Arrrrgh: Cannondale maties!

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Kaiser, Jan 28, 2003.

  1. Kaiser

    Kaiser Guest

    Tags:

  2. "kaiser" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Avast ye scurvy dogs! Cannondale is about to go belly-up!

    http://cbs.marketwatch.com/news/story.asp?guid=%7BF7F3CB7C%2D450D%2D4A7F%2D8
    F97%2DF28A1FFA8869%7D&siteid=mktw

    > Maybe Trek can start making motorcycles too (he he he).

    Cannondale deserves to go bankrupt.

    They entered a motorcycle market which has had flat sales (almost no growth) for the last 15 years
    against established competition that has mature marketing, distribution systems and superior
    technology. Those companies are Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Yamaha, and to a lesser extent, Husqvarna
    and KTM. Who's slice of the market share did Cannondale think they were going to take?

    What hubris must have existed at the management of Cannondale to imagine they would succeed.

  3. Tritonrider

    Tritonrider Guest

    >From: "Kurgan Gringioni" [email protected]

    >They entered a motorcycle market which has had flat sales (almost no growth) for the last 15 years
    >against established competition that has mature marketing, distribution systems and superior
    >technology. Those companies are Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Yamaha, and to a lesser extent, Husqvarna
    >and KTM. Who's slice of the market share did Cannondale think they were going to take?

    The only company really making any market gains and money is H-D and that is more due to marketing
    and culture than the product, which is pretty decent for the n iche market they are in.

    http://www.americanmotor.com/news.cfm?newsid=2148

    Bill C.

  4. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    [email protected] (kaiser) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Avast ye scurvy dogs! Cannondale is about to go belly-up!
    >
    > http://cbs.marketwatch.com/news/story.asp?guid=%7BF7F3CB7C%2D450D%2D4A7F%2D8F97%2DF28A1FFA8869%7D-
    > &siteid=mktw
    >
    > Maybe Trek can start making motorcycles too (he he he).

    Dirt bikes were out of vogue by the time Cannondale started making them. There was an open niche but
    they didn't go looking for it and it didn't come looking for them. They could have built 250 and 350
    Cafe' racers and made some money if Honda didn't try to put them out of business too rapidly.

  5. "TritonRider" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > >From: "Kurgan Gringioni" [email protected]
    >
    > >They entered a motorcycle market which has had flat sales (almost no
    growth)
    > >for the last 15 years against established competition that has mature marketing, distribution
    > >systems and superior technology. Those companies
    are
    > >Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Yamaha, and to a lesser extent, Husqvarna and
    KTM.
    > >Who's slice of the market share did Cannondale think they were going to take?
    >
    > The only company really making any market gains and money is H-D and that
    is
    > more due to marketing and culture than the product, which is pretty decent
    for
    > the n iche market they are in.
    >
    > http://www.americanmotor.com/news.cfm?newsid=2148

    Irrelevant to the topic since Cannondale was making off-road motorcycles, not 750 lb. street hogs
    for old fat people.

  6. "TritonRider" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > >From: "Kurgan Gringioni" [email protected]
    >
    > >They entered a motorcycle market which has had flat sales (almost no
    growth)
    > >for the last 15 years against established competition that has mature marketing, distribution
    > >systems and superior technology. Those companies
    are
    > >Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Yamaha, and to a lesser extent, Husqvarna and
    KTM.
    > >Who's slice of the market share did Cannondale think they were going to take?
    >
    > The only company really making any market gains and money is H-D and that
    is
    > more due to marketing and culture than the product, which is pretty decent
    for
    > the n iche market they are in.
    >
    > http://www.americanmotor.com/news.cfm?newsid=2148
    >
    > Bill C.

    While the filing is unfortunate, there appears to be a good chance that the bicycle division
    will survive and continue in the same direction. Management will be kept in place as to
    bicycles. The division was/is profitable. So unless the new owners decide to sell out to yet
    another company, Cannondale could be around and not go the way of Schwinn and GT. Lets hope so.
    IMO, they've got an excellent product.

    Brian Lafferty

  7. Pdannyd

    Pdannyd Guest

    "Brian Lafferty" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > .....Cannondale could be around and not go the way of Schwinn and GT. Lets hope so. IMO, they've
    > got an excellent product.

    Having ridden the CAAD7 R2000 I'd have to agree.

  8. Bob

    Bob Guest

  9. "PDannyD" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Brian Lafferty" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > .....Cannondale could be around and not go the way of Schwinn and GT. Lets hope so. IMO, they've
    > > got an excellent product.
    >
    > Having ridden the CAAD7 R2000 I'd have to agree.

    I have a CAAD 5 that is great but I'm told the CAAD7s are amazingly better.

    Brian Lafferty

  10. "Tom Kunich" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > [email protected] (kaiser) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Avast ye scurvy dogs! Cannondale is about to go belly-up!

    http://cbs.marketwatch.com/news/story.asp?guid=%7BF7F3CB7C%2D450D%2D4A7F%2D8
    F97%2DF28A1FFA8869%7D&siteid=mktw

    > > Maybe Trek can start making motorcycles too (he he he).
    >
    > Dirt bikes were out of vogue by the time Cannondale started making them. There was an open niche
    > but they didn't go looking for it and it didn't come looking for them. They could have built 250
    > and 350 Cafe' racers and made some money if Honda didn't try to put them out of business too
    > rapidly.

    You're kidding aren't you? With the 400cc Japanese domestic model repli-racers already in production
    by Honda, Yamaha, and Kawasaki, the story would have been the same. As nice as the FZR 400 was back
    in 1988-89, why didn't Yamaha USA continue to bring them in? Because, like SUVs, bigger is better
    and not enough buyers were interested in the 400 when they could have the 600, or 750, or 1000. The
    400s don't have enough rocket-ship power to satisfy the riders whose rear tires have big flat
    patches across the center of the tire. But then you knew that already.

    Carl Former NC 30 owner