Armstrong vs LeMond

With one major exception. Found a clip with good old Phil narrating.

0.jpg

Love how the surrender monkey dockworker ran like a sissy from the skinny Badger.

Originally Posted by mpre53
Also, there have been several cases in recent years when the yellow jersey has slowed the peloton when another contender has suffered a crash or a mechanical. Last year, Froome did it when Evans and a few other riders rode over tacks that some asshole threw across the road.
Yes, sportsmanship and graciousness are not dead. When Nibali's victory was all but assured, reporters tried to lead him into gloating or hubris. Nibali never took the bait, always speaking highly of the other contenders and reminding them that the race wasn't over.

This is pretty much expected behavior, but Nibali's class went the extra distance.

Cycling is such a medieval sport: like knights on bikes - heroes, villains, great triumph and humiliating defeat, treachery and chivalry! Something about this sport reveals so much about personal character. Lance Armstrong: miracle man (he survived metastatic cancer) and sociopathic liar - what a combination!

Regarding LeMond, I feel horrible about once casting him as a whiner and sour grapes has-been. Now with the whole ugly truth out there, knowing how badly he was treated by the Trek and Armstrong cabal, I owe him a personal apology. Since he only lives a couple of hours away, perhaps someday I will have a chance to do so in person. Knowing what I know now, I could never again purchase a Trek bicycle, but unfortunately could probably never afford a LeMond. He is finally getting the recognition he deserves and I am thankful for that.

Well, Greg had always been a whiner. If you watch the video of Slaying the Badger, I think it's Hampsten who says that it was how Greg dealt with stress. Not saying that it was a sign of mental weakness on his part. It was more of a coping mechanism. He had to vent. But I don't think that he "whined" about Armstrong. He offered a mild criticism about being "disappointed" when Lance hooked up with Ferrari, and it was Armstrong who went ballistic over it. That's what really started his problems with Trek. Then it got personal.

Originally Posted by Viking55803

Regarding LeMond, I feel horrible about once casting him as a whiner and sour grapes has-been. Now with the whole ugly truth out there, knowing how badly he was treated by the Trek and Armstrong cabal, I owe him a personal apology. Since he only lives a couple of hours away, perhaps someday I will have a chance to do so in person. Knowing what I know now, I could never again purchase a Trek bicycle, but unfortunately could probably never afford a LeMond. He is finally getting the recognition he deserves and I am thankful for that.
Nice one.

Originally Posted by Viking55803

To the public, LeMond is trusting and loquacious, quite the opposite of Armstrong. No wonder they never got along.

Interesting thing happened to me at my LBS today. I took my bike in because my campy shifter needed about 90 bucks worth of love. As I was talking to the mechanic, I noticed a photo on the counter. The photo was of him and Greg riding last week, I think in New Hampshire. This kid is about 23 or 24, and he spent last week out east riding with Greg and about 8 others. This is a shop that's been selling LeMond frames, and that kid couldn't have been happier. Not a bad deal........

Armstrong no doubt.

No one will do the same he did in a very long time, he was not a classic rider or anything, but his TDF titles / gone or not / is amazing.
Greg Lemond sounds like a great guy and he is a good ambassador for the sport. But he is not one of a kind like Lance armstrong.

About Doping.. Some people will say Lemond is the best because he ''did not use doping'', but he did.
I know a dude, he has been riding with him and told me that Lemond was just as much a doper as the rest of the peleton back then.

Well.. nobody peed on this dudes rug.
I understand if you don't believe he has been doping and I don't need to discuss that.
It is something I know for a fact and if you don't agree thats your choice

I kinda sorta think Greggy did a little more than vitamins, but like it was until Lancer admitted, I don't have nothing more than a he said-she said.

I used to like Greg until he turned into the worlds biggest vagina. I still like Lance because he's consistently been a giant asshole and never tried to hide it.

Yeah, the old I know a guy who knows a guy who saw.....thing. Nothing makes me disregard an internet post faster, especially when teammates turned into bitter rivals, with all the reason in the world to hate LeMond's guts, like, oh, say, Fignon, state that they believe he was clean. As does Cyrille Guimard who screamed "cheating" like a banshee when LeMond showed up at that TT with aero bars.

Your buddy missed out on a chance to collect a cool $300K when Lance was offering it to anyone who could come up with proof that LeMond doped.

Bob, Greg was always somewhat of a vag. He whined. A lot. Even after he won in 86, he whined about Hinault sandbagging him. And hasn't ever stopped. I mean, you beat the best rider of his day when he was actually trying to win, rather than tanking it for you? Just shut the **** up and give him props, no matter what you really feel. I like Hinault way more than Greg, and respect him a hell of a lot more. Maybe more than any other cyclist, ever. Total no ******** guy. Didn't take it from the fans, the press, or other riders. He was the boss of the peloton even when he wasn't currently wearing yellow. And wasn't averse to getting off his bike to throw a haymaker at a guy who outweighed him by 50 pounds.

Now, if you're asking me, did someone like Greg's ever-loyal soigneur, Otto, ever stick him with something and tell him that it was "iron", that's a whole 'nother issue.
wink.png

Originally Posted by mpre53 Your buddy missed out on a chance to collect a cool $300K when Lance was offering it to anyone who could come up with proof that LeMond doped.
It is not like everyone walked around with a go pro camera filming people using doping back then. It is so many years ago now, you can't go back in time to get proofs.

All Im saying is that in my opinion Lance is a better cyclist than Lemond, and if you want to say that Lemond is the best because Lance did use doping, you better think twice

Originally Posted by Cbastjan
I understand if you don't believe he has been doping and I don't need to discuss that.
It is something I know for a fact and if you don't agree thats your choice
Fact? Hearsay is not fact and to make such an accusation based on hearsay is vile and in some jurisdictions would be libelous. But hey, this is the internet so I suppose you can say anything you please.

By the way, I do agree that Lance was probably the better cyclist all-round and no one can deny that to return to that level after his recovery from cancer was something miraculous.

Quote by mpre53:
" I like Hinault way more than Greg, and respect him a hell of a lot more. Maybe more than any other cyclist, ever. Total no ******** guy. Didn't take it from the fans, the press, or other riders. He was the boss of the peloton even when he wasn't currently wearing yellow. And wasn't averse to getting off his bike to throw a haymaker at a guy who outweighed him by 50 pounds."

I particularly admire the way he can throw a disruptive spectator of the podium stage! Yeah, massive respect for Hinault. His riding was always solid, forceful and committed IMO.

As far as Greg always being a prima boner, true dat. But after he decided to go after Lance (swift move that) he really seemed to be a poster boy for Midol. Floyd also pushed the envelope a whole lot. I wish Greg and Floyd nothing but the best in life, but jeez! could those guys cry a river. Lance could have bought and owned Floyd. Greg? No amount of tender loving could have satisfied...

Someone please post some pics up of ol' Gert-Jan in his glory and make me laugh!

USADA and USAC tossed Lancer off George's Gran Fondue set for this weekend.

FFS.

Maybe Lance can pull a Ricco and Pirate...er...Cobra his way onto the course.

Johnny T-L rode a Fondue event in England last weekend. Maybe he can tweet some helpful hints to the seven time Tour de France Champion of the World to help him gain entry. And Levi can certainly assist Lance with organizing his very own post-dope fondue. Lance could name it, "The Road Goes On Forever And The Crucifixion Never Ends".

Originally Posted by CAMPYBOB
USADA and USAC tossed Lancer off George's Gran Fondue set for this weekend.

FFS.

Maybe Lance can pull a Ricco and Pirate...er...Cobra his way onto the course.

Johnny T-L rode a Fondue event in England last weekend. Maybe he can tweet some helpful hints to the seven time Tour de France Champion of the World to help him gain entry. And Levi can certainly assist Lance with organizing his very own post-dope fondue. Lance could name it, "The Road Goes On Forever And The Crucifixion Never Ends".

This is going to come back and bite USAC in the ass one of these days, in the form of any non-competitive rides not registering with them and finding alternate ways of insuring itself (and there will be those who are willing to insure them, have no doubt). They might have a stranglehold on competitive events, but Fondos and Tours can fairly easily tell them to just ********.

And whether Lance deserves all he has gotten or not (he has, but that's for another day), this also shows that USADA still has a major boner for Lance. They honestly don't care if he rides in George's Fondo, but they do care to see that an opportunity to say Eff You doesn't go by the way. You know the conversation in the call to USAC was "How can we bar Lance from this event?"

And the Net result now? Lance humbly backs out, George calmly expresses his disappointment and explains that they actually had the green light on this (USAC denies, but I'll wager E-Mails surface soon) making Lance look like the good guy and USAC like the villain. I can't stand Lance-the-bully, and these guys actually made me sympathetic towards him! How is that possible?!?!?! Ye gods, these guys need PR directors who have a clue.

Mountain bike racing had the same issue recently (details kind of escape me at the moment, but it had something to do with licenses), so those races just stopped sanctioning. They back-pedaled kinda fast on that one.