article about paramedic bicycle

Wafflycathcsdir

Guest
See from EDP online http://www.edp24.co.uk/content/News/story.asp?datetime=30+Jan+2003+05%3A30
&tbrand=EDPOnline&tCategory=NEWS&category=News&brand=EDPOnline&itemid=NOED
29+Jan+2003+22%3A48%3A46%3A787

or

http://makeashorterlink.com/?W39C12643

"Paramedic gets a new set of wheels

January 30, 2003 05:30

A pedalling paramedic has got a new bike – thanks to a high-flying squadron of volunteer helpers.

Ian Colquhoun has become a familiar site around Norwich city centre streets in the past 2½ years.
His new transport has been partly funded by personnel at RAF Coltishall, which provides a team of
'first responders' who use their paramedic skills to help the county's ambulance service.

To mark the station's 1000th emergency callout, it handed over £900 towards the bike, which has
been raised by personnel at the base who took part in fund-raising events, including a cycle ride
from Land's End to Lowestoft, the country's most easterly and westerly points.

Other contributions towards the £1400 bike came from Thorpe Townswomens Guild, Dr Mandana
Atashkadeh, the Octagon Centre at St Peter Mancroft Church, Norwich, and other private donors.

"This bike is top notch and will enable us to reach patients in the centre of Norwich even quicker,"
Mr Colquhoun said.

The team at Coltishall is on stand-by to help the East Anglian ambulance service in Norfolk and is
able to go to all parts of the county in their marked cars. The idea to set up teams of trained RAF
volun-teers came from a serviceman whose father died of a heart attack. Base spokesman Ed Bulpett
said: "The team has been recognised a very helpful augmentation to the ambulance service and we're
always there as a back-up.""

Cheers, helen s

~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~

> Other contributions towards the £1400 bike came from Thorpe Townswomens
Guild,
> Dr Mandana Atashkadeh, the Octagon Centre at St Peter Mancroft Church,
Norwich,
> and other private donors.
>
> "This bike is top notch and will enable us to reach patients in the centre
of
> Norwich even quicker," Mr Colquhoun said.

Err -- am I missing something? OK a supermarket 39.99 GBP bike would not be a good idea (are they
ever) but 1400 notes seems an aweful lot to spend on a bike unless that includes all the special
panniers and paramedic kit.

Norwich is not a massive place, the time difference between arriving at an incident is going to be
deterined by traffic, the fitness of the rider and luck long before the variations due to different
bikes come into play.

I would have thought they needed a good, strong hybrid with a decent rack and sensible tyres -- 500
GBP would be plenty.

snip

When I've seen paramedic on bike in Naarch, it's been completely kitted out - lots of stuff of rack
etc.. so it may mean *complete* cost rather than just bike alone.

Cheers, helen s