Armstrong will collapse in Luz-Ardiden!

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Keith, Jul 21, 2003.

  1. Keith

    Keith Guest

    Judging by the Tourmalet climb, Armstrong's had it or rather Ullrich is just too strong.

    Tags:

  2. Keith

    Keith Guest

    >"Keith" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >> Judging by the Tourmalet climb, Armstrong's had it or rather Ullrich is just too strong.
    >
    >Spot on observation.

    Yup, my bad, Good job there weren't 5 more kilometers though...He lost 10 seconds in the last
    kilometer. Of course that asswipe Mayo stole 4 seconds from Ulrich

  3. David Ryan

    David Ryan Guest

    Keith wrote:

    > >"Keith" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > >> Judging by the Tourmalet climb, Armstrong's had it or rather Ullrich is just too strong.
    > >
    > >Spot on observation.
    >
    > Yup, my bad, Good job there weren't 5 more kilometers though...He lost 10 seconds in the last
    > kilometer. Of course that asswipe Mayo stole 4 seconds from Ulrich

    If there were 5 more K's Ullrich blows at that pace. Can you imaging 5 more K's for Cipo after his
    leadout pulls off?

  4. Zeno

    Zeno Guest

    Keith wrote:
    >>"Keith" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >>
    >>>Judging by the Tourmalet climb, Armstrong's had it or rather Ullrich is just too strong.
    >>
    >>Spot on observation.
    >

    > Yup, my bad, Good job there weren't 5 more kilometers though...He lost 10 seconds in the last
    > kilometer. Of course that asswipe Mayo stole 4 seconds from Ulrich

    Yeah, and if those added 5k were at 10%, Lance would have picked up another minute on Jan.

    Mayo would have been crazy to give Ullrich anything at the line in front of 20K screaming Basque
    fans. What happened 10K down the mountain was ancient history at the finish. Mayo let Jan do the
    work so he could save himself for the finish -- that's bike racing and not in the least bit unfair.

    zeno

  5. K. J. Papai

    K. J. Papai Guest

    Keith <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Judging by the Tourmalet climb, Armstrong's had it or rather Ullrich is just too strong.

    You're definitely the expert.

    Nice call.

  6. Corey Green

    Corey Green Guest

  7. Keith <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Judging by the Tourmalet climb, Armstrong's had it or rather Ullrich is just too strong.

    Ullrich might have lost time due to a tactical error. Hard to say yet. need time to reivew the
    video. If this is the case Armstrong could still be in trouble. On the otherhand Armstrong's team is
    so strong that it will be hard for Ullrich to counter him.

  8. Mr. Toast

    Mr. Toast Guest

    Keith <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > >"Keith" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > >> Judging by the Tourmalet climb, Armstrong's had it or rather Ullrich is just too strong.
    > >
    > >Spot on observation.
    >
    > Yup, my bad, Good job there weren't 5 more kilometers though...He lost 10 seconds in the last
    > kilometer. Of course that asswipe Mayo stole 4 seconds from Ulrich

    Yeah, and if there were 50 more kilometers that solo attack would have cost Lance the tour!

    Retard.

  9. Mack Mad

    Mack Mad Guest

    "Mr. Toast" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Keith <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > > >Spot on observation.
    > >
    > > Yup, my bad, Good job there weren't 5 more kilometers though...He lost 10 seconds in the last
    > > kilometer. Of course that asswipe Mayo stole 4 seconds from Ulrich
    >
    > Yeah, and if there were 50 more kilometers that solo attack would have cost Lance the tour!
    >
    > Retard.

    If you paid any attention you would have noticed that the reason they closed down some time in that
    last kilometer was because Mayo and Zubeldia, fresh as daisies from their wheelsucking, finally came
    to the front and pushed the pace to try to take both 2nd and 3rd from Ullrich. Ullrich showed his
    strength and at least got 3rd.

  10. Mack Mad wrote:

    > If you paid any attention you would have noticed that the reason they closed down some time in
    > that last kilometer was because Mayo and Zubeldia, fresh as daisies from their wheelsucking,
    > finally came to the front and pushed the

    Please tell me how you become as fresh as a daisy from "wheelsucking" on a 7% gradient climb. The
    only part where it is relevant at Luz-Ardiden is near the top in the last 2km where the gradient
    lessens and you can use the big ring IIRC.

    Ullrich was caught in "no man's land"; he had to take back time on the road but by doing so he could
    not prevent Mayo from coming round and taking the bonus seconds (deals have to be done _first_). If
    he'd dropped back and let Mayo set the tempo he might have taken the 8s bonus but wouldn't have
    taken back 25s on the road. Which do you think was more important overall?

  11. Raptor

    Raptor Guest

    Stewart Fleming wrote:

    > Mack Mad wrote:
    >
    >> If you paid any attention you would have noticed that the reason they closed down some time in
    >> that last kilometer was because Mayo and Zubeldia, fresh as daisies from their wheelsucking,
    >> finally came to the front and pushed the
    >

    > Please tell me how you become as fresh as a daisy from "wheelsucking" on a 7% gradient climb. The
    > only part where it is relevant at Luz-Ardiden is near the top in the last 2km where the gradient
    > lessens and you can use the big ring IIRC.

    Those animals climb those mountains at an incredible 13-15 mph, just fast enough for drafting to
    have an effect, particularly so for light riders.