Arthritis Prevention

Mar 11, 2015
I have a very very strong chance of getting arthritis as both my mother and father have it as do all of my older brothers and sisters. But what I would like to know please is will cycling help? Or will it potentially make it worse? I know increasing fitness and losing weight will help but will the actual act of cycling make things better or worse in the long run?
Are there any cyclists here that have arthritis and does it help?

I have arthritis in the leg I broke. Well, in that knee.

I was going to say something clever and witty, but I can't. I'm completely preoccupied with your "you know what"s

There was nothing i knew that could prevent it. But a knee brace and bengay all make it so much easier to tolerate.

Motion is the lotion to keep your joints healthy. Ensure that you bicycle is adjusted properly. An ill fitting bike will stress your knees and could result in patellofemoral issues.

Properly adjusted, cycling is good for your joints - knees and hips especially.

kana_marie said:
I have arthritis in the leg I broke. Well, in that knee.

I was going to say something clever and witty, but I can't. I'm completely preoccupied with your "you know what"s

There was nothing i knew that could prevent it. But a knee brace and bengay all make it so much easier to tolerate.
Ha ha they know you're talking about them! That must have been terrible, does it give you pain now?

maydog said:
Motion is the lotion to keep your joints healthy. Ensure that you bicycle is adjusted properly. An ill fitting bike will stress your knees and could result in patellofemoral issues.

Properly adjusted, cycling is good for your joints - knees and hips especially.
Thank you, would you recommend getting it looked at professionally to make sure it is right? I just don't want to end up making things worse, plus it would be nice to know that I am well adjusted!

Cycling is known to help strengthen cartilage to fend off arthritis and even improve the health of cartilage in some cases. What you want to do is get a high rpm, so you may need to gear up higher than you naturally would want to go to achieve this particular exercise, but it is definitely worth doing if you are at high risk of arthritis.

Reactions: Clairelouise84
DancingLady said:
Cycling is known to help strengthen cartilage to fend off arthritis and even improve the health of cartilage in some cases. What you want to do is get a high rpm, so you may need to gear up higher than you naturally would want to go to achieve this particular exercise, but it is definitely worth doing if you are at high risk of arthritis.
Thank you, I will definitely keep it up then, I was just worried about making it worse as I really don't know about any medical issues. Thanks again!

Cycling can strengthen the joints but it can also strain the joints if you put the gear to high for your personal level so just be careful with pushing it at first. Also if it is bothering you a brace will make it more bearable.

Reactions: Clairelouise84
katherine25 said:
Cycling can strengthen the joints but it can also strain the joints if you put the gear to high for your personal level so just be careful with pushing it at first. Also if it is bothering you a brace will make it more bearable.
Thanks Katherine, I may try a brace to help give me the support I need, I have decided to see a doctor to see what they recommend as I know it will be serious as they both have it very badly so I will see what the doctor says to me.