Armtrong's season over ?!

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Keith, Jul 27, 2003.

  1. Keith

    Keith Guest

    WTF?! I just saw him interviewed on TV by Jean-Rene "the Pig" Goddard, and he said he had to
    "evaluate" ("evaluer" in broken French) the rest of his season after the 3 Crit's he's racing in...
    So is he finished ?

    Tags:

  2. Tony Austn

    Tony Austn Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Keith <[email protected]> wrote:

    > WTF?! I just saw him interviewed on TV by Jean-Rene "the Pig" Goddard, and he said he had to
    > "evaluate" ("evaluer" in broken French) the rest of his season after the 3 Crit's he's racing
    > in... So is he finished ?

    He's probably going to focus his entire being on a record breaking sixth win. Wouldn't you if your
    fifth victory was a tour through Dante's Inferno?

  3. Bird

    Bird Guest

    On Sun, 27 Jul 2003 18:56:45 GMT, Keith <[email protected]> wrote:

    >WTF?! I just saw him interviewed on TV by Jean-Rene "the Pig" Goddard, and he said he had to
    >"evaluate" ("evaluer" in broken French) the rest of his season after the 3 Crit's he's racing in...
    >So is he finished ?

    He's tired.

    As we all know, Armstrong is a rider who thinks that one TdF stands for one season.

    Groet, Arne Vogel

  4. Jeff Jones

    Jeff Jones Guest

    "Tony Austn" <[email protected]_screw_spam> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]>
    > He's probably going to focus his entire being on a record breaking sixth win. Wouldn't you if your
    > fifth victory was a tour through Dante's Inferno?

    Speaking of Dante's inferno, the one stage that resembled hell in pretty much all respects was stage
    12 to Cap' Decouverte. It was as hot as hell, there were morons everywhere, it finished in a French
    "theme park" which was actually a big hole in the ground (a disused coal mine with a ferris wheel in
    it counts as a theme park in France it seems). The open air press room was three quarters of the way
    down, and I swear I saw a sign at the top saying "abandon hope all ye who enter here", with the
    devil urging me to descend into the pit. The thick smoke and the intense heat really enhanced the
    atmosphere. I converted to Buddhism on the spot. I fear some of the others weren't so lucky...

    Jeff

  5. "Jeff Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Tony Austn" <[email protected]_screw_spam> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]>
    > > He's probably going to focus his entire being on a record breaking sixth win. Wouldn't you if
    > > your fifth victory was a tour through Dante's Inferno?
    >
    > Speaking of Dante's inferno, the one stage that resembled hell in pretty much all respects was
    > stage 12 to Cap' Decouverte. It was as hot as hell, there were morons everywhere, it finished in a
    > French "theme park" which
    was
    > actually a big hole in the ground (a disused coal mine with a ferris wheel in it counts as a theme
    > park in France it seems). The open air press room was three quarters of the way down, and I swear
    > I saw a sign at the top saying "abandon hope all ye who enter here", with the devil urging me to
    > descend into the pit. The thick smoke and the intense heat really enhanced the atmosphere. I
    > converted to Buddhism on the spot. I fear some of the others weren't so lucky...

    Was Didi Senft anywhere to be found that day?

  6. Robert Chung

    Robert Chung Guest

    > "Jeff Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > Speaking of Dante's inferno, the one stage that resembled hell in pretty much all respects was
    > > stage 12 to Cap' Decouverte.
    >
    > Was Didi Senft anywhere to be found that day?

    I'm told that it's not a good idea to find Didi on a hot day.

  7. "Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "Carl Sundquist" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > "Jeff Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > >
    > > > Speaking of Dante's inferno, the one stage that resembled hell in
    pretty
    > > > much all respects was stage 12 to Cap' Decouverte.
    > >
    > > Was Didi Senft anywhere to be found that day?
    >
    > I'm told that it's not a good idea to find Didi on a hot day.

    That dude has to be aware that his body odor is world famous.

    You'd think he'd start showering.

  8. Poul Erik

    Poul Erik Guest

    On Sun, 27 Jul 2003 18:56:45 GMT, Keith <[email protected]> wrote:

    >WTF?! I just saw him interviewed on TV by Jean-Rene "the Pig" Goddard, and he said he had to
    >"evaluate" ("evaluer" in broken French) the rest of his season after the 3 Crit's he's racing in...
    >So is he finished ?

    He will be riding in Hadsten, Denmark 31/7, so his season isn't quite over yet.

    Poul Erik

    --
    == __o
    Poul Erik Lindaa === _'\ <_ E-mail: [email protected]

  9. Keith

    Keith Guest

    >>WTF?! I just saw him interviewed on TV by Jean-Rene "the Pig" Goddard, and he said he had to
    >>"evaluate" ("evaluer" in broken French) the rest of his season after the 3 Crit's he's racing
    >>in... So is he finished ?
    >
    >He will be riding in Hadsten, Denmark 31/7, so his season isn't quite over yet.

    Yeah that's one of the three crits he mentioned, one of the other ones being in Karlsruhe I think,

    A good thing all the tour contenders don't do that though, that would be the end of bicycle
    racing :-(

  10. "Keith" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > >>WTF?! I just saw him interviewed on TV by Jean-Rene "the Pig" Goddard, and he said he had to
    > >>"evaluate" ("evaluer" in broken French) the rest of his season after the 3 Crit's he's racing
    > >>in... So is he finished ?
    > >
    > >He will be riding in Hadsten, Denmark 31/7, so his season isn't quite over yet.
    >
    > Yeah that's one of the three crits he mentioned, one of the other ones being in Karlsruhe I think,
    >
    > A good thing all the tour contenders don't do that though, that would be the end of bicycle
    > racing :-(

    I think Kristen has put her foot down.........he has to consentrate on family
    issues............other wise........she'll take 2 and half of those TDF wins in a divorce! That
    means Lance would have to ride for at least 3 more years!

  11. Shrek

    Shrek Guest

    I hope LA shows up at the NYC cycling classic ...

    "Carl Sundquist" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"Jeff Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >>
    >> "Tony Austn" <[email protected]_screw_spam> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]>
    >> > He's probably going to focus his entire being on a record breaking sixth win. Wouldn't you if
    >> > your fifth victory was a tour through Dante's Inferno?
    >>
    >> Speaking of Dante's inferno, the one stage that resembled hell in pretty much all respects was
    >> stage 12 to Cap' Decouverte. It was as hot as hell, there were morons everywhere, it finished in
    >> a French "theme park" which
    >was
    >> actually a big hole in the ground (a disused coal mine with a ferris wheel in it counts as a
    >> theme park in France it seems). The open air press room was three quarters of the way down, and I
    >> swear I saw a sign at the top saying "abandon hope all ye who enter here", with the devil urging
    >> me to descend into the pit. The thick smoke and the intense heat really enhanced the atmosphere.
    >> I converted to Buddhism on the spot. I fear some of the others weren't so lucky...
    >>

    >Was Didi Senft anywhere to be found that day?

  12. Rick H

    Rick H Guest

    > He's tired.
    >
    > As we all know, Armstrong is a rider who thinks that one TdF stands for one season.
    >

    > Groet, Arne Vogel

    As we all know, in the modern era, riding to win two tours back to back in top form is impossible,
    except for Pantani, who was likely doped. Look at Simoni and Heras. I could see Giro and Vuelta in
    one year, because they're separated by four months. I don't see riding to win both the TDF and the
    Giro or Vuelta in one year as realistic - there's not enough time to recover and no way anyone can
    maintain top form for two months.

    Rick H

  13. "rick h" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]... ...
    > As we all know, in the modern era, riding to win two tours back to back in top form is impossible,
    > except for Pantani, who was likely doped. Look at Simoni and Heras. I could see Giro and Vuelta in
    > one year, because they're separated by four months. I don't see riding to win both the TDF and the
    > Giro or Vuelta in one year as realistic - there's not enough time to recover and no way anyone can
    > maintain top form for two months.
    >
    > Rick H
    Well, Pantani fans, those that are left, don't like the word 'doped'. They like to think of him as
    the 'best rider, unrestricted category'.

    --
    Curtis L. Russell Odenton, MD (USA) Just someone on two wheels...

  14. Wayne

    Wayne Guest

    > As we all know, in the modern era, riding to win two tours back to back in top form is impossible,
    > except for Pantani, who was likely doped. Look at Simoni and Heras. I could see Giro and Vuelta in
    > one year, because they're separated by four months. I don't see riding to win both the TDF and the
    > Giro or Vuelta in one year as realistic - there's not enough time to recover and no way anyone can
    > maintain top form for two months.

    I heard that there are other races besides the Giro, Tour and Vuelta. An example of which is this
    race called the "World Championships" and they're even holding it for some odd reason in North
    America this year.

    Wayne

  15. Trg

    Trg Guest

    I think I read that Armstgrong will ride in a race in Denmark a few dats after the TdF.

    "rick h" <[email protected]> a écrit dans le message de
    news:[email protected]...

    > > He's tired.
    > >
    > > As we all know, Armstrong is a rider who thinks that one TdF stands for one season.
    > >

    > > Groet, Arne Vogel
    >
    > As we all know, in the modern era, riding to win two tours back to back in top form is impossible,
    > except for Pantani, who was likely doped. Look at Simoni and Heras. I could see Giro and Vuelta in
    > one year, because they're separated by four months. I don't see riding to win both the TDF and the
    > Giro or Vuelta in one year as realistic - there's not enough time to recover and no way anyone can
    > maintain top form for two months.
    >
    > Rick H

    ---

  16. Bird

    Bird Guest

    On 28 Jul 2003 00:31:39 -0700, [email protected] (rick h) wrote:

    >As we all know, in the modern era, riding to win two tours back to back in top form is impossible,
    >except for Pantani, who was likely doped.

    'likely' ?

    In Europe lots of people are saying that Armstrong is 'likely doped'

    > Look at Simoni and Heras. I could see Giro and Vuelta in one year, because they're separated by
    > four months. I don't see riding to win both the TDF and the Giro or Vuelta in one year as
    > realistic - there's not enough time to recover and no way anyone can maintain top form for two
    > months.

    Well, I did not expect Armstrong starting in the Vuelta. this year. But why are we seeing so little
    of him? He started only in one classic, the Amstel Gold.

    Riding a long season of competetive races, is also a sign of quality.

    Groet, Arne Vogel

  17. Fred Marx

    Fred Marx Guest

    > Well, I did not expect Armstrong starting in the Vuelta. this year. But why are we seeing so
    > little of him? He started only in one classic, the Amstel Gold.
    >
    > Riding a long season of competetive races, is also a sign of quality.

    this in a nut shell is why many folks don't respect Lance... As far as Postal is concerned the
    Vuelta is Roberto Heras's race to win or lose. (It's part of his contract I believe..) Lance
    may ride San Sebastion (he's done it before) then he just vanishes... Ususally shows for GP NYC
    and GP SF...

  18. Fred Marx

    Fred Marx Guest

    > I think Kristen has put her foot down.........he has to consentrate on family
    > issues............other wise........she'll take 2 and half of those TDF wins in a divorce!

    there's that old hammer and nail analogy that covers that statement.... DING DING DING we
    have a winner.

  19. Jeff Jones

    Jeff Jones Guest

  20. J & D Klau

    J & D Klau Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, "Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Carl Sundquist" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > "Jeff Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > >
    > > > Speaking of Dante's inferno, the one stage that resembled hell in pretty much all respects was
    > > > stage 12 to Cap' Decouverte.
    > >
    > > Was Didi Senft anywhere to be found that day?
    >
    > I'm told that it's not a good idea to find Didi on a hot day.

    I'm told one can't help but find Didi on a hot day.....

    -Jen

    --
    -Jennifer reply to: jen at klau dot com