ASO still refusing to admit Astana in TDF

On Jun 5, 7:12 am, Kyle Legate <[email protected]> wrote:
> dave a wrote:
>
> > On the other hand, I suspect that one of the top stories during the TdF
> > will be the exclusion of Astana. That's still exposure.

> Astana doesn't sell anything. Exposure is meaningless.

What about for making benefit glorious nation of Kazakhstan?

Jeff

On Jun 5, 1:51 pm, Bill C <[email protected]> wrote:
> ...The grief caused to ASO
> by Astana is huge ...

Huger than the grief caused by Rabobank, T-Mobile and Cofidis,
individually or combined?

Actually Bruyneel has the option of keeping the riders he wanted.

On Jun 5, 11:38 am, [email protected] (Booker Bense) wrote:
> ASO wants control of the money and no doping scandals to dry up
> the money.
>
> _ Booker C. Bense

More accurate is that ASO has control of the money, UCI wants control
of the money, ASO and the other organizers are not going to let them
steal it. The whole point of excluding Unibet and now Astana iss to
show the UCI that they have no real power and can not unilaterally
proceed with their ProTour idea.

hizark21 wrote:
> Actually Bruyneel has the option of keeping the riders he wanted.
>
> Bob Schwartz wrote:
>> hizark21 wrote:
>>> Yes, but Astana has gotten rid of all the old management and most of
>>> 07's riders. Like I said before the ASO should have told Astana that
>>> they have to resolve certain issues if they want to enter to the
>>> TDF.

>> Of the 30 riders on their roster, 17 were there last year.
>> Most of last year's riders are still there. Which is to be
>> expected I suppose, since most if not all of the holdovers
>> would have multi-year contracts.
>>
>> Bob Schwartz

Very well. Then the team is mostly the same as last year,
adding a few select riders such as Levi (Ferrari) Leipheimer
and Alberto (Puerto) Contador.

So why are you making the case that Astana hasn't earned this
by pissing in the soup more than once?

Aren't you the guy that wants the death penalty for first
time dopers? ASO is taking a hard line. You should be cheering
this.

Bob Schwartz

On Jun 5, 6:56 pm, Bob Schwartz <[email protected]>
wrote:
> hizark21 wrote:
> > Actually Bruyneel has the option of keeping the riders he wanted.

> > Bob Schwartz wrote:
> >> Of the 30 riders on their roster, 17 were there last year.
> >> Most of last year's riders are still there. Which is to be
> >> expected I suppose, since most if not all of the holdovers
> >> would have multi-year contracts.

> >> Bob Schwartz

> Very well. Then the team is mostly the same as last year,
> adding a few select riders such as Levi (Ferrari) Leipheimer
> and Alberto (Puerto) Contador.
>
> So why are you making the case that Astana hasn't earned this
> by pissing in the soup more than once?
>
> Aren't you the guy that wants the death penalty for first
> time dopers? ASO is taking a hard line. You should be cheering
> this.

To be clear, I don't have a problem with the Tour
excluding Astana, who have a Phonak-like smell.
But can someone explain to me the second incident of
pissing in the Tour's soup? Vino, obviously. Is
Kashechkin the second? That happened outside
and after the Tour. It's bad, but it seems an offense
against cycling as a whole and not the Tour
specifically. Or is it something to do with Puerto,
Contador, or a hangover from Liberty Seguros?

Again, I don't have a major problem with their exclusion,
although I also don't think excluding teams is ever going
to be done objectively. Some teams will get breaks
(Rabobank, Cofidis) for one reason or another. I just want
to make sure I didn't miss any soup-pissing incidents.

Ben

Bob Schwartz wrote:
> hizark21 wrote:
> > Actually Bruyneel has the option of keeping the riders he wanted.
> >
> > Bob Schwartz wrote:
> >> Of the 30 riders on their roster, 17 were there last year.
> >> Most of last year's riders are still there. Which is to be
> >> expected I suppose, since most if not all of the holdovers
> >> would have multi-year contracts.
> >>
> >> Bob Schwartz

> Very well. Then the team is mostly the same as last year,
> adding a few select riders such as Levi (Ferrari) Leipheimer
> and Alberto (Puerto) Contador.

Yes, but none of the current riders on the Astana team have tested
positive. There is a big difference between testing positive as
opposed to guilt by association. That said it would be interesting to
find out how much the Basso hurt the teams chances of being in the
tdf. As I stated earlier, hiring Basso was a mistake and hurt the
teams reputation.

On Jun 5, 1:15 pm, Jeff Jones <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Jun 5, 7:12 am, Kyle Legate <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > dave a wrote:

> > > On the other hand, I suspect that one of the top stories during the TdF
> > > will be the exclusion of Astana. That's still exposure.

> > Astana doesn't sell anything. Exposure is meaningless.

> What about for making benefit glorious nation of Kazakhstan?
>
> Jeff

KaCHIING!
-Paul

Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com wrote:

> This is only indirectly about being clean or not. ASO has a real
> problem with Bruyneel and Contador still has a cloud over him. I think
> it's ASO's distaste for Bruyneel primarily. If Bruyneel wasn't the
> director, I'll bet Astana would have been invited.

[citation required]

hizark21 wrote:
> As I stated earlier, hiring Basso was a mistake and hurt the teams
> reputation.

Astana hired Basso ? Have I missed something ?

Can I hire Basso's sister ?

On Jun 6, 12:55 am, Kyle Legate <[email protected]> wrote:
> Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.comwrote:
>
> > This is only indirectly about being clean or not. ASO has a real
> > problem with Bruyneel and Contador still has a cloud over him. I think
> > it's ASO's distaste for Bruyneel primarily. If Bruyneel wasn't the
> > director, I'll bet Astana would have been invited.

> [citation required]

Egad! Wikipedia humor.

On Jun 5, 10:15 pm, hizark21 <[email protected]> wrote:
> Bob Schwartz wrote:
> > hizark21 wrote:
> > > Actually Bruyneel has the option of keeping the riders he wanted.

> > Very well. Then the team is mostly the same as last year,
> > adding a few select riders such as Levi (Ferrari) Leipheimer
> > and Alberto (Puerto) Contador.

> Yes, but none of the current riders on the Astana team have tested
> positive. There is a big difference between testing positive as
> opposed to guilt by association. That said it would be interesting to
> find out how much the Basso hurt the teams chances of being in the
> tdf. As I stated earlier, hiring Basso was a mistake and hurt the
> teams reputation.

Neither did Rasmussen.

[email protected] wrote:
> To be clear, I don't have a problem with the Tour
> excluding Astana, who have a Phonak-like smell.
> But can someone explain to me the second incident of
> pissing in the Tour's soup? Vino, obviously. Is
> Kashechkin the second? That happened outside
> and after the Tour. It's bad, but it seems an offense
> against cycling as a whole and not the Tour
> specifically. Or is it something to do with Puerto,
> Contador, or a hangover from Liberty Seguros?
>
> Again, I don't have a major problem with their exclusion,
> although I also don't think excluding teams is ever going
> to be done objectively. Some teams will get breaks
> (Rabobank, Cofidis) for one reason or another. I just want
> to make sure I didn't miss any soup-pissing incidents.

Can't tell the players without a scorecard.

Vino didn't get to ride the 2006 Tour because he had
too many teammates implicated in the then-breaking
Puerto scandal. Liberty Seguros then pulled their
sponsorship because the team had previously ****** in
the Vuelta's soup with Roberto Heras. Flandis was the
second grand tour winner to lose in the lab, Roberto
was the first.

Oh yeah, Contador was on Liberty Seguros. Too young at
the time to be doing grand tours though.

At any rate, Astana took over the sponsorship, they
changed management and riders, and then they ****** in
the soup again.

They did the right thing in response. They changed
management and riders. But most importantly, they hired
some American riders. As every rbr reader knows, if you
want to be seen as taking a hard line against dope you
hire American riders because they're all clean. Shame
ASO didn't cut them any slack for that, now Chris Horner
and Levi can't ride the Tour. It's all so unfair.

Maybe they'll ride at Superweek instead. Only Fuentes
dopes there. Other than him it's as clean as the Giro.

Bob Schwartz

Phonak changed their ways a few times.. every time the facts told
against them. When Flandy signed phonak I made a bet with my brother
he would be caught. I was right.

Last year most of us knew Astana was fishy (Puerto-Liberty Seguros).
hey got caught big time.

Now Bruyneel enters Astana, with a cloudy participant. Half the team
still seems to be there. It is sponsored by a governement, who
expressed their full support for Vino and Kascheskin.

Are people in their right minds REALLY saying Aso is in the wrong
here?????

A year suspension is mild imho.... it feels like Phonak all over
again.

On Fri, 6 Jun 2008 14:32:49 -0700 (PDT), [email protected] wrote:

>When Flandy signed phonak I made a bet with my brother
>he would be caught. I was right.

What's the next team to have a major drugs scandal?

"Jeff Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Jun 5, 7:12 am, Kyle Legate <[email protected]> wrote:
>> dave a wrote:
>>
>> > On the other hand, I suspect that one of the top stories during the TdF
>> > will be the exclusion of Astana. That's still exposure.

>> Astana doesn't sell anything. Exposure is meaningless.

> What about for making benefit glorious nation of Kazakhstan?

Because regardless Kazakhstan is still glorious?

"Bill C" <[email protected]> wrote in message
On Jun 5, 11:57 am, hizark21 <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Yes, but Astana has gotten rid of all the old management and most of
> > 07's riders. Like I said before the ASO should have told Astana that
> > they have to resolve certain issues if they want to enter to the
> >

> They have. They told them "Prove it by staying clean for a year."

Think about that statement Bill. Firstly the team has very little control
over what riders do and since riders become millionaires if they succeed
they can afford to hire the best and to take chances. The past problems were
the lower tier riders were using lower tier doctors who didn't know how to
design the doping regime to clear the testings.

Now the testing protocols are getting so sensitive that most doping won't
work. That won't stop doping of course but it can limit it which is the best
we can hope to do.

I am not necessarily opposed to ASO's decision to decide what teams
are in their races. If ASO decides to become a private series of races
then they need to come up with a uniform standard method for allowing
teams or excluding them. ASO also needs to publish their procedures
for choosing teams as well.

On Jun 6, 8:42 pm, "Tom Kunich" <cyclintom@yahoo. com> wrote:
> "Bill C" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> On Jun 5, 11:57 am, hizark21 <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > > Yes, but Astana has gotten rid of all the old management and most of
> > > 07's riders. Like I said before the ASO should have told Astana that
> > > they have to resolve certain issues if they want to enter to the

> > They have. They told them "Prove it by staying clean for a year."

> Think about that statement Bill. Firstly the team has very little control
> over what riders do and since riders become millionaires if they succeed
> they can afford to hire the best and to take chances. The past problems were
> the lower tier riders were using lower tier doctors who didn't know how to
> design the doping regime to clear the testings.
>
> Now the testing protocols are getting so sensitive that most doping won't
> work. That won't stop doping of course but it can limit it which is the best
> we can hope to do.

I'm not willing to give the teams a free pass. There's way too much
evidence that they've known what was going on, or organized it, for
way too many of them.
Now we are back to the quality of the dopingbusts/testing. I was
going to say that the teams need to be allowed/encouraged to recover
money for the damage done, from the rider, for when a rider gets
busted, but with the way Wada, and the UCI hacve conducted themselves
in the past this is a problem too. When the folks running the system
are at least as questionable as the criminals, or supposed criminals,
what the hell do you do.
In a perfect world they'd dump most of the leadership, clean up the
system, open up the system, and start over, but that ain't gonna
happen anytime soon.
In a lot of ways this is like the NBA defending Tim Donaghy, before
he started talking his head off. They said "there's NO way he could
have affected any games because we review all the ref's performances,
in every game, and he's one of our very best!". Well, he says he was
dirty, and so are others, but noone is allowed to see what the system
is, or how it works, and anyone questioning the mighty leadership/
system is given draconian penalties.
They're dirty as ****, but rather than clean the mess up, and give up
power, they'll kill the game, and take as many people down as possible
before going.
When everyone is shoveling **** around you, you're gonna stink too,
and that's unfortunate for those who are clean.
Bill C

On Jun 7, 3:43 am, hizark21 <[email protected]> wrote:

> If ASO decides to become a private series of races
> then they need to come up with a uniform standard method for allowing
> teams or excluding them. ASO also needs to publish their procedures
> for choosing teams as well.

I suggest you have it the wrong way around. If the TdF moves
completely outside the bounds of world cycling governance then they
can, and will, invite whomever they please whenever they please.

Apparently that is already reality since 2/3s of last years podium is
being left out of the 2008 race. Unless people stop watching the TdF,
or teams fail to queue up like lemmings for their invites, there will
be no problems for ASO and no reason for ASO leadership to change
their behavior.

You guys seem to be arguing from a basis of "fairness" and "what is
right". None of those trite concepts is in play. This is politics and
power with the doping issue being dramatized and used merely as a
lever to accomplish other objectives.

Already the race has lost something for me and my fandom. Yeah, I'll
still watch the TV coverage at night after my training ride but I
won't be glued to the internet waiting for minute by minute updates
this year to find out whose wheel Cadel sucked to the top of each
mountain top finish.

TIOOYK

Mark