Artistic Vegetable/Fruit Cutting Techniques

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Keith, Aug 28, 2005.

  1. Keith

    Keith Guest

    Hi all

    I ate at a Thai restaurant a couple of years ago and the vegetables/fruit
    decorating the plate were cut in such a way that they looked more like art
    than edible food. Resembling roses, etc.

    Is there a name for this type of artistic work?

    Tags:

  2. On Sun 28 Aug 2005 12:51:34p, Keith wrote in rec.food.cooking:

    > Hi all
    >
    > I ate at a Thai restaurant a couple of years ago and the vegetables/fruit
    > decorating the plate were cut in such a way that they looked more like art
    > than edible food. Resembling roses, etc.
    >
    > Is there a name for this type of artistic work?

    AFAIK, just "vegetable Carving". Take a look here...

    http://perso.wanadoo.fr/cuisine-thailandaise/index8.htm

    --
    Wayne Boatwright *¿*

    My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four,
    unless there are three other people.

  3. Keith

    Keith Guest

    Cheers Wayne. That's the one!

    "Wayne Boatwright" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Sun 28 Aug 2005 12:51:34p, Keith wrote in rec.food.cooking:
    >

    > AFAIK, just "vegetable Carving". Take a look here...
    >
    > http://perso.wanadoo.fr/cuisine-thailandaise/index8.htm
    >
    > --
    > Wayne Boatwright *¿*
    >
    > My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four,
    > unless there are three other people.

  4. Glad I could help!

    On Sun 28 Aug 2005 01:18:18p, Keith wrote in rec.food.cooking:

    > Cheers Wayne. That's the one!
    >

    > "Wayne Boatwright" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> On Sun 28 Aug 2005 12:51:34p, Keith wrote in rec.food.cooking:
    >>

    >> AFAIK, just "vegetable Carving". Take a look here...
    >>
    >> http://perso.wanadoo.fr/cuisine-thailandaise/index8.htm

    --
    Wayne Boatwright *¿*

    My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four,
    unless there are three other people.

  5. Clay Irving

    Clay Irving Guest

    On 2005-08-28, Keith <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I ate at a Thai restaurant a couple of years ago and the vegetables/fruit
    > decorating the plate were cut in such a way that they looked more like art
    > than edible food. Resembling roses, etc.
    >
    > Is there a name for this type of artistic work?

    As others have indicated, it is just called fruit and vegetable carving,
    or "kae-sa-lak" in Thai. Temple of Thai has books and carving tools:

    http://www.templeofthai.com/fruit_carving/

    There are some awesome pictures here:

    http://www.modernthaifood.com/carving.html
    http://www.thaifruitcarving.com/gallery.php