Armstrong's front brake?

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 16:48:11 +0000 (UTC), Clovis Lark
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Dan Connelly <d_j_c_o_n_n_e_l@i_e_e_e.o_r_g> wrote:
>> Bruce Frech wrote:
>>> "BVM" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>>>
>>>>Why not just have TT bars rise up from the fork blades? Seems like you wouldn't need a stem
>>>>anymore.
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> The US Olympic team pursuit bikes for 1984 had just that. The stem was welded to the fork crown
>>> and nothing came out of the top of the headtube. So the stem was vertical and in front of the
>>> headtube.
>>>
>>> I have the bike that Dave Letteri rode that year but nowhere to post a photo.
>>>
>
>> http://www.djconnel.com/cycling/brucefrechbike.html
>

Now that's a cool bike :)

. Dave Lettieri FasTrack Bicycles 118 W. Canon Perdido Santa Barbara, CA 93101 805-884-0210
775-248-7632 Fax

www.fastrackbicycles.com..

In article <[email protected]>,
Clovis Lark <[email protected]> wrote:

> Dan Connelly <d_j_c_o_n_n_e_l@i_e_e_e.o_r_g> wrote:
> > Bruce Frech wrote:
> >> "BVM" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >> news:[email protected]...
> >>
> >>>Why not just have TT bars rise up from the fork blades? Seems like you wouldn't need a stem
> >>>anymore.
> >>>
> >>
> >>
> >> The US Olympic team pursuit bikes for 1984 had just that. The stem was welded to the fork crown
> >> and nothing came out of the top of the headtube. So the stem was vertical and in front of the
> >> headtube.
> >>
> >> I have the bike that Dave Letteri rode that year but nowhere to post a photo.
> >>
>
> > http://www.djconnel.com/cycling/brucefrechbike.html
>
> Looks like an IU piece of shite to me...

Intrauterine?

--
tanx, Howard

"Food plus heat equals cooking"
Alton Brown

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

Michael Zaharis <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> steve robertson wrote:
> > Well, this has probably been pointed out here before. WTF is this:?
> >
> > http://grahamwatson.com/gw/imagedocs.nsf/updateframesetcall?openform&04algarveSt4
> >
> > I don't read much into Armstrong winning that TT, the competition was not exactly top-notch -
> > USPS was the only D1 team who brought anything like an "A" team...
> >
> > But he certainly doesn't look fat.
>
>
> It's an old Shimano Dura Ace AX front brake, circa 1982 or so. I became a hardware maven back in
> July of 1982 when Bicycling (almost worth reading back then) had a great comparo of 3 Italian
> steeds with Campy Super Record (De Rosa, Guerciotti, Rossin) with 3 Japanese high end bikes (Fuji,
> 3Rensho, Miyata). One of them was built with the Dura Ace AX group - the Miyata, I believe. They
> had these brakes, which were a sort of cam centerpull. The whole Dura Ace AX component group was
> an attempt at building "aerodynamic" components (I don't know about the aerodynamics of most of
> the components, but the water bottles were pretty slick, and another item Lance has used from time
> to time). I once made a disparaging comment about their braking power, but someone chimed in to
> tell me that they worked rather well, despite their tiny pads.
>
> Lance has used them before, back in 2000, for his time trial bike.

I found this this a good picture of the rear brake and other AX components.

www.firstflightbikes.com/ Vista.htm