Arrrrgh! Cervelo??

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by The Blackadder, Jun 24, 2010.

1. The Blackadder

The Blackadder New Member

Hi guys,

OK a little about me I am a major Cervelo fan and own a beautiful 09 Cervelo RS that I adore.

Anyway long story short it was mine and the wife's 10 year anniversary a while ago and seeing as this was a milestone we decided to treat each other to dream gifts.

She got her diamond bracelet thingie and I got to order a beautiful Cervelo S3 with Sram red groupset and gorgeous Mavic R-Sys SL wheels.

Anyhoo I placed the order in my LBS and waited very, very impatiently for the call that the frame had arrived.

Well after a month of waiting I got a call on Monday and was blown away with what I was told...The frame won't be arriving until around August 23rd :eek:.

This of course is a killer for me, but for love nor money I can't understand why it is taking so long to get hold of? when I got my RS last year it took 1 week from ordering to completion of the beast so what is the hold up now?

Does anyone know what's going on with Cervelo at the moment??? I bet my life the Cervelo test team riders for the tour are not wondering if their bikes will be ready for the tour :D

Tags:

2. steve

steve Administrator
    Staff Member

That is a damn long wait for the bike! Cervelo are pretty popular, but you'd think they would be keeping up with production, can you try a different bike shop? :confused:

3. The Blackadder

The Blackadder New Member

To be honest fella it is not the shop, my LBS is run by a real good bunch of guys and have always done their very best to sort everything out for me in the quickest possible time.

No I think the problem is with Cervelo itself there seems to be a problem in house as I have spoke to other Cervelo dealers and it's the same answer all round "There is a back log of orders for frames" :confused:

4. steve

steve Administrator
    Staff Member

Well there you go, thats great info to be made aware of.

5. oldbobcat

oldbobcat Well-Known Member

All the manufacturers under-produced this year, especially in the upper end of the spectrum. Just a reaction to last year's over-production and price increases. It sounds like you're waiting for a 2011 model.

I've seen some S3s in our local shops but I don't know what size you ordered and what your local situation is. If you're that anxious, order one from these guys. They appear have a full size run.Excel Sports Boulder - Online Bicycle Retailer

6. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

+1 for what oldbobcat said. Excel Sports is an excellent online retailer (They've even got a brick 'n mortar store.) with reasonable prices.

You could let your fingers do the interwebular walk, looking for lower S3 bike prices. Qbike Prices is often a great place to start collecting a broad sampling of said prices. It's even possible to find deals on eBay. There are some brick and mortar stores that sell bikes on eBay.

Keep in mind though that a great deal--a steal--should make you suspicious. Also, there are a host of scammers selling bikes out of alleged dealerships in Indonesia, Malaysia, and a few other places. All these places are really good at is stealing your money. The material goods don't exist at these places.

With respect to the S3, don't expect super deals. It's the top of Cervelo's game, right now. Demand for it is high, so don't expect amazing deals on an S3. Also, keep in mind that there may be serious fitment issues with certain wheels, gruppos, and etc. on the S3. There were, at least, in the first run(s) of production. I don't know what, if any, mods Cervelo has made to the design to relieve these issues.

So, do a search. If you've questions about a particular dealer, post the question here.

7. Steezlo

Steezlo New Member

A friend of mine has been waiting for quite some time as well...Cervelo is just playing catch up on the new frames.

8. slyjackson

slyjackson New Member

9. Mojo Johnson

Mojo Johnson New Member

Maybe the Versus network bought 'em all up for their Lead The Pack sweepstakes giveaway during the Tour.

10. alfeng

alfeng Well-Known Member

There are a lot of OTHER great frames which you may want to consider despite your appreciation for CERVELO's engineering -- Pinarello & Colnago are two marques which come to mind.

11. LDB

LDB New Member

Here's a wild idea. Consider that the S3 is the bike you chose and want. Consider that your LBS is a very good shop as you said. Consider that good orders from good customers such as yourself are what keep a good LBS in business so good customers like you can continue to have their good LBS they like and appreciate. Now for the wild idea part. Remember that something worth having is worth waiting for and bite the bullet to keep your business with your LBS rather than jumping to a different bike or different dealer. Condolences on the annoying wait and good luck on riding it out. Oh, and you have what sounds like a very nice bike already to help you get through the waiting time.