As a cyclist, what do you do on rainy days?

CJ Smith

Sep 11, 2006
Perhaps a higher authority knew cyclists would need a break from the day-in, day-out grind of RPMs. That could be why he/she created rain clouds... LOL!

Yep (for me at least), rainy days are for fixing punctured tubes, cleaning chains and all other bicycle maintenance and not for complaining about the weather. Sorry, but this doesn't apply to those who either live in an Amazon-like rain forest or Seattle, Washington... (Well, heh heh, unless you have an immense amount of repairs to make… Including tig welding and monocoque frame reconstruction).

So tell us now... What do you do that is cycling related (Sorry, but as a cyclist having sex with your cyclist spouse isn't cycling related) on rainy days during your riding season.

Like you, bicycle maintenance, windtrainer, rollers, or just suck it up and get wet (which leads to more bike maintenance:p ).I actually like working on my bikes as much, if not more, than riding them!

I ride!
Seriously, I have one bike I call my 'bad weather bike' (my Trek 5200) and that's the bike I ride when it's rainy or messy out. (no snow though) There's no reason you can't ride when it's raining, as long as you properly outfit yourself. I have my limits, though. I rode yesterday in the rain, here in CT, no problems, and very little wind. Today I won't go out becuase it's raining AND there are winds with gusts up to 40 mph. I hate wind.

To get back to your question.....if the weather is really bad, I ride the trainer and do any bike maintenance (cleaning, etc.) that's needed.

cheers.
ff

I ride in the rain! It is NEVER as bad outside as it looks from the inside. If it's not cold, consider not trying to stay dry, just accept you will get wet and count on drying off afterwards, leave the waterproofs off. I have to ride in the rain anyway, I commute on my bike. In snow, and even on ice - studded tyres! It hasn't done my bike much good, mind you...

Rest day for recovery. If the rain continues, then it's the stationary bike or running on a treadmill.

I ride. I daily commute so taking a day off isn't really an option (unless I don't want to get paid). I just got clip on fenders so it should make the commute a little better when it's pouring buckets out (at least from flinging road debris everywhere).

I hate riding in the rain. For that matter, I hate walking in the rain, standing in the rain, driving in the rain, or just about any other activity that takes place in the rain.

Sunday, when the brunt of the recent nor'easter hit NYC, my wife & I took the opportunity to drive (arg!) to the LBS, where we proceeded to hang out and pick the sales guys' brains for three solid hours. It was kinda fun. We spent some money, got some good info, kept ourselves entertained, and, based on the fact that only 2 other customers came in during that entire time, clearly made their day as well.

If I did that every time it rained I'd probably go broke though.

More often, rainy days are when I write music, or do housechores.

oh yeah...I'm riding rain or shine...
smile.gif

I don't have many flat riding areas where I live, so riding in the rain presents me with few options. Not having much in the way of rain gear, I'm limited to light rain or drizzle. It's the trainer or something good on TV.

If it isn't cold, I ride. If it is going to rain, I leave quickly, get a few kms into my ride so I can't be soft and go back, and finish the ride. If it is not cold, go hill climbing. You end up getting as wet from humidity of rain weather anyway.

bobbyOCR said:
If it isn't cold, I ride. If it is going to rain, I leave quickly, get a few kms into my ride so I can't be soft and go back, and finish the ride. If it is not cold, go hill climbing. You end up getting as wet from humidity of rain weather anyway.
on rainy days (and it has to be RAINY and WINDY) I sit on my ass and read these forums ;)

Hit the spin bike and lift weights or take a rest day....

or hope that the rain will stop and roads will dry up. In many places I've been, including here in the Anchorage Bowl, it usually rains only part of the day. So many times you get lucky and can ride dry.

When visiting Denmark over Christmas, you ride. If you're lucky and it's not snowing and icing, it will be rainy and windy. You ride and spend the required time cleaning off the bike upon return.
:)

I usually ride.
We get a lot of rain at certain times of the year so there is no option otherwise fitness is lost(my rollers, trainer to boring, helps me maintain my fitness only) and the rainy time is winter when its our road season(stupid I know:eek: ).

I have a rainbike and all the gear.

I'm less likely to ride if its raining and very windy though.
Then its rollers or a good book.

astroluc said:
on rainy days (and it has to be RAINY and WINDY) I sit on my ass and read these forums ;)
The last windy and rainy day we had, I went and rode 120km for a bit of fun. My brake pads and surface lost a bit of life. My Poggios are wet, my saddle has a chunk missing from the side and it was awesome.

Brake Pads ? Everyone knows ya take ya brake pads out on a rainy day. Noth'n gets the 'ol pooper valve working better than quick ride on a rainy day without pads.

My season is 1st Jan thru 31st Dec. Last winter I wore long sleeve jersey, but this winter I'm more prepared with leggings and overboots.

Most rainy days I ride, but not always, depends on my mood.