Armstrong should be worried! (spoiler)

Discussion in 'Professional Cycling' started by Rocket69, Jun 10, 2004.

1. keydates

keydates New Member

What's the difference between the record ascents? Meaning: Mayo has been credited for smashing the old record held by Vaughters. However, according to another cycling news article

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/?id=2004/ventoux (scroll down to the picture of Armstrong and Pantani)

it says that Lance Armstrong set the record ascent at 50 minutes, which is much faster than what Mayo did several days ago. So, what's the difference? Could it be classification, ie Armstrong was doing an actual road race, instead of a time trial?

2. ds0709

ds0709 New Member

Not to mention in part he was doping as well right?

3. keydates

keydates New Member

not doping per se, but yes, he was quite high on meth/drunk. Already discussed though earlier in this thread.

4. jhuskey

jhuskey Moderator

I am a Lance fan and would love to see him win 6. According to a friend I have in Switzerland Ullrich's training partner "Steinhauser"(who my friend is acquainted with) says Jan is right on track and will be in top form for the tour.
    He has also won the first stage of the Tour de Suisse.

5. Fixey

Fixey New Member

3 weeks is a long time, I would be surprised indeed if LA had set the record up such a climb 4 weeks before he needs his climbing legs. What amazes me is that he was less than 2 minutes off record pace on a hot day! I think LA and JU will both come out swinging this year, god help anyone who gets in there way!

6. frusso

frusso New Member

Mayo did have a fantastic ITT but we all know the Tour is a three-week TEAM event. No individual will ever win the tour without a strong team behind him. Mayo does not have that type of team. Tyler, Jan and of course Lance have the type of team that is needed to survive and win the tour.

7. eduardoSC

eduardoSC New Member

seems no one answered your question, keydates- but you actually answered it yourself:

yes, Armstrong's 50 minute ascent was during a road stage, and is therefore an unofficial time.

8. DiabloScott

DiabloScott New Member

E-E's Tour team has been selected to provide Mayo with GC helpers - potential stage winners have been left off. Mayo is a much bigger threat than most people think, and can be a real contender if he avoids the dreaded jour sans.

I think Ullrich's team is a bigger concern than Mayo's - Vino, Zabel, Evans... guys who will be going for stage victories and less interested in 1st place for Jan.

Even though Lance was slower than Mayo - he beat his own personal best up Ventoux so you can't say his legs are gone. The "50 minute" number must have been from the other way, and it was during a road stage for sure.

9. leif_ericson

leif_ericson New Member

The 50 minute number was an error by cyclingnews.

10. keydates

keydates New Member

I saw that now today. Thanks anyway.

11. davidbod

davidbod New Member

If you recall last years tour LA came out of the dauphine beat up and tired and it almost cost him in the end. I've seen in articles where he is claiming he was not going to make this mistake again. I think he is right on track and is winding down to come into the tour rested and ready to go.

David

12. Rompinrhino

Rompinrhino New Member

Something to think about here, and something that many people I talk to tend to think. The tour is a couple weeks away. Mayo is doing awsome right now, which probably means that he is peaking. If thats true, then there's no way that he's going to maintain this form through the tour, or up to it. Just something to think about.

13. gntlmn

gntlmn New Member

This is the point I thought everyone else was missing, but you have nailed it here. 2 minutes down from a record pace up Ventoux is probably about as much as a Tour contender would want to do 3 weeks before the event, regardless if he had anymore horsepower to spare. Otherwise, he's taking too much out of himself.

14. gntlmn

gntlmn New Member

And people are mentioning that Mayo is now time trialing well now because of his Ventoux effort and the record time. But that's not really a time trial as much as it's a hill climb. If he were on the flats, it would be a different story for him in the time trial.

15. shlamo

shlamo New Member

Laugh, in hindsight this post is very funny as Mayo is getting creamed in the Tour and Hamilton just dropped out as well.

;)

16. gntlmn

gntlmn New Member

My, how things change. Mont Ventoux will still be exciting, but probably not from these guys, with the exception of Armstrong.

I'll be watching Basso, Virenque closely up Ventoux.

17. gntlmn

gntlmn New Member

I guess you already said it. :D