Armstrong's advance retirement notice: why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
MJtje said:
Hinault made a comment who will be the big stars in the future:

1) Valverde
2) Cunego
3) Popovych
4) T. Dekker

Out of these, I'd place Popo at the top. Valverde's already burned this Tour, and Cunego didn't even make it there this year. He was overhyped, I think. We'll see if last year's Giro was the high point of his career.

As for Basso, I think the Giro served to be a good training ride for the Tour. He didn't intend for it to be that way, but his getting sick held him back from really overextending himself for the win. Now he's riding a fine Tour, and indeed he looks like a force to be reckoned with next year. But I'm not so sure he'll be better next year than this year. He's already improved his TT. Popo is younger and hasn't reached his prime yet. My guess is that Popo will be the man. The reason I say this is that he dominated in the amateurs like Merckx dominated the pros. Eventually, he'll get there, and I think it may be next year. So Basso will be dueling not this year's Popo, but next year's. It will be interesting to see how this turns out. Valverde and Cunego might be in the mix too.

Hinault is a 'paid shill' for the Tour promoters. Nothing he says can be considered honest or objective.

He is a celebrity face and shill.

Popovych will win the next 10 Tours if he gets the LA secret sauce and Ferrari's supervision.

Otherwise, fill in the blank. Secret sauce & ______!

Maybe LA will return for an 8th TDF. Why not?

It's like watching paint dry. No race, just pharma science superiority.

wolfix said:
Basso seems to be the man of the next few years. With a few moves to get some help in the mountains and maybe just an attack upon the Tour,he amy be unstoppable. Riis seems to be a good DS. But the team still has to realize a sponsor for next year. Basso hasn't cracked this year and I don't remember if he did last year. And barring sickness at the Giro he might have taken that. He is at the prime age. As far as Hinaults opinion .. Who gives a ######. Lemond learned that when Hinaults mouth was open nothing worthy to hear or trust would ever come from it. Hinault was only a 5 time winner because Lemond was forced to give him a gift. Hinaults sneaky ways should be a reminder to all non-French riders to avoid French Teams. The term "Badger " was a true nickname because it describes a rodent who feeds on dead carcasses.

gntlmn said:
That's speculation about Vino. We don't know for sure if he'll be at Discovery. Also, Popo may be the stronger man next year anyway, even if he does. Remember Armstrong was 24 during the 1996 Tour de France, turning 25 by the time he was diagnosed with cancer in October of that year. He was quite a bit stronger as a tour rider when he finally made his comeback in 1999, when he was 27, almost 28. Alexandre Vinokourov, on the other hand, was born in 1973. This means age will be working against him next year. It will work in Popo's favor.

Valverde, even younger than Popo, seems to have a brighter future than Vinokourov. But I doubt he'd go to Discovery. Maybe they'll get Vino for the Giro or for the Vuelta, and perhaps in a support role for the Tour de France. That might actually play in Popo's favor. We'll have to see how the trades go this fall/winter.
I can´t see Vino in Discovery because Discovery was created to represent the american cycling in Europe, and Lance wants it to support the american cycling after his retirement. They´ll try to get a big american name and if they can´t they´ll build around Popo. Vino is a long shot I´d say.

Great drugs combined with Team tactics (sit on with permission and a great excuse as guys curse at you).

Maybe George had Johan turn up the volume for Black Sabbith so he could avoid hearing the insults. In the same way LA fans think doping is not part of TDF preparations.

Anyway, doping & tactics---it works great when you are on the Team with the best stuff.

Now for a Hydrogen Peroxide bath!

Ullefan said:
So flyer, what do you think of George's mountain top win?

Flyer said:
Great drugs combined with Team tactics (sit on with permission and a great excuse as guys curse at you).

Maybe George had Johan turn up the volume for Black Sabbith so he could avoid hearing the insults. In the same way LA fans think doping is not part of TDF preparations.

Anyway, doping & tactics---it works great when you are on the Team with the best stuff.

Now for a Hydrogen Peroxide bath!
so unless you suck and don't win anything, you're doping? and if you are able to raise your game at all and change your riding style, you are cheating?

sure. i believe you. altho', it would be nice to see some E.V.I.D.E.N.C.E other than he rides for a team you hate!!!

It's interesting to note that when GH wheelsucks in support of the MJ, it's a terrible thing from that evil, scheming, high tech doping DC team.

Yet when Mayo and Zubeldia do exactly the same thing on Luz Ardiden in 2003 - wheelsuck Jan the whole way up and then dust him off at the top - it's considered smart tactics.

Flyer said:
Tactical business and legal reasons.

Cycling and the Tour are businesses, not a Corinthean sport.

LA is fighting six (6) lawsuits presently and two criminal investigations.

The wind, momentum and financial settlements all decline if he quits---or bluffs quiting, settles the cases. He can always change his mind later.

Think as a corporate weasle does and the tactics become clear.

It ain't about the bike.
eerr

Status
Not open for further replies.