Ask Lim:

slovakguy

Mar 17, 2006
as you are much closer to the action than i am (and anyone can field this question as far as i am concerned), can you explain what civil penalties are involved if a rider is popped in the tdf for doping? take moreni who ****** hot and the surete then find a testosterone cream in his room along with his other equipment. is he subject to monetary fines only, jail time as though they were narco-trafficers, or some combination of both? and how have other host countries (italy, germany, spain, e.g.) taken action on this issue?

As far as I know, Slov - under French criminal law any rider found guilty of doping can be subject to a fine and/or prison sentence.

I am not sure what latitude a judge has in sentencing a rider found guilty.
Is there a proscribed method of sentencing ie.are there pre-defined rates of fines and jail terms?
Perhaps Poulidor might be able to offer more insight.

I don't know what the situation is in Germany or Spain with regard to doping and whether it is treated as a criminal offence.
Sorry.

slovakguy said:
can you explain what civil penalties are involved if a rider is popped in the tdf for doping?
Ben Berden is taking it up the ass in Belgium. He ironically fessed up to the EPO when he failed a test a couple of years ago, but is still being forced to pay over 60,000 euros for the case. I assume these expenses (paying experts, the cost of tests, private investigations) were to prepare for the case. I think he could have served jail time too, but didn't get this as a penalty.

limerickman said:
I don't know what the situation is in Germany or Spain with regard to doping and whether it is treated as a criminal offence.
Sorry.
Spain seems to have a lax attitude towards this stuff. Which would explain the American exodus from Nice to Girona.

Frigo's Luggage said:
Spain seems to have a lax attitude towards this stuff. Which would explain the American exodus from Nice to Girona.
Well that has changed with the new anti-doping law this year. They could all move to the Netherlands...:D

The Belgian national championships in bodybuilding are also held in the Netherlands:D

Or Italy, or Switzerland, or Belgium, or Austria, or Norway, or Monte Carlo.

Nothing has changed. Doping is still essential to build all cycling heroes.

cyclingheroes said:
Well that has changed with the new anti-doping law this year. They could all move to the Netherlands...:D

The Belgian national championships in bodybuilding are also held in the Netherlands:D

thanks to all for providing a perspective unavailable in the u.s.a. seems that the all the video of tdf arrests & searchs are a well choreographed dog and pony show.