Aryan Nation Bicycle Century??

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Claire Petersky, Jun 23, 2003.

  1. Recently my husband and I were talking about looking for a good organized bike event to participate
    in while our kids were at summer camp.

    My husband postulated, with his typical black humor, that there was going to be an Aryan Nation
    Fun Run and Bicycle Century in the Idaho panhandle. He joked that the event would be marketed to
    Jews and people of color, and then while we were all out there having a jolly time riding our
    bikes and running on the streets, the members of the infamous hate group would run us over in
    their pick-up trucks.

    We had a good laugh at this, until I found out that the Aryan Nation indeed had a march and rally in
    Coeur D'Alene this weekend. Then the joke wasn't quite as funny.

    Still, I wonder if a bicycle century and fun run was a part of this event.

    Warm Regards,

    Claire Petersky ([email protected])

    Home of the meditative cyclist: http://home.earthlink.net/~cpetersky/Welcome.htm

    Singing with you at: http://www.tiferet.net/

    Books just wanna be FREE! See what I mean at: http://bookcrossing.com/friend/Cpetersky

    Tags:

  2. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Claire
    Petersky) wrote:

    > Recently my husband and I were talking about looking for a good organized bike event to
    > participate in while our kids were at summer camp.
    >
    > My husband postulated, with his typical black humor, that there was going to be an Aryan Nation
    > Fun Run and Bicycle Century in the Idaho panhandle. He joked that the event would be marketed to
    > Jews and people of color, and then while we were all out there having a jolly time riding our
    > bikes and running on the streets, the members of the infamous hate group would run us over in
    > their pick-up trucks.
    >
    > We had a good laugh at this, until I found out that the Aryan Nation indeed had a march and rally
    > in Coeur D'Alene this weekend. Then the joke wasn't quite as funny.
    >
    > Still, I wonder if a bicycle century and fun run was a part of this event.
    >
    > Warm Regards,

    LOL, hahah... somehow I just can't see those guys being into cycling. They are known for being
    notoriously homophobic, and would probably see cyclists as gay. Cyclists already sort of have that
    image of being sissies in spandex with shaved legs, and I can imagine them thinking it's a 'sport
    for fairies'.

  3. On 23 Jun 2003 14:45:24 -0700, [email protected] (Claire Petersky) wrote:

    >We had a good laugh at this, until I found out that the Aryan Nation indeed had a march and rally
    >in Coeur D'Alene this weekend. Then the joke wasn't quite as funny.
    >
    >Still, I wonder if a bicycle century and fun run was a part of this event.

    I just had a hilarious mental image of Jesse Helms wearing a racing jersey and his old Klan hood,
    with aero bars, time-trialing across Idaho.

  4. > I just had a hilarious mental image of Jesse Helms wearing a racing jersey and his old Klan hood,
    > with aero bars, time-trialing across Idaho.

    My mental image is a bunch of ultra-right-wing trailer trash sitting out there on the porch, getting
    lessons from their sisters or wives on how to shave their legs.

  5. Dane Jackson

    Dane Jackson Guest

    Zippy the Pinhead <[email protected]> wrote:
    > On 23 Jun 2003 14:45:24 -0700, [email protected] (Claire Petersky) wrote:
    >
    >>We had a good laugh at this, until I found out that the Aryan Nation indeed had a march and rally
    >>in Coeur D'Alene this weekend. Then the joke wasn't quite as funny.
    >>
    >>Still, I wonder if a bicycle century and fun run was a part of this event.
    >
    > I just had a hilarious mental image of Jesse Helms wearing a racing jersey and his old Klan hood,
    > with aero bars, time-trialing across Idaho.

    Errrk!! Brain frozen Incompatible image processed in visual cortex Core dumped Process terminated

    --
    Dane Jackson - z u v e m b i @ u n i x b i g o t s . o r g "If once a man indulges himself in
    murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he next comes to drinking

  6. Waxxer

    Waxxer Guest

    As a bonified member of the Errorian Nation I must take offense to this kind ov talk! Hear in Cort
    Du Lane we take pride of our communitee. We are God lovin and law abiden. We just take exception to
    anybody who thinks lycra is more acceptable than camouflage. In fact we would welcome ya'all to come
    up here and participate in our annual faggot shoot. Best you where a minoura so we can get the bucks
    in your heard.

    You think of Lance Armstrong as your God. Shit, he lives in France. And France supported the
    Irackies. My head has less hair than your balls! So who is shavin what for performance?

    My For Trax vehicle will smoke your bicycle and I can carry a 12 pack of Bud with my AR-15 turned
    fully otto.

    Traler trash? Wees goin to be lookin fur you Mike.

    Molatov or is it Mozltov

    National spokeman for the ANAL (Merican Nation Against Liberals) "Mike Jacoubowsky"
    > > I just had a hilarious mental image of Jesse Helms wearing a racing jersey and his old Klan
    > > hood, with aero bars, time-trialing across Idaho.
    >
    > My mental image is a bunch of ultra-right-wing trailer trash sitting out there on the porch,
    > getting lessons from their sisters or wives on how to shave their legs.

  7. R.White

    R.White Guest

    > > I just had a hilarious mental image of Jesse Helms wearing a racing jersey and his old Klan
    > > hood, with aero bars, time-trialing across Idaho.
    >
    > My mental image is a bunch of ultra-right-wing trailer trash sitting out there on the porch,
    > getting lessons from their sisters or wives on how to shave their legs.

    Trailer trash are left wing Dems by nature. They don't bite the hand that feeds them.

  8. On Tue, 24 Jun 2003 03:01:47 GMT, "Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >My mental image is a bunch of ultra-right-wing trailer trash sitting out there on the porch,
    >getting lessons from their sisters or wives on how to shave their legs.

    Usually their wives, sisters, or mothers, probably. Or more than one of those unified in the
    same person.

    Jasper

  9. Zippy the Pinhead wrote:

    > I just had a hilarious mental image of Jesse Helms wearing a racing jersey and his old Klan hood,
    > with aero bars, time-trialing across Idaho.

    How about Robert Byrd? His hood and paraphanalia is a little newer, not to mention his movie
    credits. And then he's a Democrat, too, to even out the political representation.

    Alexander Gilchrist

  10. Jasper Janssen wrote:

    > On Tue, 24 Jun 2003 03:01:47 GMT, "Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >My mental image is a bunch of ultra-right-wing trailer trash sitting out there on the porch,
    > >getting lessons from their sisters or wives on how to shave their legs.
    >
    > Usually their wives, sisters, or mothers, probably. Or more than one of those unified in the
    > same person.
    >
    > Jasper

    I wonder what the reaction would be if someone were to talk in this same vein about blacks or
    hispanics. "Trailer trash?" The dear old innuendos about incest? It seems to me to be about the
    same as making jokes about blacks and watermelon. Pretty offensive, if you ask me. But of course,
    nobody has.

    Don't give me the crap about "but this is about politics." It's social stereotyping, however you try
    to rationalize it.

    Alexander Gilchrist

  11. On Tue, 24 Jun 2003 03:01:47 GMT, "Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >> I just had a hilarious mental image of Jesse Helms wearing a racing jersey and his old Klan hood,
    >> with aero bars, time-trialing across Idaho.
    >
    >My mental image is a bunch of ultra-right-wing trailer trash sitting out there on the porch,
    >getting lessons from their sisters or wives on how to shave their legs.
    >
    >--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

    Who knows, the sister and wife may be the same person!

    larry
    --
    To reply by e-mail, be polite. Rudeness will get you nowhere.

  12. In article <[email protected]>, mikej1 @ix.netcom.com says...
    > > I just had a hilarious mental image of Jesse Helms wearing a racing jersey and his old Klan
    > > hood, with aero bars, time-trialing across Idaho.
    >
    > My mental image is a bunch of ultra-right-wing trailer trash sitting out there on the porch,
    > getting lessons from their sisters or wives on how to shave their legs.

    Mental image of jpoulous on a bike.
    --
    _________________________

  13. Fritz M

    Fritz M Guest

  14. Pat

    Pat Guest

    x-no-archive:yes

    > I wonder what the reaction would be if someone were to talk in this same vein about blacks or
    > hispanics. "Trailer trash?" The dear old innuendos about incest? It seems to me to be about the
    > same as making jokes about blacks and watermelon. Pretty offensive, if you ask me. But of course,
    > nobody has.
    >
    > Don't give me the crap about "but this is about politics." It's social stereotyping, however you
    > try to rationalize it.
    >
    > Alexander Gilchrist

    It seems to me the difference is that someone does not chose to be a black or Hispanic. If you are
    taking exception to some idea that the posters mean ALL people who live in mobile homes are "trailer
    trash", I don't believe anyone has said that. Therefore, the idea comes from you, Alexander, not
    them. They were talking about people who behave in an unsavory way by choice, and if that is "social
    stereotyping", then it merely a comment on some people's way of life, not an inherent condition of
    birth. Surely, you can see the difference.

    Pat in Texas

  15. R.White

    R.White Guest

    Alexander Gilchrist <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Jasper Janssen wrote:
    > >
    > > On Tue, 24 Jun 2003 03:01:47 GMT, "Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > > >My mental image is a bunch of ultra-right-wing trailer trash sitting out there on the porch,
    > > >getting lessons from their sisters or wives on how to shave their legs.
    > >
    > > Usually their wives, sisters, or mothers, probably. Or more than one of those unified in the
    > > same person.
    > >
    > > Jasper
    >
    > I wonder what the reaction would be if someone were to talk in this same vein about blacks or
    > hispanics. "Trailer trash?" The dear old innuendos about incest? It seems to me to be about the
    > same as making jokes about blacks and watermelon. Pretty offensive, if you ask me. But of course,
    > nobody has.

    The same as if you were talking about Christians but that's acceptable in todays society.

    The problem with comparing race with white trash is that you are born a certain race, not so with
    white trash. A man cannot change the color of his skin, but he can move out of the trailer park.
    Broken down car and major appliances in the yard are not forced upon anyone. It's a choice.

    Check out: http://www.missouritrailertrash.com/ Don't frget to view the "inflatable church" while
    you're there.

    > Don't give me the crap about "but this is about politics." It's social stereotyping, however you
    > try to rationalize it.

    No, it's socio-economic stereotyping.

  16. In article <[email protected]>, "Mike Jacoubowsky"

  17. Pat wrote:

    > It seems to me the difference is that someone does not chose to be a black or Hispanic. If you are
    > taking exception to some idea that the posters mean ALL people who live in mobile homes are
    > "trailer trash", I don't believe anyone has said that. Therefore, the idea comes from you,
    > Alexander, not them. They were talking about people who behave in an unsavory way by choice, and
    > if that is "social stereotyping", then it merely a comment on some people's way of life, not an
    > inherent condition of birth. Surely, you can see the difference.
    >
    > Pat in Texas

    Oh, I see. So that makes it OK to ridicule and insult those people since they not of a minority
    race, only of a lower socio-economic "order," that "chooses" to live in poverty.

    Question: since there seem to be a number of people posting that appear to be somewhat judgemental
    about the "trailer trash," (of itself and in their use generalizing and making a fairly blanket
    statement, rather condemnatory), I wonder how many of these people have ever lived in a mobile home
    park and gotten to know any of those whom they put down and to whom they apparently feel so
    superior. I have, and I can speak from experience that thepeople living in the mobile home parks are
    as a whole (just as much a whole as those of other races) a pretty kind and considerate bunch, who
    in my experience, are very helpful to others, particularly to those who are down and out or have
    other problems. Of course there are some who have trashy ways and attitudes, just as there are those
    of other races who have similar attitudes and ways. My point was that ridiculing these with a broad
    brush is, or should be, as offensive as racial stereotyping. The statement of another poster that no
    one can change the color of his skin, but he can move out of a "trailer" park is totally unrealistic
    and shows little or no understanding of these people or their situations. Rather like Marie
    Antoinette's attitude of "Let them eat cake." They are generally in a situation that doesn't allow
    that option - usually poverty, often both poverty and ill-health.

    Indeed, no one has specifically stated that "All people who live in mobile homes are 'trailer
    trash,'" but it certainly was implied, as you will see if you re-read the postings with an open mind
    and a sensitive awareness of other's feelings. Therefore the statement that the idea must come from
    me is based upon faulty logic.

    BTW, I have no idea where most of the posters of this thread dwell, but here in SC, the restrictions
    and requirements under the laws do not permit any such appliances or junk cars to be on the
    premises, or even on private property. YMMV in other parts of the country.

    Alexander Gilchrist

  18. Pat

    Pat Guest

    x-no-archive:yes

    > > It seems to me the difference is that someone does not chose to be a
    black
    > > or Hispanic. If you are taking exception to some idea that the posters
    mean
    > > ALL people who live in mobile homes are "trailer trash", I don't believe anyone has said that.
    > > Therefore, the idea comes from you, Alexander,
    not
    > > them. They were talking about people who behave in an unsavory way by choice, and if that is
    > > "social stereotyping", then it merely a comment
    on
    > > some people's way of life, not an inherent condition of birth. Surely,
    you
    > > can see the difference.
    > >
    > > Pat in Texas
    >
    > Oh, I see. So that makes it OK to ridicule and insult those people since they not of a minority
    > race, only of a lower socio-economic "order," that "chooses" to live in poverty.

    I don't believe I said anything about chosing to live in poverty. Poverty itself does not make a
    person behave like the so-called "trailer trash" behave. For example, in my mother's small town
    in Oklahoma, there is a family who has their entire front yard full of cast-offs of toys, tools,
    clothes, and furniture. Did poverty MAKE them throw trash all over the yard? I don't think so.
    The rest of the places nearby--yes, even families living in "trailers"--do not exhibit this
    behavior. Are you suggesting that poverty forces people to behave in a certain way? Interesting
    take on things.

    > Question: since there seem to be a number of people posting that appear to be somewhat judgemental
    > about the "trailer trash," (of itself and in their use generalizing and making a fairly blanket
    > statement, rather condemnatory), I wonder how many of these people have ever lived in a mobile
    > home park and gotten to know any of those whom they put down and to whom they apparently feel so
    > superior. I have, and I can speak from experience that thepeople living in the mobile home parks
    > are as a whole (just as much a whole as those of other races) a pretty kind and considerate bunch,
    > who in my experience, are very helpful to others, particularly to those who are down and out or
    > have other problems. Of course there are some who have trashy ways and attitudes, just as there
    > are those of other races who have similar attitudes and ways. My point was that ridiculing these
    > with a broad brush is, or should be, as offensive as racial stereotyping. The statement of another
    > poster that no one can change the color of his skin, but he can move out of a "trailer" park is
    > totally unrealistic and shows little or no understanding of these people or their situations.
    > Rather like Marie Antoinette's attitude of "Let them eat cake." They are generally in a situation
    > that doesn't allow that option - usually poverty, often both poverty and ill-health.

    I did not post that someone "could move out of a trailer park." I didn't mention "trailer parks" at
    all. I think you are being offensive by equating poverty with trashy behavior.

    > Indeed, no one has specifically stated that "All people who live in mobile homes are 'trailer
    > trash,'" but it certainly was implied, as you will see if you re-read the postings with an open
    > mind and a sensitive awareness of other's feelings. Therefore the statement that the idea must
    > come from me is based upon faulty logic.

    No, it was NOT implied. This is something you have read into the posts. The problem is in your
    mind. I know people who live in "trailers" who also ridicule people who exhibit trashy behavior
    whether the "trashy people" live in site-built houses or trailers. You have quite a chip on your
    shoulder, there. The other posters were talking about behavior, not trailers in and of themselves.
    Now, you seem to be saying we all should be sensitive to the feelings of people who behave in a
    trashy way. Get real!

    > BTW, I have no idea where most of the posters of this thread dwell, but here in SC, the
    > restrictions and requirements under the laws do not permit any such appliances or junk cars to be
    > on the premises, or even on private property. YMMV in other parts of the country.
    >
    > Alexander Gilchrist

    In small towns such as those in Southeastern Oklahoma, the towns make up their own ordinances. My
    mother's town leaders think everybody should be allowed to live as they wish on their own property.
    About 90% are normal and clean. The others are what everybody refers to as "trashy people."

    Pat in Texas

  19. R.White

    R.White Guest

    Alexander Gilchrist <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Pat wrote:
    > >

    > > It seems to me the difference is that someone does not chose to be a black or Hispanic. If you
    > > are taking exception to some idea that the posters mean ALL people who live in mobile homes are
    > > "trailer trash", I don't believe anyone has said that. Therefore, the idea comes from you,
    > > Alexander, not them. They were talking about people who behave in an unsavory way by choice, and
    > > if that is "social stereotyping", then it merely a comment on some people's way of life, not an
    > > inherent condition of birth. Surely, you can see the difference.
    > >
    > > Pat in Texas
    >
    > Oh, I see. So that makes it OK to ridicule and insult those people since they not of a minority
    > race, only of a lower socio-economic "order," that "chooses" to live in poverty.
    >
    > Question: since there seem to be a number of people posting that appear to be somewhat judgemental
    > about the "trailer trash," (of itself and in their use generalizing and making a fairly blanket
    > statement, rather condemnatory), I wonder how many of these people have ever lived in a mobile
    > home park and gotten to know any of those whom they put down and to whom they apparently feel so
    > superior. I have, and I can speak from experience that thepeople living in the mobile home parks
    > are as a whole (just as much a whole as those of other races) a pretty kind and considerate bunch,
    > who in my experience, are very helpful to others, particularly to those who are down and out or
    > have other problems. Of course there are some who have trashy ways and attitudes, just as there
    > are those of other races who have similar attitudes and ways. My point was that ridiculing these
    > with a broad brush is, or should be, as offensive as racial stereotyping. The statement of another
    > poster that no one can change the color of his skin, but he can move out of a "trailer" park is
    > totally unrealistic and shows little or no understanding of these people or their situations.
    > Rather like Marie Antoinette's attitude of "Let them eat cake." They are generally in a situation
    > that doesn't allow that option - usually poverty, often both poverty and ill-health.

    Well, since I made those statements................

    I lived for 8 years in a 12x40' trailer. 5 of us in our family. We were pretty poor. We didn't have
    junk cars out front. We didn't have major appliances in our yard. We bathed and brushed our teeth.
    We weren't trailer trash, we simply lived in a trailer. However, we were surrounded by trailer
    trash. They didn't have any more money than we did, but they would rather spend it on beer and
    cigarettes. Collect non-running cars. Constantly get their utilities disconnected because they put
    pleasure before responsibilty.

    Trailer trash doesn't encompass all who live in trailers as you seem to take it. It's one thing to
    be poor and deal with the hand you were dealt, it's another to be a lazy, welfare collecting,
    dirtbag. Yup, I have a problem with the latter. This town I live in is full of them. They line up
    every year for the free toy give aways at Christmas. The same people year after year after year.
    Standing in line smoking their cigs and hollering at their unwanted children. Taking their food
    stamps and instead of buying some basic food to stretch things out, they get what's called the
    "welfare lunch special", a hoagie and a 24oz bottle of Mountain Dew. I could go on and on about
    their lifestyles, but you get my point.

    > Indeed, no one has specifically stated that "All people who live in mobile homes are 'trailer
    > trash,'" but it certainly was implied, as you will see if you re-read the postings with an open
    > mind and a sensitive awareness of other's feelings. Therefore the statement that the idea must
    > come from me is based upon faulty logic.

    It's coming from somewhere.

    > BTW, I have no idea where most of the posters of this thread dwell, but here in SC, the
    > restrictions and requirements under the laws do not permit any such appliances or junk cars to be
    > on the premises, or even on private property. YMMV in other parts of the country.

    I'm in central Pa.

    I doubt the junk laws encompass the entire state of SC as most of these laws and the enforcment of
    such laws fall on the local level. As a former truck driver (now there's a stereotype!) I do recall
    places in SC that look the part of trailer trash. The band "Trailer Park Trash" is from Greenville.
    http://www.tptrash.com/ Man, that trashy woman is HOT!

  20. On Tue, 24 Jun 2003 13:35:32 -0400, Alexander Gilchrist <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Oh, I see. So that makes it OK to ridicule and insult those people since they not of a minority
    >race, only of a lower socio-economic "order," that "chooses" to live in poverty.

    Lighten up, Francis!