Armstrong, Wife seperate

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Kurgan Gringioni" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>
>

>
> LANCE isn't #3 on the list because he's won the TdF 4 times.
>
> LANCE is #3 because of the Cancer Deathbed Story. Soccermom doesn't know the difference between 2
> TdF victories and 10 TdF victories. Neither do most of those who agonize because a friend or
> relative has the disease. If LANCE retires with his image intact (no USPS drug scandals) he will
> still be the living symbol of hope for the Cancer Victims.

Do you live in the USA? We throw away people and "heroes" like paper waste, when Lance leaves
cycling, he will be in the public eye I say for about 2 years MAX. I am sure there are more
Americans that have a symbol of courage when it comes to cancer from a friend or family member than
some bike racer, no matter how many times he has won the TDF. Oh and by the way he is a DISTANT 3rd
on that list (from your own link) The article is about endorsements.

"Neither Jordan nor the No. 3 sports celebrity, cyclist Lance Armstrong, was close to Woods in
the survey.

Dave

>
> "Dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
> > When Lance gets 1/2 as much as Tiger gets from AMX or Nike, Then I may
> remotely agree with you. MJ
> > retired from the sport and STILL had huge endorsement contracts. When
> Lance retires...I doubt he
> > gets anywhere near what he is getting now.
>
>
>

>
> LANCE isn't #3 on the list because he's won the TdF 4 times.
>
> LANCE is #3 because of the Cancer Deathbed Story. Soccermom doesn't know the difference between 2
> TdF victories and 10 TdF victories. Neither do most of those who agonize because a friend or
> relative has the disease. If LANCE retires with his image intact (no USPS drug scandals) he will
> still be the living symbol of hope for the Cancer Victims.
>
> It has very little to do with cycling. A mere bike racer could never make it that high on the list
> in America.
>
>
>
>
>
> K. Gringioni rbr sociologist

Do you live in the USA? We throw away people and "heroes" like paper waste, when Lance leaves
cycling, he will be in the public eye I say for about 2 years MAX. I am sure there are more
Americans that have a symbol of courage when it comes to cancer from a friend or family member than
some bike racer, no matter how many times he has won the TDF. Oh and by the way he is a DISTANT 3rd
on that list (from your own link) The article is about endorsements.

"Neither Jordan nor the No. 3 sports celebrity, cyclist Lance Armstrong, was close to Woods in
the survey.

Dave

Boydo -- did you sever your Google finger spearing with scissors?

"why is Mario Lemieux famous?"

"He is one of the greatest hockey players in the history of the NHL, if not the greatest. He has won
2 Stanley Cups, 6 scoring titles, and the MVP award 3 times. He is among the Top 10 all-time in
goals, assists and points, and has a point-per-game average only Wayne Gretzky can beat. "

[Note that the following is somewhat out-of-date.]

STATS: Three-goal games: 25 Four-goal games: 9 Five-goal games: 3 Longest Scoring Streak: 46 games
Power-play goals: 201 Shorthanded goals: 47

RECORDS: Highest goal-per-game average: .823 Overtime points: 19 Overtime goals: 9 Short-handed
goals, single-season: 13 (1988-1989) Goals, playoff game: 5 (April 25, 1989) Game-winning goals,
single-season playoffs: 5 (1992) Points, playoff game: 8 (April 25, 1989) Goals, playoff game-one
period: 4 (April 25, 1989) Points, All-Star game: 6 (1988) Goals, All-Star game: 4 (1990) Goals,
Penguins rookie: 43 (1984-1985) Assists, Penguins rookie: 57 (1984-1985) Points, Penguins rookie:
100 (1984-1985) Goals, Penguins single-season: 85 (1988-1989) Assists, Penguins single-season: 114
(1988-1989) Points, Penguins single-season: 199 (1988-1989)

MISCELLANEOUS: Third rookie in NHL history to score 100 points in a season (1984-1985) Involved in
57.3% of team's goals in 1988-1989, the highest percentage in NHL history One of three players to
record over 100 assists in a single season (1988-1989) Second fastest player to reach 1,000 points
in a career Member of Stanley Cup winning team for 1990-1991 and 1991-1992 seasons. Became only
player in history to score even-strength, power-play, shorthanded, penalty shot and empty net goals
in a single game. (December 31, 1988) Scored 50 or more goals in a season 6 times. Became 20th
player in NHL history to score 500 goals Became 9th player in NHL history to score 1,400 career
points. Lead NHL in goals 3 seasons. Lead NHL in assists 4 seasons. Lead NHL in points 6 seasons.
Scored 282 points (133 goals, 149 assists) in 1983-1984 for Laval of the QMJHL. Only player to score
over 30 power play goals in two seasons

"Boyd Speerschneider" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> "trdina" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
>
> > All that list is reflects is who dumbasses and dipshit chicks recognize. Take a look at Gretzky,
> > for instance. When they were both in their prime, Lemieux was twice the player that Gretzky was
> > (and Lemieux smoked). The only reason that Gretzky gets any attention from US advertisers is
> > because he moved to LA and married Janet Jones (or whatever that Hollywood Trophy's name was
> > before it was Janet Gretzky).
> >
> > BTW: Lemieux is also a cancer survivor....
>
> You're showing your ignorance of hockey here.
>
> I'm not expert, but I know Gretzky holds the record for most goals scored (among others). He also
> won the Stanley Cup (the NHL championship, for the hockey illiterate out there) at least a couple
> of times with the Edmonton Oilers.
>
> Last time I checked, Lemieux had done neither of these.
>
> - Boyd

> You're showing your ignorance of hockey here.
>
> I'm not expert, but I know Gretzky holds the record for most goals scored

Do you mean in his carreer or in a single season...?

> (among others). He also won the Stanley Cup (the NHL championship, for the hockey illiterate out
> there) at least a couple of times with the Edmonton Oilers.
>
> Last time I checked, Lemieux had done neither of these.

Mario put his name on the stanley cup twice, douchebag. I'll let you figure out which years.

What was that about showing ignorance...?

> - Boyd

"hold my beer and watch this..." <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

>
> "Boyd Speerschneider" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
>> You're showing your ignorance of hockey here.
>>
>> I'm not expert, but I know Gretzky holds the record for most goals scored
>
> Do you mean in his carreer or in a single season...?
>
>> (among others). He also won the Stanley Cup (the NHL championship, for the hockey illiterate out
>> there) at least a couple of times with the Edmonton Oilers.
>>
>> Last time I checked, Lemieux had done neither of these.
>
> Mario put his name on the stanley cup twice, douchebag. I'll let you figure out which years.
>
> What was that about showing ignorance...?
>
>> - Boyd

Brian,
1) There is no need to get personal. Did I call you a name? Grow up.
2) Like I said, I'm not expert. I was ignorant of the fact the Lemieux had won 2 stanley cups. The
difference between you and I is that I'm man enough to admit it.
3) Lemeuix may have come back from cancer, and that is very commendable (As someone else had said,
however, it was probably due to his previous smoking habit). But he's not the best to ever play
the game. Read on...

from NHL.com

In 1,487 games, Gretzky tallied 894 goals and 1,963 assists for 2,857 total points in his
high-scoring career. Wayne Gretzky -- Gretzky didn't get the nickname "The Great One" for nothing.
The NHL's all-time leading scorer not only won four Stanley Cups in his career, he also holds almost
every scoring record in NHL history. In 1,487 games, Gretzky tallied 894 goals and 1,963 assists for
2,857 total points in his high-scoring career. The Brantford, Ontario native also won nine Hart
trophies as the League's MVP, 10 Art Ross trophies as the NHL's top scorer and two Conn Smyth
Trophies as the playoff's most valuable player. The 20-year veteran appeared in the All-Star Game
every year in his career. Gretzky, who was voted a First Team All-Star eight times in his career,
also was the only player ever to be named win the game's MVP while representing three different
teams. No. 99 holds the individual records for most goals (92), assists (163) and points (215) in
the regular season. He also is the highest scoring center in League history. During his time in the
NHL, Gretzky registered 14 100-or-more point seasons, four 200-point seasons, nine 50-or-more goal
seasons, five 60-or-more goal seasons and two 80-or-more goal seasons. His No. 99 was retired by the
League after he hung up his skates for good after the 1998-99 season. He was inducted into the
Hockey Hall of Fame on Nov. 22, 1999.

So I was wrong... he won the Stanley cup *4* times. You just can't front on that.

- Boyd

"Bruce Johnston" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I can't believe it. Who would of thought those two would ever break up
based
> on just what you see on the media. They always look happy together, but yeah, what goes on behind
> closed doors is another matter. Well, that won't bode well for his squeaky clean image and his
> causes. But on the other
hand,
> it shouldn't hurt them greatly either. It could hurt his chances for the TDF, [if] it really is
> bothering him. Nothing like problems at home to
screw
> up a guy's head.
>
>
>
> Bruce

Maybe he finally got around to reading those dopey Kristin's Corner diaries from some years
ago. Barf...

Glenn Butzlaff

So?

Who cares....

I never liked the ******* anyway.

AJB

brian roth wrote:

>Google can take up to 9 hours to post, so it's likely this will be old news, but here it is anyway.
>From the Austin American Statesman:
>
>
>
>By Suzanne Halliburton
>
>AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF
>
>Saturday, February 22, 2003
>
>Lance and Kristin Armstrong, one of the highest-profile couples in international sports, said
>Friday that they have separated after 4 1/2 years of marriage.
>
>Lance Armstrong, the Austin-based cyclist and four-time defending Tour de France champion, will
>leave for Spain on Monday to prepare for the European cycling season. Kristin Armstrong and the
>couple's three young children will remain in Austin.
>
>The Armstrongs, both 31, provided a statement to the American-Statesman on Friday that they were
>having unspecified marital difficulties.
>
>"We are working through these sensitive issues in the same way we have met other challenges in our
>life -- together with determination and dedication," the statement said. "We may experience a
>period of time apart from each other as we reflect on our relationship and work to preserve and
>protect the interests of our family and children."
>
>The two separated in late January and have been living apart since. Lance Armstrong has been
>staying at another house, a family retreat, that he owns southwest of Austin. The couple also owns
>a home in Girona, Spain, Armstrong's European base for the six-month-long cycling season.
>
>This summer, Armstrong could become only the second rider to win five straight Tour de France
>races. For each of the four previous titles, Kristin Armstrong was by his side on the victory stand
>in Paris.
>
>Their story -- his overcoming testicular cancer, her efforts to have children, their fund-raising
>for cancer survivors -- has been widely told and hailed as inspirational for thousands. The Lance
>Armstrong Foundation raised about $2.7 million last year; both of the Armstrongs have helped to
>raise money for the foundation, but neither is involved in itsdaily operations.
>
>Last weekend, the foundation raised about $500,000 at its Live to Ride Gala in Austin. But Kristin
>Armstrong was out of town and did not attend, the first public clue of their separation.
>
>For six years, the sporting world has watched Lance Armstrong's recovery and rise to the top of
>cycling, accompanied by his rise to the top of sports marketing. His autobiography was a best
>seller, and he was last year's Sportsman of the Year, as chosen by Sports Illustrated. His
>relationship with Kristin and their growing family has been a key part of the story.
>
>The two became friends in January 1997, when Kristin was working for a local advertising firm and
>met Lance through her volunteer work with the foundation. At the time, Lance was only one month
>removed from his chemotherapy treatments for advanced testicular cancer and still two years away
>from his first Tour title.
>
>The two started dating in June 1997 and were engaged that October. They married in May 1998 in
>Santa Barbara, Calif., near where Kristin and her family spent summer vacations when she was
>growing up.
>
>The two soon began talking about starting a family. Because Lance's cancer treatments could have
>made him sterile, he banked his sperm immediately after his diagnosis. Kristin began the in vitro
>fertilization process in December 1998, chronicling her story in a pull-no-punches diary published
>on Lance's official Web site.
>
>The couple's first child, Luke, was born in October 1999, three months after Lance Armstrong's
>first Tour de France victory. Twins Grace and Isabella -- also conceived through in vitro
>fertilization -- were born in November 2001.
>
>Less than two months ago, the couple was featured in local advertising in support of the Fertile
>Hope 5K race to raise awareness for the infertility problems of female cancer survivors. Kristin
>was one of the main organizers of the event.
>
>Kristin Armstrong also appeared with her husband in 1999-2000 in a commercial for
>Bristol-Myers-Squibb, the pharmaceutical company that produced the chemotherapy drugs he credited
>with saving his life.
>
>In addition, Lance Armstrong has endorsement deals with Coca-Cola, Nike and several cycling
>equipment companies, and recently signed a $12.5 million endorsement deal with Subaru. The first of
>the six commercials featuring Armstrong will be aired in April.
>
>Armstrong's new Coke commercial premiered during Sunday's Daytona 500. He also is set to appear in
>regional commercials for Comcast.
>
>Bill Stapleton, Armstrong's Austin-based agent, said that Armstrong's major sponsors have been
>informed of the couple's separation.
>
>"I spoke to Lance's sponsors prior to their (separation) announcement," Stapleton said Friday.
>"They remain very supportive and are hoping for the best for the two of them and their children."
>
>

--

> Brian,
> 1) There is no need to get personal. Did I call you a name? Grow up.
> 2) Like I said, I'm not expert. I was ignorant of the fact the Lemieux had won 2 stanley cups. The
> difference between you and I is that I'm man enough to admit it.
> 3) Lemeuix may have come back from cancer, and that is very commendable (As someone else had said,
> however, it was probably due to his previous smoking habit). But he's not the best to ever play
> the game. Read on...

I disagree about Lemieux not being the best player ever (but the point is arguable). However, a MUCH
STRONGER case can be made that Lemieux is the best hockey player ever than for Lance being the best
cyclist ever. Even if he wins 5 (or more) tours, he's won only a handful of classics, he's never won
the giro, vuelta, roubaix, flanders, etc., etc., etc. Even if Lance won every other race he entered
until the end of his career, his palmares would still not equal those of Mr. Merckx.

My point is this: Armstrong isn't the best cyclist ever. He's not the 1st stellar athlete to come
back to the pinnacle of his sport following cancer. He's also not the most likable guy out there.
The reason that he gets the attention that he does is that he's a good-looking American guy who
chicks like Katie Couric (and her dipshit viewers) get all most over during interviews. Now mark
you: I don't think that the guy has to be a saint, I don't begrudge him or anyone else for
commanding star power, and I certainly think he's been great for both cycling and the cancer
community. That being said, I think its silly when people who don't pay attention to other sports
want to act like the guy walks on water.

Oh, and I still think you're a douchebag for telling me I don't know anything about hockey, then
making a post that said that Lemieux never won the Stanley Cup.

"hold my beer and watch this...

That was supposed to read '...get all MOIST over....'

Sorry

> I disagree about Lemieux not being the best player ever (but the point is arguable). However, a
> MUCH STRONGER case can be made that Lemieux is the best hockey player ever than for Lance being
> the best cyclist ever. Even
if
> he wins 5 (or more) tours, he's won only a handful of classics, he's never won the giro, vuelta,
> roubaix, flanders, etc., etc., etc. Even if Lance
won
> every other race he entered until the end of his career, his palmares
would
> still not equal those of Mr. Merckx.
>
> My point is this: Armstrong isn't the best cyclist ever. He's not the 1st stellar athlete to come
> back to the pinnacle of his sport following
cancer.
> He's also not the most likable guy out there. The reason that he gets the attention that he does
> is that he's a good-looking American guy who chicks like Katie Couric (and her dipshit viewers)
> get all most over during interviews. Now mark you: I don't think that the guy has to be a saint, I
> don't begrudge him or anyone else for commanding star power, and I
certainly
> think he's been great for both cycling and the cancer community. That
being
> said, I think its silly when people who don't pay attention to other
sports
> want to act like the guy walks on water.
>
> Oh, and I still think you're a douchebag for telling me I don't know anything about hockey, then
> making a post that said that Lemieux never won the Stanley Cup.
>
>

On Sun, 23 Feb 2003 18:19:51 +0800, Alan J Bishop <[email protected]> wrote:

>So?
>
>Who cares....
>
>I never liked the ******* anyway.
>
>AJB
>

Apparently you do! Sounds like you have a bit of penis envy and part dog in you! <VBG>

BJA

>
> "Bruce Johnston" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> >
> > Lance doesn't carry the star power that MJ or MJ carries. When the other
> MJ
> > was accused of fooling around with young boys, it didn't affect his star power. It all depends
> > on how big of a star you are. Cycling is not a top sport here in the US, and in the huge scheme
> > of things Lance is average
> star
> > when compared to all the other big stars for Top Sports.
>
>
>
>
> Bruce, you really have your head up your ass. Just because most racers get zero recognition
> doesn't mean that LANCE doesn't.
>

You're dreaming Henry. Lance is the "media" star that he is because of his "story". I doubt
seriously that if he did not come back from cancer, he'd be the media star that he is regardless of
TDF victories. I'm not complaining just stating the obvious.

Danny Callen

From all I've heard on sports talk radio the general consensus is that Lemieux would probably have
eclipsed many of Gretsky's accomplishments had his career not been plagued by injury. Aside from
cancer, I think his back gave him a lot of problems. His numbers are amazing considering it was rare
that he played a full season.

Wade

Boyd Speerschneider wrote in message ...
>"hold my beer and watch this..." <[email protected]> wrote in
>news:[email protected]:
>
>>
>> "Boyd Speerschneider" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>
>>> You're showing your ignorance of hockey here.
>>>
>>> I'm not expert, but I know Gretzky holds the record for most goals scored
>>
>> Do you mean in his carreer or in a single season...?
>>
>>> (among others). He also won the Stanley Cup (the NHL championship, for the hockey illiterate out
>>> there) at least a couple of times with the Edmonton Oilers.
>>>
>>> Last time I checked, Lemieux had done neither of these.
>>
>> Mario put his name on the stanley cup twice, douchebag. I'll let you figure out which years.
>>
>> What was that about showing ignorance...?
>>
>>> - Boyd
>
>Brian,
>1) There is no need to get personal. Did I call you a name? Grow up.
>2) Like I said, I'm not expert. I was ignorant of the fact the Lemieux had won 2 stanley cups. The
> difference between you and I is that I'm man enough to admit it.
>3) Lemeuix may have come back from cancer, and that is very commendable (As someone else had said,
> however, it was probably due to his previous smoking habit). But he's not the best to ever play
> the game. Read on...
>
>from NHL.com
>
>In 1,487 games, Gretzky tallied 894 goals and 1,963 assists for 2,857 total points in his
>high-scoring career. Wayne Gretzky -- Gretzky didn't get the nickname "The Great One" for nothing.
>The NHL's all-time leading scorer not only won four Stanley Cups in his career, he also holds
>almost every scoring record in NHL history. In 1,487 games, Gretzky tallied 894 goals and 1,963
>assists for 2,857 total points in his high-scoring career. The Brantford, Ontario native also won
>nine Hart trophies as the League's MVP, 10 Art Ross trophies as the NHL's top scorer and two Conn
>Smyth Trophies as the playoff's most valuable player. The 20-year veteran appeared in the All-Star
>Game every year in his career. Gretzky, who was voted a First Team All-Star eight times in his
>career, also was the only player ever to be named win the game's MVP while representing three
>different teams. No. 99 holds the individual records for most goals (92), assists (163) and points
>(215) in the regular season. He also is the highest scoring center in League history. During his
>time in the NHL, Gretzky registered 14 100-or-more point seasons, four 200-point seasons, nine
>50-or-more goal seasons, five 60-or-more goal seasons and two 80-or-more goal seasons. His No. 99
>was retired by the League after he hung up his skates for good after the 1998-99 season. He was
>inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame on Nov. 22, 1999.
>
>So I was wrong... he won the Stanley cup *4* times. You just can't front on that.
>
>- Boyd

"steve" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:BA7D55D1.2D73A%[email protected]...
> Appeal and $ received for endorsements are 2 different things
assclown......

Your level of thinking (with no basis in fact) has never ceased to amaze me.

From: http://taipeitimes.com/chnews/2001/08/05/story/0000097248

But the American knows he doesn't get the kind of mega-sponsorships offered to stars in major US
sports such as basketball, baseball and football. "Cycling isn't golf, it isn't baseball," said
Armstrong, whose endorsements are worth US$17 million a year, according to the Italian newspaper
Gazzetta Dello Sport. "But people recognize the effort, they recognize the story, they recognize the
illness. That's nice. That's an honor."

<snip><end>

Jordan made an estimated $30million/year in endorsements. Tiger makes more than that. Lance is 3rd.

"Bruce Johnston" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Listen you jackass sack of ****. If you were to say that to my face, I
would
> put you on your back in a texas second. You are a sports marketing
executive
> that probaby sits on his ass all day.

Dearest Bruce -

I'm not a sports marketing executive and have never been involved in that field.

>You probably don't even ride a bike.

Approximately 600 races in 11 years.

>Do you normally go around telling people in the office that they have their heads up their ass? I
>didn't train in Martial Arts for 12 years to take **** like that from you. I hope I don't run into
>your sorry ass, because I am sure I will kick it!!

I am telling you that you have your head up your ass because on this issue it is an accurate
characterization.

I've cited 3 sources that contradict your position. You have offered: ZERO.

thank you very much,

K. Gringioni

"steve" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:BA7D5676.2D73B%[email protected]...
> Wrong again assclown..........
>
> It is because of his cancer AND he went on to be the worlds best cyclist.........
>
> Too many people have had cancer. How many people survived cancer AND accomplished his
> physical feats??

As Trdina noted: Mario Lemiuex.

Lance is the 3rd most appealing sports marketing spokesman because his story is so melodramatic. He
had cancer in his testicles, lungs, abdomen and brain, surgery to remove the tumors, lots of
chemotherapy. He came back from the dead.

Lemieux's story isn't nearly as melodramatic.

Greg Lemond won 3 TdF's, 2 world championships. He came back from getting shot. Lance made more
money in endorsements after 1 TdF win than Lemond did in his entire career (all Lemond got from the
mainstream was that bad Taco Bell commercial). Lemond's story wasn't nearly as compelling because he
got shot by his stupid-ass brother in law. People don't identify with getting shot by your
stupid-ass brother in law. Coming back from the dead is something anyone can empathize with because
we're all going to die someday.

It isn't about cycling. It's all about the melodrama.

From: http://taipeitimes.com/chnews/2001/08/05/story/0000097248

But the American knows he doesn't get the kind of mega-sponsorships offered to stars in major US
sports such as basketball, baseball and football.

"Cycling isn't golf, it isn't baseball," said Armstrong, whose endorsements are worth US$17 million
a year, according to the Italian newspaper Gazzetta Dello Sport. "But people recognize the effort,
they recognize the story, they recognize the illness. That's nice. That's an honor."

<snip><end

"Danny Callen" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> >
> > Bruce, you really have your head up your ass. Just because most racers
get
> > zero recognition doesn't mean that LANCE doesn't.
> >
>
> You're dreaming Henry. Lance is the "media" star that he is because of his "story". I doubt
> seriously that if he did not come back from cancer, he'd
be
> the media star that he is regardless of TDF victories. I'm not complaining just stating the
> obvious.

Hey dumbass:

that's the point I was making.

Status
Not open for further replies.