Mike:
Very nicely stated.
Please let us know if he responds to your comments.
Kerry
"Mike Kruger" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
"]news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:"Scott Munro" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
Quoted message said:
To hell with it. Everyone here knows the facts, and Eric Peters is obviously too stupid to care.
While you may be right, Scott, I decided to try anyway. I sent him the following letter. I will
update the group.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
--
Quoted message said:-----------------------------------------
I'm writing in response to
channels.netscape.compackage.jspOpen ↗ a piece you wrote on
bicycles sharing the road.There are some good points in the article. Certainly there are bicyclists who ride incorrectly,
and a couple of traffic tickets might go far toward improving that. In particular, only idiots
bike at night without at least the legal minimum lights and reflectors.However, there's a general attitude in your article, that everybody should get the heck out of my
way. There's also, in my opinion, a general misunderstanding of who is in whose way.Are good cyclists really in anybody's way, any more than they would be if they were just one more
solo driver in a Lincoln Navigator? That's
doubtful.
Quoted message said:
I'm in a suburban household with 4 drivers and two cars, and personally seldom drive. Instead, I
bike over 4,000 miles a year (and take the train
to
Quoted message said:work).
Back when I was in a car for those miles, I was one more solo driver clogging up the road. I was
the last car that made it through a traffic light, so you had to wait. I took up the last close
parking spot, so you had to park a block away. You had to wait 5 minutes for me while I
finished
Quoted message said:pumping my gas. I parked in front of your house, which was a real pain in the butt because nobody
wants to see a red 1982 Ford Escort out their
front
Quoted message said:window. My buddies and I drove to the gym during evening rush hour, and caused you to be an extra
minute late every working day because of the jam near the gym. I got rid of my pennies at the toll
booth, which made the automatic counter take an extra ten seconds counting them. My car alarm went
off when you leaned on my car to tie your shoe. Every other month, I hit the "panic button"
instead of the "door unlock" and it took me 20 seconds to figure out how to turn it off. I drove
the speed limit in the left lane of the expressway.I was Everyman in a white minivan. You didn't notice ME, because there
were
Quoted message said:so many of ME, and because I was YOU, too.
On my bike, I'm noticeable because I'm different, just like you notice the neighbor who owns a
yellow Corvette. But am I really in your way any more than I was then? No. I'm just more visible.
(and in a lot better shape
than
Quoted message said:I used to be)
Mike Kruger reply address: MikeKr at AOL dot COM