Armstrong

instinct2

Apr 7, 2005
What type of components does Armstrong use on his Trek Bike? Are they different from what they sell us or do they change them?

instinct2 said:
What type of components does Armstrong use on his Trek Bike? Are they different from what they sell us or do they change them?
I'm sure a little digging online could turn up the current component profile for Lance's rides. Generally, it's off the shelf stuff; Shimano Dura Ace 10spd, Bontrager wheels, stem and handlbars, and so on.

One thing to note is that a guy like Lance in particular, like a handful of other big-money stars, spends time testing and racing prototype stuff as well--from time to time, he'll be on an unnamed set of aero bars or a new frame. It usually goes to market soon after (the Trek Madone frame is a notable current example).

As Lokstah said, mostly off-the-shelf. I've read that on his climbing bike he's a bit of a weight-weanie, and substitutes a bunch of titanium bolts, but again they're available to anyone who wants to play the game. The only component where I've seen non-available-to-the-public items is wheels; if memory serves he had some Bontrager 110 CF tubular wheels last year which were not a normal item.

Word of note:
Using the bike Lance rides, and using the same components Lance has on his bike, WILL NOT make you ride like Lance (unless you've got the 'engine' to do so) :D

Peace.

In general, the parts are off the shelf. Like the above poster, you will see some prototype equipment from time to time, for example...the Treks that Discovery were riding in P-R and other classics were protos.

I do know that the old 9-speed DA "pro" shifters (with large Shimano logo on the levers) had stiffer springs than standard DA shifters....

You can always drill out your parts like Iban Mayo`s ride in last years Dauphine....

However, riding the piece of junk I use to have wouldn't allow Lance to ride like Lance!

e_guevara said:
Word of note:
Using the bike Lance rides, and using the same components Lance has on his bike, WILL NOT make you ride like Lance (unless you've got the 'engine' to do so) :D

Peace.