Arriving in London (and UK)

On 25 Mar 2006 18:31:12 GMT, Ian Smith <[email protected]> wrote:

>On Sat, 25 Mar, Elisa Francesca Roselli <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> Unlike in Britain, where traffic regulations oblige cars to stop at
>> pedestrian crossings if there is a pedestrian waiting,

>I believe you are wrong. Can you cite this supposed regulation?

Not quite a regulation to stop for pedestrians waiting. The wording
suggests pedestrian priority.

http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/18.htm

171: Zebra crossings. As you approach a zebra crossing

look out for people waiting to cross and be ready to slow down or stop
to let them cross
you MUST give way when someone has moved onto a crossing
allow more time for stopping on wet or icy roads
do not wave people across; this could be dangerous if another vehicle
is approaching
be aware of pedestrians approaching from the side of the crossing.
Law ZPPPCR reg 25

Ian Smith wrote:

> I believe you are wrong. Can you cite this supposed regulation?

OK, so I'm wrong. In my experience, however, I have had cars courteously
stopping for me as I waited at crossings in Cambridge (where I lived 13
years), whereas in France I generally have to get into the middle of the
crossing and frantically wave my hands to make them understand that I
would LIKE by their gracious leave to reach the other side alive. They
still think it appropriate to honk me out of their way.

EFR
Ile de France

On Sat, 25 Mar, Tom Crispin <> wrote:
> On 25 Mar 2006 18:31:12 GMT, Ian Smith <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >On Sat, 25 Mar, Elisa Francesca Roselli <[email protected]> wrote:
> >>
> >> Unlike in Britain, where traffic regulations oblige cars to stop at
> >> pedestrian crossings if there is a pedestrian waiting,

> >I believe you are wrong. Can you cite this supposed regulation?

> Not quite a regulation to stop for pedestrians waiting. The wording
> suggests pedestrian priority.
>
> http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/18.htm

The fact that the highway code suggests something does not mean there
is a traffic regulation requiring it.

> 171: Zebra crossings. As you approach a zebra crossing look out
> for people waiting to cross and be ready to slow down or stop to let
> them cross
> you MUST give way when someone has moved onto a crossing

Exactly - the legal requirement (the only 'MUST') is if the pedestrian
is already on the crossing.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|

On 25 Mar 2006 19:18:18 GMT, Ian Smith <[email protected]> wrote:

>On Sat, 25 Mar, Tom Crispin <> wrote:

>> >I believe you are wrong. Can you cite this supposed regulation?

>> Not quite a regulation to stop for pedestrians waiting. The wording
>> suggests pedestrian priority.
>>
>> http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/18.htm

>The fact that the highway code suggests something does not mean there
>is a traffic regulation requiring it.
>
>> 171: Zebra crossings. As you approach a zebra crossing look out
>> for people waiting to cross and be ready to slow down or stop to let
>> them cross
>> you MUST give way when someone has moved onto a crossing

>Exactly - the legal requirement (the only 'MUST') is if the pedestrian
>is already on the crossing.

I think we are in full agreement.