now that Puerto has been swept under the Spanish rug. Go Basso to Disco! Ivan could probably win all 3 Tours in a season now that he has the world's best doctors preparing, I mean looking after him.

Martin Jackson said:
That's what I've been saying all along. Three hours is a very respectable run for a first-time marathoner. Sure, his natural Vo2max has likely slipped a little, but he's still Lance ****ing Armstrong and he can do anything once he sets his mind to it. Overcoming cancer? Check. Winning the Tour? Check. Winning it seven times? Check. And now running a marathon. Is there nothing he can't do? He should run for president of United States of America. He'd have my vote because a person of such obvious talent in one area is unquestionably talented in all others. And, above reproach. There is no way this man would cheat or cheat others. He's simply god like. Sometimes I'm not sure if he even really exists. He's more than a man. He's like a comic book super hero.

And yes, anyone to put him down is an asshole. Helmut Roole and Bro Deal are two of the biggest assholes on this forum. They are the anti-Lance personified.

And to you, young man: GO CAVS! Got to love those baby cows. Veal! It's what's for dinner.

Holy ****...you are so brainwashed! Republican voter too?

Borg said:
Holy ****...you are so brainwashed! Republican voter too?
Yes, and proud of it. And you? Did you vote democrat this year? Sounds like they took a beating on Tuesday.

luv2ride said:

And you, sir, are an idiot. Are you aware that the US has plans afoot to nuke Iran. Wow...that is really going to help middle-eastern stability and the long-term viability of the US as a world power. Keep prodding at the ants' nest...one day they will bite back and ten-times more ferociously than on 9/11. Do some reading maybe...Iraq is going to be the biggest drain on the US since Vietnam...it still won't be over in ten-years and Bush will go down as the biggest ignoramus in history...

BTW...It's Flanders (with an "s")

Bro Deal said:
You should pry your lips off of Armstrong's backside so you can look around at the real world. Salazar is nearly fifty years old and was last competitive twenty years ago. Armstrong had six positives for EPO in a single Tour, and several near positives. He was juiced to the gills on at least one third of the stages. Now that he is off the sauce and no longer seeing Dr. Ferrari he has reverted to his natural state--and apparently it isn't much.

In order to break three hours, he had to cheat. His posse was getting water and gel packs for him, even tearing the tops off the gels before handing them over.
It's nice to use science instead of biased conjecture sometimes when evaluating someone's guilt or innocence. The doping allegation from the '99 Tour was proven to be riddled with falsehoods, poor testing procedures, and lack of accountability. As bitter as you may be about the prevalence in doping, that doesn't justify condemning Lance when he's never been proven a doper. Suspect him all you want, but without proof your cries of "DOPER!" are just counter-productive.