Army Cornbread

Glenn Jacobs wrote:
> Its been a long time since I was in the Army, in fact I
> went in just 50 years ago. They used to have cornbread
> often in the mess hall. It was unlike any I have had in
> restaurants or that my wife makes or that comes out of a
> box. It was not sweet and had a significant corn taste and
> was a tad on the dry side. Most of our cooks seemed to be
> from the South (US) and maybe that had something to do
> with it. If anyone has a recipe or a source or an idea I
> would appreciate it.
>
> Thanks in advance.

My wife makes cornbread like that. I'll get the proportions
tonite. I know it's basically white cornmeal, buttermilk,
egg, and baking soda. No flour and no sugar. Melt some
Crisco (shortening) in an iron skillet in the oven while it
preheats (400 degrees?). Pour a little of the hot Crisco
into the batter and stir it in, pour the batter into the
skillet, bake about 20 minutes.

It's good for sopping up runny pinto beans or blackeyed
peas, but other than that it's way too dry and I much prefer
my cornbread that has yellow cornmeal and flour in it (like
Yankee cornbread) but no sugar. Wife like to crumble up her
leftover cornbread into a glass and pour milk over it.

-Bob

Louis Cohen wrote:
> Thank you for your service.
>
> Curiously, southern cornbread usually has more sugar than
> northern cornbread.

Heh... that's not my experience. When I went to Boston a few
years back my friend Paula and I stopped to grab a beer in a
local pub. For some odd reason the proprieter decided to
bake and hand out free cornbread to the patrons. Paula, born
and raised in Tennessee, said, "Jill, you're not going to
like it." The first thing I noticed was, it wasn't nicely
golden brown. But I don't pass up free food and it was a
long flight, so I took a bite. "YOWSA! What's with all the
sugar?" She laughed and said that's how they make it "up
here". I'll be damned... how about just give me a bag of
sugar? Waiter! I need another beer!

Jill

On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 02:42:42 -0600, jmcquown wrote:

> Sam 1121 wrote:
>> Just leave the sugar out of a recipe (or cut the amount
>> used). The real secret is in the corn-meal. Government
>> issue is superior to any that you can buy in a
>> supermarket. See if you can find someone eligible for
>> "commodities" if they are still distributed. Find a good
>> mill that is grinding !
>
> http://fallsmill.com/ Wonderful stone ground grits, the
> old fashioned way
>:) In lovely Belvidere, TN. They sell in bulk, so you'd
>:better really like
> cornmeal or grits!
>
> Jill

thanks Jill, I love good grits (hard to find). Although
Belvidere is a long way from me, I have kids, grand kids and
a great grand kid in Huntsville that is not too far from
Belvidere, so i will visit there probably next summer.

--
JakeInHartsel

On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 02:42:42 -0600, jmcquown wrote:

> Sam 1121 wrote:
>> Just leave the sugar out of a recipe (or cut the amount
>> used). The real secret is in the corn-meal. Government
>> issue is superior to any that you can buy in a
>> supermarket. See if you can find someone eligible for
>> "commodities" if they are still distributed. Find a good
>> mill that is grinding !
>
> http://fallsmill.com/ Wonderful stone ground grits, the
> old fashioned way
>:) In lovely Belvidere, TN. They sell in bulk, so you'd
>:better really like
> cornmeal or grits!
>
> Jill

thanks Jill, I love good grits (hard to find). Although
Belvidere is a long way from me, I have kids, grand kids and
a great grand kid in Huntsville that is not too far from
Belvidere, so i will visit there probably next summer.

--
JakeInHartsel

On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 07:23:36 GMT, "Charles Gifford"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>> Fry on medium to high heat until golden brown. Drain on
>> paper towels and enjoy. Especially good with collard,
>> mustard, and turnip greens; soups, stews, and most beans.
>
>I hadn't thought of this in a long time! It is, if I
>remember right, also called Scalded Cornbread. Good stuff,
>especially when fried in lard or bacon grease.

in Napoli, Italy, they call it "scagliuozzi" and have a
triangular shape...

best,

Jiminy

Glenn Jacobs wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 02:42:42 -0600, jmcquown wrote:
>
>> Sam 1121 wrote:
>>> Just leave the sugar out of a recipe (or cut the amount
>>> used). The real secret is in the corn-meal. Government
>>> issue is superior to any that you can buy in a
>>> supermarket. See if you can find someone eligible for
>>> "commodities" if they are still distributed. Find a good
>>> mill that is grinding !
>>
>> http://fallsmill.com/ Wonderful stone ground grits, the
>> old fashioned way :) In lovely Belvidere, TN. They sell
>> in bulk, so you'd better really like cornmeal or grits!
>>
>> Jill
>
> thanks Jill, I love good grits (hard to find). Although
> Belvidere is a long way from me, I have kids, grand
> kids and a great grand kid in Huntsville that is not
> too far from Belvidere, so i will visit there probably
> next summer.

Glenn, as you may have noticed on the site, they have a log
cabin B&B. But they book up waaaaay in advance so if your
family members are considering staying there, plan well
ahead. It's only a 2 hour drive from where I am but every
time I've wanted to book it they've been full-up (as they
say down here). ;-)

Jill

On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 09:43:45 GMT, Charles Gifford wrote:

> "Gerlonda Battles" <[email protected]> wrote in
> message news:pine.GSO.4.33.0403101138340.20524-
> [email protected]...
>>
>> Scalded Cornbread is good. Our regional (northern
>> Louisiana) name was Hot Water Cornbread (can you get more
>> basic than that? :)
>
> It's basic alright! I'm going to have to whip some up now
> that I have the thought of it in my mind.
>
> Charlie

Interesting, I just realized this is very similar to
Venezuelian food. They take the fried mass and cut it open
and put almost any kind of meat in
it. It is called an Arapa, I believe that is spelled right.

Thanks,

--
JakeInHartsel