Around the world by bike: 23,000 km in 9 1/2 months

Discussion in 'Touring and recreational cycling' started by tombruce, Aug 5, 2013.

1. tombruce

tombruce New Member

Hi, I want to share my 23,000 km round the world bike tour that I did in 2011. My name is Tom Bruce, I'm 26 and in March 2011, I set off from my home in Peckforton, Cheshire, England, to cycle unsupported around the world. My route took me from my front door, through France, Switzerland and Germany, to the Danube River, which I followed across Europe to the Black Sea. I cycled through Bulgaria, Turkey, Georgia and Azerbaijan to the Caspian Sea, which I crossed on a Ferry to Kazakhstan. A long crossing of the Kazakh Steppe and the Karakalpakstan desert from Beyneu to Nukus brought me to Uzbekistan and next up was the high altitude Pamir Highway in Tajikistan and Kyrgyzstan. Then into Kazakhstan again before a 2 month crossing of China through Xinjang province, across the Tibetan Plateau, along the Yellow River, then via Xi'an to Beijing. After that I flew across the Pacific to tackle North America. I cycled across the USA from San Francisco to Florida via, California, Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Alabama, Mississippi. I finished in Daytona Beach, Florida on the 16th December 2011 and flew home from Orlando Airport. There's loads of info about my route, planning advice, photos, maps and my blog at my website www.tombrucecycling.com. I've also released a book (info on my website) about the ride, called "Every inch of the way". Please feel free to contact me for any tips about planning an adventure or just to get in touch. My email address is [email protected], more contact details are on my website. Thanks a lot, Tom Bruce

[​IMG]

Tags:

2. vspa

vspa Active Member

nicely done, i have questions: anything broken along the way in your bike (aside from spokes), like front or rear rack ?

3. tombruce

tombruce New Member

Quite a few things!
    - One of the eyelets snapped on my Rohloff gear hub. Rohloff were great though, they sent a new hub body out to China free of charge along with the tools I needed to rebuild it. I had to rebuild my rear wheel and the hub in a hotel room in Xi'an - One of the bars that attached my Tubus rack to the bike frame snapped at the bolt eyelet. A Tajik mechanic made me a new one. - Headset bearings needed replacing - Bottom bracket wore out - Chain snapped 3 or 4 times - Needed to replace rohloff chainwheel - First set of tyres wore out and sidewalls collapsed on both of them, replaced with Schwalbe Marathon Plus Tour I think that's about all the big problems I had

4. vspa

vspa Active Member

i have been unlucky with my rear rack in short off road tours, both time broken, aluminium so not repairable... are you planning a second leg to south america or other places not covered ? ill check out your website more closely, thanks

5. tombruce

tombruce New Member

Not any time soon, have been working on triathlon racing recently, did Ironman Zurich 2 weekends ago. Will be going to Indian Himalayas next bike trip, probably next year. Get a Tubus rack, they are fantastic. Don't waste your time with cheap racks.