Armstrongs Amstel Gold:I'm not much interested in another second at Amstel!"

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Heinz Getzler, Apr 22, 2003.

  1. (http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/?id=2003/apr03/apr22news2) "I only need a reference (form check) in
    Amstel and I'm happy where I am," he said. "It's the reason I didn't contest the sprint. I hate to
    say it, but I'm not much interested in another second at Amstel!"

    I was bit disappointed to hear that Armstrong would make such a comment. But it's like Eddy Merckx
    has said: You can never trust the comments of rider who finishes second. Despite the fact that
    Armstrong finished 8th he is simply making excuses.

    Tags:

  2. "Heinz Getzler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > (http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/?id=2003/apr03/apr22news2) "I only need a reference (form check)
    > in Amstel and I'm happy where I am," he said. "It's the reason I didn't contest the sprint. I hate
    > to say it, but I'm not much interested in another second at Amstel!"
    >
    > I was bit disappointed to hear that Armstrong would make such a comment. But it's like Eddy Merckx
    > has said: You can never trust the comments of rider who finishes second. Despite the fact that
    > Armstrong finished 8th he is simply making excuses.

    "2nd place, 3rd place, what's the difference? The only place that matters is first"

    - Sean Kelly, after 1989 Worlds

    and Mr. Kelly was/is right. No one remembers who finished in 2nd place.

  3. Robert Chung

    Robert Chung Guest

    "Kurgan Gringioni" wrote
    > "2nd place, 3rd place, what's the difference? The only place that matters
    is
    > first"
    >
    > - Sean Kelly, after 1989 Worlds
    >
    > and Mr. Kelly was/is right. No one remembers who finished in 2nd place.

    Though perhaps they should. I've often thought it vaguely sad that we give such short shrift to
    second place. There is still considerable accomplishment in second places. We all know that Jackie
    Robinson was the first black player in major league baseball, but who was second? (Bonus question:
    Frank Robinson was the first black manager. Who was second?) What was the second thing Neil
    Armstrong said while standing on the moon? Mt. Everest may be the tallest, but what's the second?
    Peary may (or may not) have led the first successful attempt to reach the North Pole by land. Who
    was second?

    I'm still trying to find out who the second person to fly solo from New York to Paris is.

  4. Kurgan Gringioni wrote:

    > and Mr. Kelly was/is right. No one remembers who finished in 2nd place.

    Poulidor.

  5. Jtn

    Jtn Guest

  6. Tom Paterson

    Tom Paterson Guest

    >From: "Kurgan Gringioni"

    >"2nd place, 3rd place, what's the difference? The only place that matters is first"

    >- Sean Kelly, after 1989 Worlds

    >and Mr. Kelly was/is right. No one remembers who finished in 2nd place.

    Konyshev. Bet you remembered too. --Tom Paterson

  7. Robert Chung

    Robert Chung Guest

    "Stewart Fleming" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > Kurgan Gringioni wrote:
    >
    > > and Mr. Kelly was/is right. No one remembers who finished in 2nd place.
    >
    > Poulidor.

    Fignon.

  8. "Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > I'm still trying to find out who the second person to fly solo from New
    York
    > to Paris is.

    Amelia Earhart was the second person to solo across the Atlantic, but she only made it to
    Ireland (1932?)

    -T

  9. Andy Coggan

    Andy Coggan Guest

  10. Jeff Kester

    Jeff Kester Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Robert Chung
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > We all know that Jackie Robinson was the first black player in major league baseball, but who
    > was second?

    Jackie Robinson was second if you consider Fleetwood Walker the first, as some do.

    Otherwise, the second was Larry Doby, who was, incidentally, the first African-American to play
    professionally in Japan.

    -Jeff

  11. Robert Chung

    Robert Chung Guest

    "Jeff Kester" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:220420031630511978%[email protected]...
    > In article <3ea594ec$0$15727$7[email protected]>, Robert Chung
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > We all know that Jackie Robinson was the first black player in major league baseball, but who
    > > was second?
    >
    > Jackie Robinson was second if you consider Fleetwood Walker the first, as some do.
    >
    > Otherwise, the second was Larry Doby, who was, incidentally, the first African-American to play
    > professionally in Japan.

    Very good. Anyway, he's also the answer to the bonus question.

  12. "Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > What was the second thing Neil Armstrong said while standing on the moon?
    Fore!

    > Mt. Everest may be the tallest, but what's the second?
    K2 (Chogori)

    >Peary may (or may not) have led the first successful attempt to reach the
    North Pole by land. Who
    > was second?
    Ralph Plaisted

    -T

  13. "Tom Paterson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > >From: "Kurgan Gringioni"
    >
    > >"2nd place, 3rd place, what's the difference? The only place that matters
    is
    > >first"
    >
    > >- Sean Kelly, after 1989 Worlds
    >
    > >and Mr. Kelly was/is right. No one remembers who finished in 2nd place.
    > >

    > Konyshev. Bet you remembered too.

    Because of that famous picture.

    Erik Zabel won MSR 4 times. Who finished 2nd each of those times? Who finished 3rd?

    Who cares? 1st place is what matters. I'll stand with Mr. Kelly on this one.

  14. "Kurgan Gringioni" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]...

    > Erik Zabel won MSR 4 times. Who finished 2nd each of those times?
    Who
    > finished 3rd?

    I can't remember the details, but they include Moncassin, Baldato and Megnin, among others.

    JT

    NB: reply-to address is munged

    Visit http://www.jt10000.com

  15. Bart

    Bart Guest

    > > Erik Zabel won MSR 4 times. Who finished 2nd each of those times?
    > Who
    > > finished 3rd?
    >
    > I can't remember the details, but they include Moncassin, Baldato and Megnin, among others.
    >
    > JT

    and bunch finishes are atypical with this respect, guys in a break who made the race are more
    'remembered'.

    But placings have grown in importance with the rise of point systems. Defending World Cup overall
    standing impedes riders from all-or-nothing initiatives.

    It's also a factor in Worlds of recent years. given the huge amount of UCI points there, its better
    to wait and sprint for a good placing , then 'waste' energy in attacks with only slim win chances.

    In the Tour's last week, you see teams control the break to defend their team leaders' resp. 6-7-8th
    or so places. In the old days this was simply left to the race leader's squad (and
    allies-with-a-purpose of course). Let them work and then search a moment to attack yourself.

    All those riders don't really care whether they will 'remembered'. points play a role in the teams'
    position, and in their personal market value for the next season. Being remembered 10 years from
    now isn't.

    This measured results logic of course doesn't apply to all (like the true domestiques, the LUDO and
    Durand-likes, LANCE, Museeuw, Pantani)

  16. Robert Chung

    Robert Chung Guest

    "Tom Schulenburg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > What was the second thing Neil Armstrong said while standing on the
    moon?
    > Fore!
    >
    > > Mt. Everest may be the tallest, but what's the second?
    > K2 (Chogori)
    >
    > >Peary may (or may not) have led the first successful attempt to reach the
    > North Pole by land. Who
    > > was second?
    > Ralph Plaisted

    Very good. You're scary.

    The second thing Armstrong said was, "the surface is fine and powdery. I can kick it with my toe."

    The Plaisted thing is moderately hard.

    Amelia Earhart's flight was sort of like Alcock and Brown's flight from Newfoundland to Ireland. I'm
    still looking for the second New York-Paris solo flight. Let me know if you find it. Alternatively,
    let me know if you find out who the second woman to cross the Atlantic solo was.

    I like it that as both a player and a manager, Doby was second to two different Robinsons.

    Want to tell me what the first version of dBase II was?

  17. On Wed, 23 Apr 2003 14:04:24 +0200, Robert Chung wrote:
    >Want to tell me what the first version of dBase II was?

    Vulcan.

  18. Robert Chung

    Robert Chung Guest

    "Ewoud Dronkert" <[email protected]> wrote
    > >Want to tell me what the first version of dBase II was?
    >
    > Vulcan.

    Who was the Ashton in Ashton-Tate, and why wasn't there a dBase I?

  19. On Wed, 23 Apr 2003 14:34:18 +0200, Robert Chung wrote:
    >Who was the Ashton in Ashton-Tate,

    Nobody. Maybe Ratliff thought it sounded better than his own name?

    >and why wasn't there a dBase I?

    There was, but it was called Vulcan. (in other words, I don't know).

  20. "Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Ewoud Dronkert" <[email protected]> wrote
    > > >Want to tell me what the first version of dBase II was?
    > >
    > > Vulcan.
    >
    > Who was the Ashton in Ashton-Tate, and why wasn't there a dBase I?

    Ashton was the mascot of Ashton-Tate, I think it was a Parrott. There was no dBase I because they
    thought people wouldn't buy a version I, so the "First" version was dBase II

    -Tom