Armstrong should be worried! (spoiler)

Rocket69

Dec 23, 2003
Wow... what a freggin exciting ITT up Ventoux! I hope Armstrong is "saving" himself for the Tour... can't wait for d'Huez!

1 Iban Mayo (Spa) Euskaltel-Euskadi 55.51
2 Tyler Hamilton (USA) Phonak Hearing Systems 0.33
3 Oscar Sevilla (Spa) Phonak Hearing Systems 1.03
4 Juan Miguel Mercado (Spa) Quick.Step-Davitamon 1.48
5 Lance Armstrong (USA) US Postal presented by BF 1.58

Rocket69

It was a real exciting race. I was pumped. I dont know if Armstrong is saving himself for the tour. I hope he is cause that was an impressive time put up by Mayo. He said he came to win and he wasnt lying.

I don't think LA was saving himself. He has been very public recently about wanting a win on Ventoux to add to his palmares.

You can still get 9 to 1 on Mayo to win the tour (www.mrbookmaker.com). Might be worth sticking a few quid on at those odds. Especially since the teams are limited to losing 2.5mins in the TTT in the tour.

Originally posted by keydates
What is the record ascent up Ventoux?
Average gradient?

average gradient 7.5%

record for TT up Ventoux:
55:51.
set by Mayo.
that would be today.

Wow.

brace yourselves for the fallout; cycling press corp doubting Armstrong, Armstrong denying being worried, etc etc.

I didn't expect Armstrong to win, but no one expected him to lose 2 minutes, did they? talk about a wake-up call...

Originally posted by eduardoSC
average gradient 7.5%

record for TT up Ventoux:
55:51.
set by Mayo.
that would be today.

Wow.

brace yourselves for the fallout; cycling press corp doubting Armstrong, Armstrong denying being worried, etc etc.

I didn't expect Armstrong to win, but no one expected him to lose 2 minutes, did they? talk about a wake-up call...

2 minutes, I’m actually shocked, I halfway expected Mayo to take no more than a handful of seconds out of Armstrong but a 2-minute gap in such a short ride is surprising.

All the talk about Armstrong not riding to win is BS, think about how much of a driven man Lance is and the Dauphine is no small race, plus he’s the defending champ, the tour is just weeks away, I have no doubt he wants to win.

When you said “brace yourselves for the fallout; cycling press corp doubting Armstrong, Armstrong denying being worried, etc etc” you made a great point in that this news will reverberate throughout the peleton and the French press (doping accusations on the Spanish riders without any proof) I hope Lance doesn’t mention being “dehydrated” as an excuse.

ALL riders have bad days even the legends, I remember when Indurain crushed and demoralized everyone in the 96’ Dauphine, his 6th tour was thought to be in the bag, but a little over a month later he lost those precious minutes at the end of a long day in the mountains (said to be hunger knock from not eating and the cold wet weather).

But calling it “hunger knock” or “cramps” or dehydration does not change the fact that it just comes down to a bad day (jour sans).

Remember Lance has an engine (a metabolic one) that has many more miles on it than the likes of Mayo or Sevilla who are reaching their prime stage racing years.

One thing to note if you’re an Armstrong fan is that he has sooo much more experienced than most of his rivals and when he gets ****** off he usually puts in his best rides and leaves everyone in the dust.

God how I live the drama and speculation leading up to the tour, the big question is will we see a “classic tour” like we saw in 89’ ???

Originally posted by Espada9
2 minutes, I’m actually shocked

shocked is exactly the word.
I would've thought Armstrong would be capable of giving him a minute today, and still being comfortable with that.
but two minutes ! that's a Tour-losing ride...

the big question is will we see a “classic tour” like we saw in 89’ ???

in terms of it being wide-open until the very end- and being decided by an extremely narrow margin- quite possible we could.
It's too early to write off LA, surely- he does feed off past disappointments quite well- but based on today I'm afraid to pick a winner between him, Mayo, Tyler, and Jan.

You can still get 9 to 1 on Mayo to win the tour (www.mrbookmaker.com).

I couldn't get to this site from where I am- are they still at 9 to 1, or increasing now??

Impressive ride by Mayo - no doubt.
But one swallow doesn't make a summer and I wouldn't be
writing LA off just yet (and I am a JU fan !!).

Mayo is a good rider and this is not the TDF.

2 minutes and 3 weeks to go.

I've been having quite a few chats to people this afternoon, and the concensus is that LA will not do it this time. There are too many gunning for him.

I like Tyler, then Mayo and then perm any 1 from Lance, Jan and Zubeldia for third spot.

Has anyone taken a look at the photos from today’s stage (Ventoux ITT) posted on cyclingnews.com ??? Amazing, it truly looks like they’re racing on the moon; it also looks like it was very hot which could have influenced to outcome more than anything.
What sort of preparation do you suppose the pros do before such a short intense stage? Do you think any of that “aero” gear helps much on a stage like this?

I was very fast at ITT when I used to race but I never did a mountain ITT (thank god because at 6’ 4” and a racing weight of 193 I couldn’t climb to save my life).

Anyone out there ever raced an up hill ITT???

Has anyone taken a look at the photos from today’s stage (Ventoux ITT) posted on cyclingnews.com ??? Amazing, it truly looks like they’re racing on the moon; it also looks like it was very hot which could have influenced to outcome more than anything.
What sort of preparation do you suppose the pros do before such a short intense stage? Do you think any of that “aero” gear helps much on a stage like this?

I was very fast at ITT when I used to race but I never did a mountain ITT (thank god because at 6’ 4” and a racing weight of 193 I couldn’t climb to save my life).

Anyone out there ever raced an up hill ITT???

Ventoux is protected by plenty of natural growth at the lower slopes but as you cycle upwards, vegatation and other growth gradually disappear.
When it is hot on Ventoux - it is intensified due to the exposure
and the terrain.
I cycled it some years ago in nice cool conditions - it was very tough.
To cycle it when it is warm, must be very very taxing.

Tom Simpson (UK) in 1967 died on Ventoux because, in part, the very hot temperature combined with his system to dehydrate him.

It is a fascinating location - compelling but haunting.

Amphetamines AND heat is what kill Simpson...

Rocket69

Originally posted by limerickman
Ventoux is protected by plenty of natural growth at the lower slopes but as you cycle upwards, vegatation and other growth gradually disappear.
and the terrain.

Tom Simpson (UK) in 1967 died on Ventoux because, in part, the very hot temperature combined with his system to dehydrate him.

and the terrain.

Thanks for the 411 on the giant of Provonce, I know all about the terrain, as well as Tom Simpson.
If I recall (and I’m sure you know all about this issue) Tom Simpson was juiced to the eyeballs on speed and alcohol, which led to his death, temperature aside.

It’s a shame because from what I’ve read about Tom Simpson, he was a real champion who could have gone on to do great things, we’ll never know.

Originally posted by Rocket69
Amphetamines AND heat is what kill Simpson...

Rocket69

I deliberately did not refer to amphetamines in my initial statement.

I deliberately did not refer to amphetamines in my initial statement.
Now if I were a liberal minded complainer who saw a conspiracy around every corner I would be compelled to accuse you of deliberately hiding the truth, and thus being instrumental in poisoning Tom Simpson’s water bottle (as part of a vast right-wing conspiracy).
Happily I’m a well-grounded optimist and would like to believe you left out that “minor” detail to help perpetuate the popular “warm and fuzzy” feeling everyone so desires.

Now if I were a liberal minded complainer who saw a conspiracy around every corner I would be compelled to accuse you of deliberately hiding the truth, and thus being instrumental in poisoning Tom Simpson’s water bottle (as part of a vast right-wing conspiracy).
Happily I’m a well-grounded optimist and would like to believe you left out that “minor” detail to help perpetuate the popular “warm and fuzzy” feeling everyone so desires.

No, I did not refer to Tom Simpson and amphetamines for the simple reason - that Tom paid the ultimate price on the Ventoux in 1967.

There is no "warm and fuzzy" feeling as you contend.

Quick segue: How do you folks keep up with the cycling news? Although I live only an hour and a half out of New York City, I feel like I'm in the boondocks for cycling news. How do you all stay abreast of who's doing what to whom? What are your favorite websites? I know OLN has some weak cycling coverage and I get Velonews, but to be perfectly frank, most of my cycling news I get from this forum.

Originally posted by Trekker2017
Quick segue: How do you folks keep up with the cycling news? Although I live only an hour and a half out of New York City, I feel like I'm in the boondocks for cycling news. How do you all stay abreast of who's doing what to whom? What are your favorite websites? I know OLN has some weak cycling coverage and I get Velonews, but to be perfectly frank, most of my cycling news I get from this forum.

Try cyclingnews.com

Originally posted by Trekker2017

www.cyclingnews.com
www.velonews.com
www.procycling.com