Armstrong's podium speech....

Discussion in 'Professional Cycling' started by whiteboytrash, Jul 24, 2005.

1. whiteboytrash

whiteboytrash New Member

Thanked Ullrich and Basso but was that a swipe at those who say the Tour is dope fueled ? He called them the 'cynics'..... the tour is won on 'hard work' he said and 'hard work' only........

Tags:

2. spockroyaltea

spockroyaltea New Member

i missed his speech but i heard it was kinda dumb.

3. mareblu

mareblu New Member

good I liked it! especially said for those who still believe they all dope :mad:

Thanks you Lance, I will be missing you for ever....... :eek:

4. whiteboytrash

whiteboytrash New Member

Yeah it wasn't much.... not very quotable.... he even got angry with someone in the crowd when they shouted out 'what about Basso' when he was thanking Ullrich.... he said 'I'll get to Basso ok !'.......................... he even said that he won't do it in French because he's French is not so good....... which meants 98% of the people there had no idea what he was saying !

5. Ullefan

Ullefan New Member

Felt like he was kinda patronising Jan and Ivan like they were his children, I mean give them (Jan especially) more respect.

6. thebluetrain

thebluetrain New Member

Come on. He hasnt given JU enough respect over the last few years?

7. thebluetrain

thebluetrain New Member

Won't and Can't are two different words. I dont know the exact quote but I think it was more like "I will do it in English because my French is not so good."

8. Ullefan

Ullefan New Member

Did you see the speech? If you didn't you your opinion is baseless. Having said that I know some that would have regarded his reference to Jan and Ivan as patronising, and some that wouldn't. Just my opinion that there was a hint of patronising.

9. Patrick1983

Patrick1983 New Member

really bad speech
    didn't have much good to say about basso and seemed to struggle to say anything about him

we all know that it is impossible to finish in the top 15-20 without doping
    so i am glad he is gone

10. thebluetrain

thebluetrain New Member

Yes I saw the speech.

11. thebluetrain

thebluetrain New Member

Ok here is part of the speech. Tell me where the patronising took place.

"It was hard for me, hard for my team of course," said Armstrong for the final time. "Basso...and Jan has been a great rival. It's tough to race against him, he's too much of a friend. He's prehaps the future of the Tour de France. So, Ivan: next year, this is your step; or Jan: this might be your step next year, I don't know, but I'm outta here, so..."

12. Ullefan

Ullefan New Member

It came right about when he was talking about the fact that he would be gone next year, so you losers could win next year ''maybe you could win Ivan, maybe you could win Jan'' is what I interpreted but you've edited a lot out.

13. thebluetrain

thebluetrain New Member

Here is another part to the speech from eurosport. I will eventually find the whole speech. I cant wait to find the exact quote about the English/French part. Also it will be on the replay tonight.

To those who don't believe in cycling, I feel sorry for you. I'm sorry you can't believe in miracles."
    "Vive le Tour. Forever."

14. thebluetrain

thebluetrain New Member

I havent edited a damn thing. I copied and pasted that quote from cyclingnews.com. Go see for you self. That is the only part of the speech that is quoted.

15. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

Really? You have some source of FACTS that no one else has? No? I didn't think so.....just another conspiracy twat regurgitating what other rumor mongers of spit up. I know it takes a lot of energy to actually think on your own, but try it sometime before you start spraying crap.

Impossible my *ss. What exactly do you know about what is possible and what isn't?

16. wilmar13

wilmar13 New Member

This makes no sense. Are you saying that you had to dope to compete with LA so now that he is gone doping will leave cycling or are you saying that he was the first to dope and now that he is gone everyone else will stop doping?

Or are you just making two totally unrelated statements in the same sentence and using the word "so" in an attempt to join them? I can not understand your logic here at all.

17. Patrick1983

Patrick1983 New Member

keep your head in the sand alienator
    if it makes you happy

sadly most people realise what is ahppening in the sport

18. bing181

bing181 New Member

A propos of which ..

- just because you don't understand French, that's no basis for assuming that a large percentage of French people don't understand English.
    - the TDF, and especially the final in Paris, is an international event. I watched the tour on French TV (more interviews ...), where the French commentators were at pains to point out how international the Tour was and the huge number of foreigners who were in Paris to watch it. By speaking in English, Lance may well have reached many more people than if he'd spoken in French.

As for the podium speech .. I thought it was great, really great, and gutsy.

Normal transmission will resume in a moment.

B

19. Patrick1983

Patrick1983 New Member

where in my point did i say that?

i am saying that it is impossible to finish in the top 20-15 without dope

20. Dead Star

Dead Star New Member

is it just me who finds irony in the fact that Christophe Moreau wears a livestrong band?

and yeah. look at how much Mayo sucks every since they suspended their team doctor last year, who David Millar referred to as giving him advice on doping.