ashes

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Gary Smiley

Today I picked up my deceased sister's cremated remains. I showed up at the funeral parlor on a
bike, wearing cycling clothing. The people there were so somber- I don't think they ever released
remains to a cyclist before. They looked at me strangely. They wanted to know how I would carry the
small box on a bike, but I explained that I had panniers. I rode off, thinking that I should be part
of some kind of procession with lights on. So I made the trip slowly, carefully, and respectfully.
Hopefully I'll never have to do this again.

>I rode off, thinking that I should be part of some kind of procession with lights on. So I made the
>trip slowly, carefully, and respectfully. Hopefully I'll never have to do this again.

How many sisters do you have. It's not a fashion faux pas so put your mind at ease, I think you have
all of it together.

Sorry to hear of your loss, I know from personal experience that it can be devastating.

Take it carefully, you'll come to terms with it in time.

Again, my best regards and heartfelt sympathy.

--

_______________________ALL AMIGA IN MY MIND_______________________ ------------------"Buddy Holly,
the Texas Elvis"------------------
__________306.350.357.38>>[email protected]__________

Gary Smiley <[email protected]> wrote:
> Today I picked up my deceased sister's cremated remains. I showed up at the funeral parlor
> on a bike

My sympathy at your loss. But may I say, in all seriousness, that I applaud your way of picking
up the ashes. If your sister loved cycling as you obviously do, I'm sure her spirit was delighted
with it. I wouldn't mind making my own final ride that way. Clean, quiet, earth-friendly, what
better way could there be?

Bill
-----------------------------------------------------------------
| Nonspammers please remove the "z" from address above to reply. |
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Gary Smiley wrote:
> Today I picked up my deceased sister's cremated remains. I showed up at the funeral parlor on a
> bike, wearing cycling clothing. The people there were so somber- I don't think they ever released
> remains to a cyclist before. They looked at me strangely. They wanted to know how I would carry
> the small box on a bike, but I explained that I had panniers. I rode off, thinking that I should
> be part of some kind of procession with lights on. So I made the trip slowly, carefully, and
> respectfully. Hopefully I'll never have to do this again.

Sounds like you can appreciate the humor in an otherwise very sad experience. Best wishes to you and
your family.

Bill "could put together an entirely black cycling outfit, but why?" S.

> Today I picked up my deceased sister's cremated remains. I showed up at
the
> funeral parlor on a bike, wearing cycling clothing. The people there were
so
> somber- I don't think they ever released remains to a cyclist before. They looked at me strangely.
> They wanted to know how I would carry the small
box
> on a bike, but I explained that I had panniers. I rode off, thinking that
I
> should be part of some kind of procession with lights on. So I made the
trip
> slowly, carefully, and respectfully. Hopefully I'll never have to do this again.

You live a good chunk of your life, going to school, maybe church, discussing the meaning of life
with your close friends etc. But nobody ever gives you lessons ahead of time in how to deal with the
loss of close friends & relatives.

I remember very clearly the one time that riding a bicycle didn't clear my mind or make me feel
better. It was after learning from my father's doctor that he didn't have long to live. Right now,
in my mind, I am at that point in the ride where I'm heading down Alpine Road (in Portola Valley)
towards Rosattis, feeling totally helpless and fighting back tears. 16 years ago. Some things fade
with time, some things stay with us forever.

Take care, and don't worry about having to look or feel a certain way. Those things are temporary;
your feelings regarding your sister are forever yours and nobody else's.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles www.ChainReaction.com

"Gary Smiley" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:gguZb.24685$Xp.103077@attbi_s54...
> Today I picked up my deceased sister's cremated remains. I showed up at
the
> funeral parlor on a bike, wearing cycling clothing. The people there were
so
> somber- I don't think they ever released remains to a cyclist before. They looked at me strangely.
> They wanted to know how I would carry the small
box
> on a bike, but I explained that I had panniers. I rode off, thinking that
I
> should be part of some kind of procession with lights on. So I made the
trip
> slowly, carefully, and respectfully. Hopefully I'll never have to do this again.

Gary Smiley wrote -

> So I made the trip slowly, carefully, and respectfully. Hopefully I'll
never have to do this
> again.
>

Slightly off thread but two of my club mates got married last weekend at dawn at a place on
their favourite ride and all their non cycling friends and relatives felt out of place amongst
all that lycra.

The rode off on their honeymoon with a side by side hug - going to the reception in a car would just
not have been the same.

Take time and think a lot about the times you knew together.

best, Andrew

"But riding is my special gift, my chiefest, sole delight; Just ask a wild duck can it swim, a
wildcat can it fight... I'll ride this here two-wheeled concern, right straight away, at sight." A B
‘Banjo’ Patterson - "Mulga Bill" 25 July 1896.

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 20:58:04 GMT, "S o r n i" <[email protected]> wrote:

>
> Bill "could put together an entirely black cycling outfit, but why?" S.

I could, too. I'd have to replace the helmet with my trilby, which is not black as much as it's
really dark charcoal grey.

And clip the trousers of my suit in such a way that I can ride without worrying about soiling them
on the chain.

-Luigi One need not be a "cyclist" all the time.

Mike Jacoubowsky/Chain Reaction Bicycles wrote:

> I remember very clearly the one time that riding a bicycle didn't clear my mind or make me feel
> better. It was after learning from my father's doctor that he didn't have long to live. Right now,
> in my mind, I am at that point in the ride where I'm heading down Alpine Road (in Portola Valley)
> towards Rosattis, feeling totally helpless and fighting back tears. 16 years ago. Some things fade
> with time, some things stay with us forever.

On September 11, 2001, after maybe 6-8 hours of the TV coverage, I drove out to Santee (San
Diego) and went for a mountain bike ride. No joy; no fun; just numbness while following a very
familiar route.

Saw one other rider out there; we just sort of nodded to each other, knowing that life had
forever changed.

Driving home, I was shocked to see a plane extremely low in the sky; realized later it was a
commercial transport, probably given special permission to relocate from wherever it had been forced
to put down.

Bill "wish I'd been a rider in '95 when my mother passed away (not that it would've helped)" S.

Sympathy for your loss.

Perhaps her spirit was enjoying the last ride with her brother! What better tribute.

take care Liz

Hey! Look what "Gary Smiley" <[email protected]> wrote :

>Today I picked up my deceased sister's cremated remains. I showed up at the funeral parlor on a
>bike, wearing cycling clothing. The people there were so somber- I don't think they ever released
>remains to a cyclist before. They looked at me strangely. They wanted to know how I would carry the
>small box on a bike, but I explained that I had panniers. I rode off, thinking that I should be
>part of some kind of procession with lights on. So I made the trip slowly, carefully, and
>respectfully. Hopefully I'll never have to do this again.

Status
Not open for further replies.