Around The Bay In A Day 2003

geez I am considering myself lucky to only have copped the cold, a puncture, shivering ferry ride,
worst cup of coffee ever. it pays to leave an hour late and miss the grupetto despite doing it
tough. the tailwind from Geelong (Sorrento first) was a blessing. from Lara to Mel 40+. not going
past the manureplant was a blessing this year too. and the undulating hills around little river that
are the killer. I saw no-one drop the bike this but unfortunately a car nudge some one into the
gutter before rosebud. see you on the road soon...

"John Tserkezis" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> hippy wrote:
>
> > Ouch! I hope you heal quick!
> >
> > I heard someone broke their collarbone too after hitting a pothole in the wet.
>
> I think I rode back with his mate on the sag wagon. Only noticed a bent
> spoke on the bike, not sure if he hit a pothole, but something certainly
went
> through the spokes and stopped him. Landed on his elbow and took some bone out, not sure which
> one, as I was
told
> he was screaming too much to be more specific.
>
> --
> Linux Registered User # 302622
<http://counter.li.org

I actually stopped at the Sorrento ferry... some might say soft, but the beach house is just up the road, so I had my shower and was sucking down hot chocolate waiting for the missus to come and get me.

The weather was f'd from Mt Martha down to Sorrento!! Took off from St Kilda with a few guys from ESP (???) and stuck with them all the way... got to Sorrento in 2hr 50mins.

So so many people on the side of the road with punctures/bike trouble... I was waiting for my tyre to go bang also.

I'll be back next year!!

Cheers,
Bill

Originally posted by Why Is Everythi
geez I am considering myself lucky to only have copped the cold, a puncture, shivering ferry ride,
worst cup of coffee ever. it pays to leave an hour late and miss the grupetto despite doing it
tough. the tailwind from Geelong (Sorrento first) was a blessing. from Lara to Mel 40+. not going
past the manureplant was a blessing this year too. and the undulating hills around little river that
are the killer. I saw no-one drop the bike this but unfortunately a car nudge some one into the
gutter before rosebud. see you on the road soon...

Originally posted by kyra
I actually stopped at the Sorrento ferry... some might say soft, but the beach house is just up the road, so I had my shower and was sucking down hot chocolate waiting for the missus to come and get me.

The weather was f'd from Mt Martha down to Sorrento!! Took off from St Kilda with a few guys from ESP (???) and stuck with them all the way... got to Sorrento in 2hr 50mins.

So so many people on the side of the road with punctures/bike trouble... I was waiting for my tyre to go bang also.

I'll be back next year!!

Cheers,
Bill

shame you stopped at Sorrento as you coped with the worst weather and missed out on the good weather. Just out of interest, did people bail out of training rides when the weather was bad? My wife (and training partner) is an ex-mountaineer and won't let me bail out when it is wet (she does stop for hail and lightning luckily). I spent most of the ride from Mornington to Sorrento grateful that it wasn't as bad as some of our training rides!

Originally posted by Andrew Morris
Given the weather today, I was kind of glad I decided against it (for fitness reasons) this year...

How did people go???

Cheers,

Andrew

I saw people on the ferry almost hyperthermic. It was very cold waiting for the ferry!

Originally posted by powinc
I saw people on the ferry almost hyperthermic. It was very cold waiting for the ferry!

you mean hypothermic! Most of us would have loved a minute of hyperthermia! That sure was the coldest part, especially watching all those warm dry people inside their cars being loaded onto the ferry first. At least when I was on the bike I stayed warm by exercising although my feet were pretty cold as I'd worn my road shoes (with mesh) rather than my MTB shoes.