Ask and ye shall recieve!

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Karen M., May 9, 2004.

  1. Karen M.

    Karen M. Guest

    Hiya folks--
    Last week it was determined that my taller niece needs a bigger
    bike. She's been riding a 24" wheel Raleigh (found at a thrift for
    less than $3) for quite a few years.
    I sent a note to all my correspondents in my locale asking for
    leads, and specified mountain bike, 26" wheels, teenager-friendly
    color/styling. And of course no *.Mart marques.
    This morning I was at a buddy's house some distance away, and we
    had already discussed the bulk trash pick-up scheduled for tomorrow.
    She looked out the window and said, "my neighbors are putting bikes
    out in their trash."
    Not one, but TWO Nishiki ATBs. Girls bikes. (Nieces' neighbors have
    had bike thefts, so a non-popular style is a plus.) Niece-friendly
    colors (one is purple). 26" wheels. Creative maintenance but nothing I
    can't solve with a few parts.
    And was the price ever right!!! :)
    --Karen M.

    Tags:

  2. Tom Keats

    Tom Keats Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] (Karen M.) writes:

    > This morning I was at a buddy's house some distance away, and we
    > had already discussed the bulk trash pick-up scheduled for tomorrow.
    > She looked out the window and said, "my neighbors are putting bikes
    > out in their trash."
    > Not one, but TWO Nishiki ATBs. Girls bikes. (Nieces' neighbors have
    > had bike thefts, so a non-popular style is a plus.) Niece-friendly
    > colors (one is purple). 26" wheels. Creative maintenance but nothing I
    > can't solve with a few parts.
    > And was the price ever right!!! :)

    That's pretty much how it works for me, too. Since there were
    two bikes, if you fix them both up and pass one along in a random
    act of kindness to someone who needs a bike, maybe you'll keep the
    supply coming. I think that's part of the covenant. I also believe
    it helps to be thankful that you get bikes instead of multitudes
    of stray cats. That's my religious take on it, anyways.

    cheers,
    Tom