Article on kids' safety

>Here's an interesting article, vaguely related to the recent "Young Cyclist Killed" thread.
>Cycling is only part of it, of course, but it's in there. Note the bit about neighborhood design,
>near the end.

It wasn't considered unusual when I was a kid to be outdoors for most of a vacation day, ranging
around and basically doing whatever.

But we did know that what we did had consequences, and we were regularly reminded by our WWII era
parents (who all knew each other) that if we got in trouble there would be consequences.

There weren't many TVs, and mostly no air conditioning, so unless you were a reader there wasn't any
alternative to the great outdoors.

The question that has to be asked (in the context of the article) is does the bemoaned lifestyle
derive from a failure of parental ideology or simply the fact that the world has changed.

I'd argue that the world has changed, significantly.

I have to say that my neice and nephew have little opportunity for what I would consider normal play
in the outdoors, they are well behaved and intelligent but not adventurous.

Somewhat withdrawn, very trusting of adults in their immediate family, and intensely technical.

But not innovative risk takers.

the Texas Elvis"------------------

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 00:19:39 -0500, "Eric S. Sande" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>>Here's an interesting article, vaguely related to the recent "Young Cyclist Killed" thread.
>>Cycling is only part of it, of course, but it's in there. Note the bit about neighborhood design,
>>near the end.
>
>It wasn't considered unusual when I was a kid to be outdoors for most of a vacation day, ranging
>around and basically doing whatever.
>
>But we did know that what we did had consequences, and we were regularly reminded by our WWII era
>parents (who all knew each other) that if we got in trouble there would be consequences.
>
>There weren't many TVs, and mostly no air conditioning, so unless you were a reader there wasn't
>any alternative to the great outdoors.
>
>The question that has to be asked (in the context of the article) is does the bemoaned lifestyle
>derive from a failure of parental ideology or simply the fact that the world has changed.
>
>I'd argue that the world has changed, significantly.

Birthrates have fallen in the first world, as well, which boils down to much fewer kids on the
block. It's tough to get a pickup game of baseball started.

I'm routinely surprised at how much freedom I used to have as compared to my younger brothers.

When I was little, we lived in a nice neighbourhood of Tegucigalpa, in Honduras, and I and the
neighbourhood kids would go riding our bikes around and generally hang out. We'd ride our bikes in
construction sites--best time was when they'd dug foundations but hadn't put in the forms for
pouring yet. This is where I first learned how to descend a very steep slope--after crashing a few
times. No helmets in those days, of course.

My younger brothers have grown up in the States, and something has changed. My mother and father,
who were quite happy to let me go and play with the neighborhood kids and go riding my bike
wherever, are extremely wary of my younger brothers straying very far from home without supervision.
Net result: neither of them know how to ride a bicycle very well. They can do it, but they cant' do
any of the usual kid tricks, like wheelies, bunnyhops, curbsurfing, bike tag....

I'm the loony in the family; I ride my bicycle for ridiculous distances just to ride my bicycle. My
parents are even nervous about me being out on the public roads. (I can't even take my Dad riding
with me, he's so scared of the roads, but maybe that's another issue altogether).

I guess the answer is that this is a far more anonymous place (NoVA) that we live in than we used to
when I was a little kid. There are other kids on the block that I see playing, but they don't play
with my brothers, and my brothers don't play with them. I don't know those kids other than by face
(and sometimes bicycle). I don't say hello (I do wave every now and then) --is it because I'm afraid
of being misconstrued? At the end of the day, one of those kids could well vanish, and I wouldn't
know or notice--just as one of my brothers could vanish, and they wouldn't notice either.

-Luigi "Under neon loneliness, Motorcycle emptiness..." -Manic Street Preachers

www.livejournal.com/users/ouij Photos, rants, raves

In article <[email protected]>,
"Eric S. Sande" <[email protected]> writes:

> There weren't many TVs, and mostly no air conditioning, so unless you were a reader there wasn't
> any alternative to the great outdoors.
>
> The question that has to be asked (in the context of the article) is does the bemoaned lifestyle
> derive from a failure of parental ideology or simply the fact that the world has changed.

I recall chumming around outside with lots of neighbourhood friends. In fact, looking back, it was
quite an elaborate and intricate social network we kids had. And we'd generally look out for each
other -- parents' supervisions would have been redundant dead weight, and not particularly welcome
in most of our endeavours, enterprises, activities & adventures.

cheers, Tom