ASA and H*****ts

"Martin Dann" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> burtthebike wrote:
>>
>> "Paul Boyd" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>> On 24/04/2008 18:03, burtthebike said,

>>> I've just had a look at the plan.

> I can't find that plan anywhere, is there a link to it?

Martin, link above goes straight to it?!

>> Thanks for pointing out the cycle lane crossing the bus lane, I'd missed
>> that with all the other complete rubbish they have planned.

> The West of England Partnership are involved (read First group and some
> local councils). This are the same group of morons who want to put a
> guided bus route down the B2B railway path.

Yeah, I know, my heart sank when I found out their involvement as well.

>> You may be right, I think their only option is to plead insanity. You
>> didn't mention the best bit about the ASL, that they plan a nice dropped
>> kerb from the shared use pavement so that you can ride straight out in
>> front of the traffic just as the lights change.

> Have you ever cycled along the Ring Road "cycle path", there are several
> examples which I presume are similar to this. e.g. The crossing of the M32
> exit slip road, which is light controlled for the road, but nothing for
> the users of the "cycle path". If the lights change there whilst your are
> crossing, you could be mixing with some very fast cars. (And there a is
> very poor line of sight up the slip road.

I've never used that particular junction on a bike, but it's familiar to me
through the actions of Andy Short, who has been campaigning with SGlos about
it for many years, and I mean years.

burtthebike <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Paul Boyd" <usenet.is.worse@plusnet> wrote in message
> > burtthebike said the following on 23/04/2008 17:46:
> >
> >> Wow!! I must turn off my pop up blocker or whatever is stopping me
> >> getting the adverts!

> > They're not pop-ups - those are all blocked. These are just hyperlinks
> > underneath the picture. What you ought to do is to not post pictures on
> > sites that have that sort of advertising! Maybe you don't see them
> > because it's you that has the account with imagevenue. Those without
> > accounts see the advertising.
> >

> Well, I certainly don't have an account with imagevenue. I just asked
> around work for a free image hosting website. Apologies if anyone was
> offended.

flicker etc are probably best, or just on your ISP's site or other such,
places.

roger
--
www.rogermerriman.com

On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 18:03:44 +0100, "burtthebike"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>"Mark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 07:24:58 +0100, "burtthebike"
>> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>>
>>>Thanks for the advice Guy, I'll act on it as soon as I've finished my
>>>response to SGlos's latest attempt to drive cyclists off the road.

>> What are they doing now?

>The Aztec West roundabout, which is a major deterent to anyone cycling north
>out of Bristol, and there are no viable alternative routes. They're doing
>some improvements for the bus routes, the Greater Bristol Bus Network, and
>all schemes under this heading are supposed to improve life for cyclists and
>peds. If anyone can tell me how adding an extra lane to a three-lane
>roundabout and extra lanes on the approaches, not to mention a complete
>death trap of an ASL, I'd be grateful. This scheme goes against everything
>in the Joint Local Transport Plan.

Unfortunately this is all too familiar a tale. I do wonder if the
designers of these schemes even know what a bicycle is, let alone
having ever ridden one.

Good luck with your campaign. Have you tried the local press or MP,
who may pretend they are concerned about cycling and help a little?

--
(\__/) M.
(")_(") I am blocking most articles posted from there.

burtthebike writtificated

> It's a bit sensitive, as SGlos are part of the Bristol application for
> Cycle City funding,

My take is that the money should go somewhere where they aren't going to
spend it on expensive, rubbish and unwanted 'farcilities'.

It'll be interesting to see if councils sit up and take notice if cyclists
start opposing bids for Cycle City funding if they don't meet recommended
guidelines (narrow cycle lanes etc).

On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 17:29:37 +0100, "burtthebike"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>"Mark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 18:03:44 +0100, "burtthebike"
>> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>

>>>The Aztec West roundabout, which is a major deterent to anyone cycling
>>>north
>>>out of Bristol, and there are no viable alternative routes. They're doing
>>>some improvements for the bus routes, the Greater Bristol Bus Network, and
>>>all schemes under this heading are supposed to improve life for cyclists
>>>and
>>>peds. If anyone can tell me how adding an extra lane to a three-lane
>>>roundabout and extra lanes on the approaches, not to mention a complete
>>>death trap of an ASL, I'd be grateful. This scheme goes against
>>>everything
>>>in the Joint Local Transport Plan.

>> Unfortunately this is all too familiar a tale. I do wonder if the
>> designers of these schemes even know what a bicycle is, let alone
>> having ever ridden one.
>>
>> Good luck with your campaign. Have you tried the local press or MP,
>> who may pretend they are concerned about cycling and help a little?

>It's a bit sensitive, as SGlos are part of the Bristol application for Cycle
>City funding, and I don't want to rock the boat too much, but I've certainly
>made them aware that local cyclists may not support that application unless
>they start getting their act together. Is eleven years long enough to wait
>for them to start carrying out their policies?

Without knowing a lot about the situation my gut feeling that it would
be just the time to "rock the boat". If they are applying for funding
they must just *have* to listen.

--
(\__/) M.
(")_(") I am blocking most articles posted from there.

"burtthebike" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>I seem to remember that BHIT were taken to the ASA for claiming that
>helmets were 88% effective at preventing death/injury, but I can't find
>anything on their website.
>
> The reason is that I've just come back from my local Halfrods and they had
> a sign next to the helmets saying the same thing, and claiming the BMA as
> the source. Anyone know if this is covered by ASA rules?

Despite Guy's wise advice to just write to Halfrods, I've just submitted a
formal complaint to ASA. There is so much of these lying claims about that
I think we need a definitive ruling on this, and the BHIT one doesn't appear
to be that.

burtthebike writtificated

> Despite Guy's wise advice to just write to Halfrods, I've just
> submitted a formal complaint to ASA. There is so much of these lying
> claims about that I think we need a definitive ruling on this, and the
> BHIT one doesn't appear to be that.

Sounds like a good idea. What was the wording of your complaint, and how
did you go about it?

"Mark T"
<pleasegivegenerously@warmail*turn_up_the_heat_to_reply*.com.invalid> wrote
in message news:[email protected]...
> burtthebike writtificated
>
>> Despite Guy's wise advice to just write to Halfrods, I've just
>> submitted a formal complaint to ASA. There is so much of these lying
>> claims about that I think we need a definitive ruling on this, and the
>> BHIT one doesn't appear to be that.

> Sounds like a good idea. What was the wording of your complaint, and how
> did you go about it?

All done on line, complete with attached pix from Halfrods.

The wording was generally that these figures were not true, and that no
manufacturers claimed any such thing. They will be sending me a
confirmation email and I hope that will include my exact words - probably I
should have saved them before sending.

"burtthebike" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "burtthebike" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>I seem to remember that BHIT were taken to the ASA for claiming that
>>helmets were 88% effective at preventing death/injury, but I can't find
>>anything on their website.
>>
>> The reason is that I've just come back from my local Halfrods and they
>> had a sign next to the helmets saying the same thing, and claiming the
>> BMA as the source. Anyone know if this is covered by ASA rules?

> Despite Guy's wise advice to just write to Halfrods, I've just submitted a
> formal complaint to ASA. There is so much of these lying claims about
> that I think we need a definitive ruling on this, and the BHIT one doesn't
> appear to be that.

Well, I've just had a letter from ASA, and point of sale advertising isn't
covered by their rules! They don't explain why it isn't, but it's there
there, buried in their blurb on the website, p-o-s advertising isn't
covered.

They suggest taking it to SGlos Trading Standards. Kafka is alive and well.

I'll try Guy's advice and write to halfrods.