Ask for some ideal about tubular wheels and clincher wheels

Jessie Liu

Aug 26, 2013
Hi, guys,would you mind tell me the tubular wheels and clincher wheels? It's best more detail about it
wink.png

Clincher wheels are similar to car wheels, except that clincher wheels have a pronounced hook on either side of the rim to hold the tire in place. Clincher tires require the use of inner tubes. Similar to clincher tires are tubeless tires, but tubeless tires do not require the use of an inner tube. Tubular wheels have no hooks on the rim like clincher wheels or tubeless rims. Instead, the tubular tire is either glued to the rim or held in place with double sided tape. the tubular tire is a tire that has an inner tube sewn inside of it. See the images below. Clincher wheel with a tire and inner tube in place:
220px-Sezione_cerchione_bicicletta.svg.png
Tubeless tire and rim:
tubeless_tire_feature_13_f.jpg
Tubular tire and rim:
tubular-tire-cross-section.jpg
zipp-303-tubular-wheel-center-channel.jpg
Which is better? There's no specific answer to that. Asking usually results in something like a religious debate.

clinchers makes your life easier, inner tubes are inexpensive and easy to change and to repair, ok professional cyclists use tubulars, but they don't have to pay for them, they are supplied by sponsors, and they don't have to fix flats themselves, they have mechanics to do that, p.s. to fix a flat on a tubular you need a special needle, a special thread, wax, glue and someone to teach you along the process

vspa said:
p.s. to fix a flat on a tubular you need a special needle, a special thread, wax, glue and someone to teach you along the process
There are quite a few thread types that will work, and you can get by without the wax. A thimble does help, though. The most important things needed, however, are a pile of tubulars needing repair, a good video or two to watch, a rainy or wintery day, and beer. Lots of beer. I do wonder if the market share for tubular wheels has kept declining or leveled off. I don't know if clincher use in the pro peloton (ProTour, Continental, or whatever) will increase much, but I can see the pros making the leap from tubulars to tubeless wheels, especially as we're starting to see carbon aero tubeless wheels (Easton and Corima/Hutchinson). I think in the next year or two we'll see other CF aero wheels from maybe Zipp, Enve, Reynolds, and others. Composite wheel tech is advancing pretty quickly so I think questions about thermal effects on CF tubeless (and clincher) wheels will start to go away. Tire tech is advancing, too, so I think we'll also see further reduction in tubeless tire Crr. No matter what, I think the market is going to get a lot more crowded with CF tubeless and clincher wheel offerings.

i forgot youtube, there you can find how to video's, tubeless tyres installation is hard, i would prefer the flat-repair (on a tubular) task than installing a tubeless, although it will take you longer, as alienator put it is a good project for an off-day where you get to be at home,