Around the Bay in a Day

neon

New Member
Dec 2, 2003
Sorry to ask about ATB, I'm sure it been ask before, but the search didn't come up with anything. :confused:

Is it tough ride? I assume it's pretty flat. What the best direction to travel, clockwise or anti? Is it well run?

http://www.greatrides.com.au/topic.php?a=5

And the big question: How is the "legends" ride becoming 40km longer?
Bay dredging?

--
Shane Stanley

Shane Stanley wrote:
> And the big question: How is the "legends" ride becoming 40km longer?
> Bay dredging?

not taking the direct route between Geelong & Queenscliff. Read the
article again - it's going via Portarlington etc.

neon wrote:
> Sorry to ask about ATB, I'm sure it been ask before, but the search
> didn't come up with anything. :confused:
>
> Is it tough ride? I assume it's pretty flat. What the best direction
> to travel, clockwise or anti? Is it well run?

It's reasonably well run, sometimes the signs are a little lacking -
mainly in Geelong.
It's flat, there's 2 climbs of any note, the Westgate bridge and Mt
Martha. The rest are babies along Beach Rd. The food is sometimes
dodgey, who remembers the green bananas last year and the soggy wraps?
It's best to carry a few bucks and be prepared to feed yourself - for
200km, one salad roll and a banana is not enough, by several orders of
magnitude!

As to which way is best? Neither really. I've done both ways.
Geelong first gets the boring bit out of the way and usually misses the
afternoon sea breezes (headwinds!) - remember the main wind in Melb is
a souwesterly and it usually increases in the afternoon, and then look
at a map. But, going via Sorrento first gets you to the ferry faster
and the ride home is usually pretty fast (tailwinds, usually). Then
again, the weather can do anything in October ... and often does.

neon said:
Sorry to ask about ATB, I'm sure it been ask before, but the search didn't come up with anything. :confused:

Is it tough ride? I assume it's pretty flat. What the best direction to travel, clockwise or anti? Is it well run?

http://www.greatrides.com.au/topic.php?a=5
Lots of info can be found at www.bv.com.au/forums
I've only done it once, so I'm no expert.
Tough ride? I suppose it depends how you attack it. I (stupidly) got in a pack that was too fast for me coming out of Geelong. Stayed with them for probably 15 minutes too long. By Werribee I was totally stuffed, cramp, etc.. Made it a hard trip home. Bicycle victoria's recomendation of 1000km in the 8 weeks prior, is probably pretty spot on, if you ride within your capabilities.
It's mostly flat.
In terms of which direction is better, it's like a religous debate. Anti-clockwise is usually filled first, so its more popular, but that doesn't make it better.

I've done ATB 7 or 8 times, mostly on a slick-shod MTB. Only ever done it clockwise, seems that you have to be a Freemason to get a stab at the anti-clockwise route.

It's hard, just for the fact that you're turning pedals for 7+ hours. Do anything contantly for 7+hours & you'll feel it in the morning. I reckon if you can pick a couple of Sunday's leading up to it & ride to Mornington (from Melb ) & back, you should be right if you are of average fittness.

Just pace yourself all the way, put in a consistant effort, listern to your body & you'll make it.
Make sure you know how to fix a flat & bring lots of lollies & goodies along for the ride.
I carry a $50 note as well for some reason. Never had to use it, but it's there just in case.

It's a big event, thousands do it. You'll need to be patient & take a back seat to cowboys & the odd Ozzie/Harriett sometimes.

On 2006-04-17, Spider1977 (aka Bruce)

> cfsmtb Wrote:
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Adventures_of_Ozzie_and_Harriet

> Geez cfsmtb - you are a cycling encyclopaedia! :)

Or at least, a user interface to google and the wikipedia.

--
TimC
A debugged program is one for which you have not yet found the

On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 10:24:28 +1000, Spider1977 wrote:

> Bruce?

You can post here without a degree from the University of Woolomoloo?

--
Dave Hughes | [email protected]
"Remember - if all you have is an axe, every problem