As many already posted, new to biking, have some questions

kingdomseed

May 13, 2010
Hi there everyone,
This is the first bike forum that I have signed-up for. Before this point I have been using primary Yahoo Answers, my own googling and my LBS for fielding questions and looking around. I have read a lot of what has been said on these forums about BikesDirect.com and feel confident enough to purchase something from them I think. This will be the first bike that I have purchased and I am looking in the less than 400 dollar range. I have been told again and again that I can't get a good bike and I should just spend 1500 dollars and be done with it but the reality of the matter is that I don't have 1500 dollars to spend on a bike. So here I am. Anyhow, I have a couple of bikes I am looking at on the BikesDirect website and I am open to any comments, opinions, other options, ideas and experience you all have. I have been researching this bike stuff for about 3 weeks and while I have barely scratched the surface of this 'world' if you will, I feel like I have some kind of foundation. Anyways, here are the bikes I am looking at:

Save up to 60% off new Road Bikes - Gravity Avenue C | Save up to 60% off new road bikes

Save up to 60% off new Road Bikes - Gravity Avenue B | Save up to 60% off new road bikes

Road Bikes - 2010 Windsor Wellington1

One thing I think I really want is the STi (although maybe not that brand) on whatever bike I get. Anyways, to me it seems like both Gravity's are better than the wellington but I will let you all tell me. Thanks in advance for all of your help.

i don't know where you live but you can get a trek 1.1 for around $550 out the door.since this is your first bike i would really recommend you buying from a local bike shop. The single most important thing is getting fitted for a bike. If you have any problems you can take it back to the bike shop most bike shops offer free tune ups. If money is tight i would look at the fuji newest.don't go by the price online you can get a better price at the store. You don't need to spend over 1,000 on a bike to get a good one. If you buy the bike from direct you need to add about $45 to get your bike build by a pro shop and the every time you get a tune up its going to cost you over $25 a visit.

Double your budget and get the entry level road bike from any of the major manufacturers. Try looking at a new 2008 or 2009 model. They will come with STI shifters (16 or 18 speeds). You will be MUCH happier with your choice a year from now versus buying (pardon me for being blunt) the junk choices you listed. You spend $400 now, and you will be desperately begging for upgrades in less than a month.

FWIW, my first road bike in 2006 was a Specialized Allez Triple (24 speeds) and it cost $760. If I wasn't so competitive by nature, that bike could've lasted me a couple years at least...In the end, it's your choice and be happy with whatever you get - then just go out and ride...

Yes, I have checked out Craigslist but it was pretty limited and I am already not that sure of what I need to look for and what I need to avoid. It is a lot of hassle and time driving from place to place (especially in the DFW, TX area) because everything is so spread out. There is not a lot of options here in Arlington TX. There is a good bike shop but the cheapest road bike they had started at 650 on clearance. Very nice and very helpful people but that is to far out of my price range. I am going to see about moving my budget up to 450 however. I have already been fitted and it seems like I am a 52-54cm (I'm 5'10"). Someone mentioned doubling my budget but that is simply impossible for me. I was looking at another website called Road Bike Outlet when I came across this bike:
Buy Road Bikes Gavin NOUVO Aluminum/Carbon Road Racing Bike Wholesale Prices Triathlon Tri Bikes, Fixies Fixed Gear Bikes
It has a carbon fork which I hear is really nice... Anyone heard anything on these guys?

I also saw a fuji newest 2009 on Performance Bikes:

2009 Fuji Newest 3.0 Road Bike - Road Bikes

How do these two compare in y'alls opinion? Thanks again for all of your help.

cant go wrong with the fuji and performance bike gives you lifetime tune ups sounds like a good deal. sign up to be a performance bike member and you get back 10%.

BTW. Regardless of which bike you choose, a 52cm frame will probably be too small for you (there are always exceptions) ... you'll probably want the 54cm frame OR a frame whose top tube (real or virtual) is between 55cm & 56cm.

Well, this has all been very educational. Thank you all so much for the help. I think I will go with the Fuji medium/large (since it is the only one they have left and I think medium/large is my size, although there sizing chart is useless to me. I was medium/large on another website.) I'll let you guys know how it goes! Thanks again.

So Kingdom seed . . . I'm in the same situation, looking for a 53cm bike on a tight budget. What did you decide on? I checked out the Fuji's and Treks on ebay and craigslist and nothing. Any help? Anyone?