Article on kids' safety

In article <[email protected]>, "frkrygow" <"frkrygow"@omitcc.ysu.edu> says...
> None wrote:
> > Additionally, as am employee of a small school district, there are added costs in today's world
> > that were not present in the educational environment of yesteryear.
> >
> > There have been added legislative requirements that make school buildings more expensive (safe,
> > useable, effecient, etc.), the price of land in the size needed has increased as well as good
> > citizens thinking they can get a premium when schools buy their land (government has lots of
> > money), educational expectations and reporting requirements have increased (local, state and
> > federal), we have things now that we didn't have even 25 years ago (computers, networks, larger
> > sports arenas, higher utility bills, etc.), Title IX and other gender equalizing legislation,
> > laws mandating that public schools offer the same programs to all eligible students regardless
> > of circumstance (handicapped, multi-ethnic, etc.), salaries of teachers and staff have risen
> > (some would say they are still too low) and all of this combined with a growing sense of
> > increased expectations has added costs to our educational system that were not present in the
> > funding considerations of the time period we would all like to return to. ...
>
> It seems to me that some of those "rising costs" may not have risen much if measured in constant
> dollars - which is the only rational way to measure such things. Some other things mentioned are,
> I think, of _highly_ questionable value.

IMO they are, but they are still required by law.

> But attitudes can be changed (partly by discussion, which we're engaged in now), and when
> attitudes change, the direction of the changes can be affected. My attitude is that "out-in-the-
> cornfield" schools have negatives that need to be recognized; and that school, being one
> place where children _have_ to go, should normally be in a place a child can get to. Seems
> logical to me!

The counter-argument is that since the kids are required to go, it doesn't matter where it is,
because the parents will do whatever is necessary to get them there, so they might as well put it
where land is cheap. I don't agree with this, but it's certainly a possibility.

> Seems to me it's spent to give opportunties and priveledges to a small group of student athletes,
> of whom an at-best tiny percentage may have brief careers chasing after balls in front of bigger
> audiences. Most will gain no benefit at all, other than stories to tell when sitting in a bar
> someday.

Team sports have benefits other than the rare chance of getting a scholarship or making a living at
them. Working as a team, working hard to achieve a goal, physical fitness, making friends beyond the
crowd you normally hang out with, to name just a few.

> I know it's simplistic, but if that money were spent instead to make the school accessible by
> walking or biking, we might encourage healthy habits in a much larger group of students.

They are not mutually exclusive.

"David Kerber" <ns_dkerber@ns_ids.net> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Team sports have benefits other than the rare chance of getting a scholarship or making a living
> at them. Working as a team, working hard to achieve a goal, physical fitness, making friends
> beyond the crowd you normally hang out with, to name just a few.

Big Fat F*&%in' Whoopee.

You can get all these benefits (except, possibly, physical fitness) from being in school plays, or
participating in the debate team, just for starters. But you sure don't get the glory (or the
financial support as Frank notes) the way the football team does.

The reality is, as adults, you probably aren't going to be playing football or baseball, you're
going to be bicycling, swimming, doing aerobics or practicing yoga. We should be giving kids skills
in physical activities that produce a lifetime of fitness.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky

Home of the meditative cyclist:

New CD coming out this month! See: http://www.tiferet.net

"To forgive is to set the prisoner free and then discover the prisoner
was you."

"None" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Additionally, as am employee of a small school district, there are added costs in today's world
> that were not present in the educational
environment
> of yesteryear.
>
> There have been added legislative requirements that make school buildings more expensive

Maybe that's why every single school in the bay area has portables all over their campuses.

> the price of land in the size needed has increased as well as good citizens thinking they can get
> a premium when schools buy their land (government has lots of money),

Sorry but contrary to this whole line of thinking - a large piece of property that would allow
a large school is much harder to find and far more expensive to put together than more and
smaller schools.

Sometimes I have to wonder what passes for thinking these days. Do you really suppose that Frank is
so stupid that he just blurts out stuff without consideration?

> "David Kerber" <ns_dkerber@ns_ids.net> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
> > Team sports have benefits other than the rare chance of getting a scholarship or making a living
> > at them. Working as a team, working hard to achieve a goal, physical fitness, making friends
> > beyond the crowd you normally hang out with, to name just a few.
>
> Big Fat F*&%in' Whoopee.

That's why I love you Claire. You are SOOO to-the-point.

> The reality is, as adults, you probably aren't going to be playing
football
> or baseball, you're going to be bicycling, swimming, doing aerobics or practicing yoga. We should
> be giving kids skills in physical activities
that
> produce a lifetime of fitness.

Indeed. I find it absolutely appalling that children are being driven to school when they live less
than a half mile from their schools.

> "None" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Additionally, as am employee of a small school district, there are added costs in today's world
> > that were not present in the educational
> environment
> > of yesteryear.
> >
> > There have been added legislative requirements that make school buildings more expensive
>
> Maybe that's why every single school in the bay area has portables all over their campuses.
>
> > the price of land in the size needed has increased as well as good citizens thinking they can
> > get a premium when schools buy their land (government has lots of money),
>
> Sorry but contrary to this whole line of thinking - a large piece of property that would allow a
> large school is much harder to find and far more expensive to put together than more and smaller
> schools.

But a single big plot way out in the boonies is much cheaper than 4 smaller plots in town (which
probably total much more land than the big one does), which is what was being discussed.

In article <yg5_b.34860$Xp.158358@attbi_s54>, [email protected] says...
> "David Kerber" <ns_dkerber@ns_ids.net> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
> > Team sports have benefits other than the rare chance of getting a scholarship or making a living
> > at them. Working as a team, working hard to achieve a goal, physical fitness, making friends
> > beyond the crowd you normally hang out with, to name just a few.
>
> Big Fat F*&%in' Whoopee.
>
> You can get all these benefits (except, possibly, physical fitness) from being in school plays, or
> participating in the debate team, just for starters. But you sure don't get the glory (or the
> financial support as Frank notes) the way the football team does.

Also, the school play and debate team are often harder to get onto than the sports teams are,
because the numbers they can use are so limited.

> The reality is, as adults, you probably aren't going to be playing football or baseball, you're
> going to be bicycling, swimming, doing aerobics or practicing yoga. We should be giving kids
> skills in physical activities that produce a lifetime of fitness.

Tennis, volleyball, basketball, soccer, golf or swim team, anyone? I know plenty of people older
than me who do all of those, either on their own or as part of an organized team, and they are all
part of high school sports programs. The local YMCA has a drop-in volleyball night, and the local
indoor sports place has recreational adult flag football and soccer leagues, and there are TONS of
adult basketball and softball leagues around.

---

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 13:12:28 -0500, David Kerber <ns_dkerber@ns_ids.net> from

>Also, the school play and debate team are often harder to get onto than the sports teams are,
>because the numbers they can use are so limited.

Unlike sports teams, I have never seen a person turned away from a school arts program for lack of
positions or even talent.

--
[email protected]
Be dirty.

> "David Kerber" <ns_dkerber@ns_ids.net> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
> > Team sports have benefits other than the rare chance of getting a scholarship or making a living
> > at them. Working as a team, working hard to achieve a goal, physical fitness, making friends
> > beyond the crowd you normally hang out with, to name just a few.
>
> Big Fat F*&%in' Whoopee.
>
> You can get all these benefits (except, possibly, physical fitness) from being in school plays, or
> participating in the debate team, just for starters. But you sure don't get the glory (or the
> financial support as Frank notes) the way the football team does.
>
> The reality is, as adults, you probably aren't going to be playing
football
> or baseball, you're going to be bicycling, swimming, doing aerobics or practicing yoga. We should
> be giving kids skills in physical activities
that
> produce a lifetime of fitness.

I agree with you Claire. I got the above argument about team sports from a sports med. trainer I
ride with. So I enrolled her in dance class and bought her a nice bike. :)

"Luigi de Guzman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 17:41:37 GMT, "Matt O'Toole" <[email protected]>
wrote: In part...
> In an ideal world, I wouldn't let a kid drive until he had ridden his
bicycle in traffic--some of it quite heavy--for at least a year. Not segregated on bike trails, but
in the midst of it all. It makes me a better driver: more

In the spirit of a discussion of the safety of children:

In an ideal world, kids would not drive at all. They are a significant threat to themselves. Kids
should walk, ride a bicycle, or be driven.

Almost everyone knows a kid, or several, who died behind the wheel.

"Luigi de Guzman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:eek:[email protected]...
> On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 22:47:38 -0500, "frkrygow" <"frkrygow"@omitcc.ysu.edu> wrote:
>
> >I'm not so sure about the "limited public funds" concept. How did our prosperous society become
> >unable to fund something as proper as a school in the neighborhood??
> >
> >What I mean is: Such schools used to be the norm, when families typically had more kids and only
> >one worker (and so, much less disposable income).
> >
> >I imagine teachers made smaller salaries in those days, and I'm not proposing that they work for
> >less. But that can't be the only reason that such schools are somehow "too expensive."
> >

> The costs of maintaining the structures themselves was prohibitive. The structures themselves were
> aging, and due for a refit in a few years--and the town wasn't sanguine about refitting four
> schools where they could refit and expand two for less. There are other things, as well.
>
> I should say that the opponents of the school consolidation put up a valiant fight, and were
> defeated in the bond referendum. The Athenians, those great democrats, put it best when they
> delivered their ultimatum to the Melians. We live in a world where "...the strong do what they
> will, and the weak suffer as they must."
>
> >Is there a chance the problem is merely an unwillingness to pay for such schools - that is, for
> >better schools?
>

> Public funds are limited, and limted, yes, by the unwillingness of people to pay for schools, or
> roadways, or policing. The list goes on and on.
>
> >Today, we seem to have many more double income families spending far more than ever before on
> >extra cars, mega-homes, luxurious furnishings & home entertainment centers, electronic gadgets of
> >every kind, restaurant meals ...
> >
> >But ask anyone. Taxes are far, far too high! I assume that means taxes for education as well. (I
> >heard that when a local levy failed around here, it was the mega-home precincts that voted it
> >down.) And I know that state support of colleges is dropping rapidly.
> >
> >Can it be that we're stealing from kids to buy 3000 square foot homes?
>
> This is one of the most affluent counties in the country, and could probably afford a small
> increase in taxes. A levy here, too, was defeated. Nobody wanted to give any more in tax than they
> were already giving. Never mind that the idea of raising taxes locally and spending them locally
> might have been liberating (the alternative--paying taxes to Richmond and then watching the
> General Assembly distribute them to less-populous parts of the Commonwealth--wasn't getting much
> done here in terms of constructing new schools, roadways, mass transit, etc) nobody was willing to
> give it a try.
>
> But just try advocating a tax rise, even on the rich, and see how quickly you're shot down.
>
> -Luigi

Why does it have to always be an increase in taxes when special interests in Government waste so
much? How about re-allocation of existing taxes? Cut a pork program to fund something worthwhile?

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 19:50:19 GMT, "Frank Knox"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Why does it have to always be an increase in taxes when special interests in Government waste so
>much? How about re-allocation of existing taxes? Cut a pork program to fund something worthwhile?

All pork is worthwhile. *grin* It is the grease that packs the bearings of government, after all.

-Luigi

<ns_dkerber@ns_ids.net> wrote:

>Also, the school play and debate team are often harder to get onto than the sports teams are,
>because the numbers they can use are so limited.

Is it because numbers are limited by the allocation of scarce resources to other activities?

<snip>

>Tennis, volleyball, basketball, soccer, golf or swim team, anyone? I know plenty of people older
>than me who do all of those, either on their own or as part of an organized team, and they are all
>part of high school sports programs. The local YMCA has a drop-in volleyball night, and the local
>indoor sports place has recreational adult flag football and soccer leagues, and there are TONS of
>adult basketball and softball leagues around.

Totally off-topic: when was the last time you saw a bunch of adults, of whichever gender, playing a
pickup game of baseball?

At the dawn of that particular national pastime, it was remarked that the game was something grown
men played and played spontaneously. Now, only children do it, and only in organized leagues.

Never mind the standings. play ball!

-Luigi

ghost man on second!

David Kerber wrote:

> Team sports have benefits other than the rare chance of getting a scholarship or making a living
> at them. Working as a team, working hard to achieve a goal, physical fitness, making friends
> beyond the crowd you normally hang out with, to name just a few.

We can get all these benefits without building football stadiums.

Matt O.

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 13:15:12 -0500, David Kerber
<ns_dkerber@ns_ids.net> wrote:

>In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
>> "None" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>> > Additionally, as am employee of a small school district, there are added costs in today's world
>> > that were not present in the educational
>> environment
>> > of yesteryear.
>> >
>> > There have been added legislative requirements that make school buildings more expensive
>>
>> Maybe that's why every single school in the bay area has portables all over their campuses.
>>
>> > the price of land in the size needed has increased as well as good citizens thinking they can
>> > get a premium when schools buy their land (government has lots of money),
>>
>> Sorry but contrary to this whole line of thinking - a large piece of property that would allow a
>> large school is much harder to find and far more expensive to put together than more and smaller
>> schools.
>
>But a single big plot way out in the boonies is much cheaper than 4 smaller plots in town (which
>probably total much more land than the big one does), which is what was being discussed.

IN the specific case I was discussing, that started this whole argument, it was not a new plot in
the boonies* that was under consideration. It was the consolidation of a number of neighborhood
schools into two schools that would serve the whole town; the two schools that would receive the
additional students were already existing.

As I mentioned, the discussion was whether or not it was more economical to consolidate the schools,
or to keep the same arrangements, knowing that in five to seven years all four buildings would have
to come up for major renovation.

-Luigi

Tom Kunich wrote:

> Sorry but contrary to this whole line of thinking - a large piece of property that would allow a
> large school is much harder to find and far more expensive to put together than more and smaller
> schools.

This is often true -- witness the Belmont High School debacle in Los Angeles. The only large parcels
left in the city are often derelict industrial sites.

A bit of trivia -- the historic Ambassador Hotel, where Bobby Kennedy was shot, and site of the
legendary Coconut Grove nightclub, is owned by the LA Unified School District. The hotel property is
the only remaining large parcel for miles around, and will eventually be used for a school. The
hotel building itself is vacant but mostly preserved, and can still be rented for functions. If
there's something going on and the building is open, you can go in and check out the lobby, see the
guest book and other memorabilia, and talk to the docent. There's a society devoted to saving the
building. It may be converted to office use, but it will likely be demolished -- a real shame.

> Sometimes I have to wonder what passes for thinking these days. Do you really suppose that Frank
> is so stupid that he just blurts out stuff without consideration?

First, it wasn't Frank who said big schools were cheaper. Second, most people don't live in CA or
New York City, where everything is overbuilt already, and land values are astronomical -- much more
expensive than the buildings themselves. In most of the US, the opposite is still true. However,
people's thinking changes very slowly. It's only recently that Los Angeles has started building two-
story schools again.

Matt O.

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 19:55:11 GMT, "Matt O'Toole" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>David Kerber wrote:
>
>> Team sports have benefits other than the rare chance of getting a scholarship or making a living
>> at them. Working as a team, working hard to achieve a goal, physical fitness, making friends
>> beyond the crowd you normally hang out with, to name just a few.
>
>We can get all these benefits without building football stadiums.

In universities, the stadia themselves are revenue streams: gate from games, fees and gate from
special events, broadcasting rights, etcetera.

There was a lot of talk lately about a college freshman who wanted to become eligible for the NFL
draft. Initially, I thought the league was justified in preventing him from signing up, but after
giving the matter some thought, I figure they should just drop the pretense that these kids are in
the university for any sort of education whatsoever...

Let the professional leagues form development leagues, minor leagues, or whatever they want to be
called, and let the kids earn their drug money playing there. So much money is at stake in so-called
'amateur' competition that the distortions are on the whole injurious to the whole idea of the
university.

-Luigi

In article <[email protected]>, Kevan@mouse- potato.com says...
> Supernews, http://www.supernews.com wrote:
>
> >Also, the school play and debate team are often harder to get onto than the sports teams are,
> >because the numbers they can use are so limited.
>
> Unlike sports teams, I have never seen a person turned away from a school arts program for lack of
> positions or even talent.

I have. In my high school, they had more people trying out for the plays than they had room for. And
at that school, they never turned anybody down who wanted to be on a sports team. The ones with
little talent may not have played much, but they were allowed to be on the team. I realize that's
not a common situation though, especially at larger schools.

In article <[email protected]>, luigi12081 @cox.net says...
> On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 13:12:28 -0500, David Kerber <ns_dkerber@ns_ids.net> wrote:
>

> >Also, the school play and debate team are often harder to get onto than the sports teams are,
> >because the numbers they can use are so limited.
>
> Is it because numbers are limited by the allocation of scarce resources to other activities?
>
> <snip>
> >
> >Tennis, volleyball, basketball, soccer, golf or swim team, anyone? I know plenty of people older
> >than me who do all of those, either on their own or as part of an organized team, and they are
> >all part of high school sports programs. The local YMCA has a drop-in volleyball night, and the
> >local indoor sports place has recreational adult flag football and soccer leagues, and there are
> >TONS of adult basketball and softball leagues around.
>
> Totally off-topic: when was the last time you saw a bunch of adults, of whichever gender, playing
> a pickup game of baseball?

Never baseball, but there are tons of adults, both men and women playing _softball_ in organized and
semi-organized leagues, and occasional pickup games.

> At the dawn of that particular national pastime, it was remarked that the game was something grown
> men played and played spontaneously. Now, only children do it, and only in organized leagues.

Don't you have any softball leagues around you?

> David Kerber wrote:
>
> > Team sports have benefits other than the rare chance of getting a scholarship or making a living
> > at them. Working as a team, working hard to achieve a goal, physical fitness, making friends
> > beyond the crowd you normally hang out with, to name just a few.
>
> We can get all these benefits without building football stadiums.

No doubt, but at many schools, the income from the football program supports the entire athletic
department and all the other sports associated with it.

Frank Knox wrote:

> In an ideal world, kids would not drive at all. They are a significant threat to themselves. Kids
> should walk, ride a bicycle, or be driven.

If they can walk or ride bicycle, they wouldn't need to be driven, either.

> Almost everyone knows a kid, or several, who died behind the wheel.

My high school class had 4 car accident deaths within 2 weeks of graduation.

I don't think kids should be driving either. Cars are an expensive, dangerous, pointless distraction
for teenagers. They should be studying, playing sports, or doing something productive -- not driving
to the mall to some dumbass fast food or retail job so they can afford gas money to drive to the
mall. Entire industries like pizza delivery are being subsidized by parents of these kids, who buy
them cars, pay for their insurance, etc.

Matt O.