Arthritis and energy issues - need a new bike...

leeloo67

Oct 11, 2010
Need some bike-buying advice. I need something that is a cross between a high-end super-light hybrid and a cruiser! Does anything like that exist? It seems like the stuff with the features I need are just too heavy, and the light ones have the wrong posture/geometry.

Been cycling for several years - started with a Lamborghini Leggenda, then graduated to a GT Transeo because I was doing some mild off-road stuff but could only afford one bike. Had arthritis issues all along but no issues. About a year ago the geometry of the GT started hurting my neck. Then in January I got sick and for some reason have had issues with energy ever since. The bike just feels sooo heavy. The Lambo was a hefty 29 pounds or so, and I think the GT is like 36 pounds. I've tried snacking, eating pasta the night before, etc. I think a lighter bike will help but I definitely need a more upright position too!

Wow, what an underwhelming response.

Did my own looking around. Nothing in the "sporting goods" range is going to work - no more GT (a dead company anyway) or the like. I tried a ton of bikes at Performance and they are just too clunky, uncomfortable and heavy. The best one was the GT Tachyon as it was super-light, but the geometry was all wrong - felt like women's geometry, very scrunched up. Giant seems to have one that is going to work - the Escape series. Juuuust on the cusp of being too heavy but if I stick to certain routes I should be ok. I also found a very interesting bicycle in the Prodeco Phantom X, which may make cycling to work easier!

Originally Posted by leeloo67 .

Wow, what an underwhelming response.

Did my own looking around. Nothing in the "sporting goods" range is going to work - no more GT (a dead company anyway) or the like. I tried a ton of bikes at Performance and they are just too clunky, uncomfortable and heavy. The best one was the GT Tachyon as it was super-light, but the geometry was all wrong - felt like women's geometry, very scrunched up. Giant seems to have one that is going to work - the Escape series. Juuuust on the cusp of being too heavy but if I stick to certain routes I should be ok. I also found a very interesting bicycle in the Prodeco Phantom X, which may make cycling to work easier!
I did some searching and looking at bicycle images of the names of bicycles you mentioned. I think many of the people here are road bike cyclist, I am. I also have some arthritis and lower back injury-damage. I don't find the upright position comfortable for very long. Putting a little of my weight forward seems to actually help me.

I'd definitely have that energy issue looked at by a doctor.

I used to cycle by an older guy (he was 85-90) with his electric assisted bicycle on the bike path. The paths don't allow powered bikes but no one seemed to care. I kinda like the idea of having that option of pressing a button and enjoying the ride.

However... I can't see how battery power could make the stress (and discomfort) any less on your neck. I sometimes get some neck pain and stiffness myself... and found a little heat applied before bedtime seems to relax things well enough to give me relief.

Instead of encouraging us to guess what kind of riding you intend to do and what kind of bike you'd like to do it on, and then tell us what's wrong with our suggestions, why not go to a shop and try a few different styles of bike? For the most part it doesn't matter what shop or what brands they sell because most of them carry at least one of the major brands, which are all good, which all make pretty much the same kinds of bikes. I can see you going through the whole spectrum: cruiser, comfort, flat-foot, fitness, multi-sport (road/dirt crossover), rec cyclocross, endurance road, you name it. As for major brands, try these: Trek, Specialized, Cannondale, Giant, Felt, Scott, Jamis--I'm sure someone can think of some more.

Quote:Originally Posted by leeloo67 . Need some bike-buying advice. I need something that is a cross between a high-end super-light hybrid and a cruiser! Does anything like that exist? It seems like the stuff with the features I need are just too heavy, and the light ones have the wrong posture/geometry.

Been cycling for several years - started with a Lamborghini Leggenda, then graduated to a GT Transeo because I was doing some mild off-road stuff but could only afford one bike. Had arthritis issues all along but no issues. About a year ago the geometry of the GT started hurting my neck. Then in January I got sick and for some reason have had issues with energy ever since. The bike just feels sooo heavy. The Lambo was a hefty 29 pounds or so, and I think the GT is like 36 pounds. I've tried snacking, eating pasta the night before, etc. I think a lighter bike will help but I definitely need a more upright position too!

WHAT is your budget?

How much DIY can you implement?

What tire size do you prefer to use?

Does your bike need to have fenders?

How tall-or-short are you?