Article: Mammal mums can alter their offspring's sex

Robert Karl Sto

Guest
14:04 23 February 04

Knowing whether a pregnancy will produce a boy or girl is not left up to chance for some mammals -
UK biologists claim they have conclusive proof

their offspring.

It has long been known that many insects, birds and fish are capable of

mammals has been controversial. American biologist Robert Trivers first

their physical condition at the time of conception, and the idea has been debated for the 30
years since.

adjustment in ungulates - herbivorous mammals with hoofed feet - and found a consistent pattern
across the different species. Sons were produced in higher numbers by mothers who were in good
condition and daughters were preferentially produced by mothers in poor condition," explains Stuart
West at the University of Edinburgh, who carried out the study with Ben Sheldon from Oxford
University.

"In ungulate species, a few strong males control a large number of females, so only a small
proportion of males get to mate, whereas most of the females will mate.

"Therefore high quality females were more likely to undergo the greater demands of producing sons,
as the sons were more likely to be of high quality and therefore have a chance of mating.
Conversely, if maternal quality was poor, the ungulates produced daughters, since poor quality
daughters had a greater chance of mating than poor quality sons," he told New Scientist.

Read the rest at NewScientists http://www.newscientist.com/news/news.jsp?id=ns99994708

Comment: The reason for gender selection is not, as the article seems to imply (but the paper being
reported probably doesn't), by a conscious decision by the mother but by a process of natural
selection (of the trait to choose) that has a benefit to the herd. The mother receives no personal
benefit whatsoever by the breeding success or failure of her offspring.

Where the fittest females produce males and the rest produce females the herd's survival fitness is
maximised. Mothers that are not maximally fit and produce males anyway, those males are less likely
to breed and so less like to father females similar to their mothers.

This seems to be an example of herd or group fitness with a single natural selection component
acting on individuals. Note that there is no selection pressure on fit females that produce females.

Of course the pivotal word in this article is 'quality'. By what criteria is 'quality' judged?

Posted by Robert Karl Stonjek.

Robert Karl Stonjek <[email protected]> wrote or quoted:

> Read the rest at NewScientists http://www.newscientist.com/news/news.jsp?id=ns99994708
>
> Comment: The reason for gender selection is not, as the article seems to imply (but the paper
> being reported probably doesn't), by a conscious decision by the mother but by a process of
> natural selection (of the trait to choose) that has a benefit to the herd. The mother receives no
> personal benefit whatsoever by the breeding success or failure of her offspring.

Her *genes* benefit.
--
__________
|im |yler http://timtyler.org/ [email protected] Remove lock to reply.

> It has long been known that many insects, birds and fish are capable of

in
> mammals has been controversial. American biologist Robert Trivers first

> their physical condition at the time of conception, and the idea has been debated for the 30
> years since.

its offspring is beyond me. How can the female deer control the X and Y chromosome coming from the
male deer? What can the female deer do to ensure only the Y chromosome is successful and not the X?

Khoon.

Red Dragon <[email protected]> wrote or quoted:

> its offspring is beyond me. How can the female deer control the X and Y chromosome coming from
> the male deer? What can the female deer do to ensure only the Y chromosome is successful and
> not the X?

I don't know what it's doing - but one possibility is selective miscarriages.
--