ASO : what the hell are they playing at?

limerickman

Jan 5, 2004
Call me a traditionalist but I like the sport to be kept in the age old format where the TDF is for cyclists and spectators.

In recent years, the ASO has insisted on letting non-entities like Schwartzneger, Williams, Smith and today Cruise and Diaz feature at the end of a TDF stage.

What the hell is going on, letting these assorted wankers anywhere near a stage presentation?

A stage presentatioon should be reserved for guests such as local officials/guest and prizes should be presented by former riders (if necesary).

I wish these assorted wankers would ******** back to America where they belong.
The TDF diminishes itself by indulging these untermenschen.

+1. I also didn't need to see TV coverage of Cruise and Diaz being ferried around the countryside in their limos.

What disappointed me the most was seeing how the cyclists themselves were falling all over these two idiots!

A stage presentatioon should be reserved for guests such as local officials/guest and prizes should be presented by former riders (if necesary).

And podium girls, too.

akrogirl said:
What disappointed me the most was seeing how the cyclists themselves were falling all over these two idiots!

"Hey Tom, what the hell is up with that whole Xenu thing?"

Perhaps the explanation is that Cruise is researching 'Lance Armstrong - the Movie'?

I watched some tour coverage with some new to cycling 'Lance' converts and they were even turned off by seeing these hollow wooden people. I'm sure ASO will wake up and realise the sport is what sells the sport.

steve said:
I watched some tour coverage with some new to cycling 'Lance' converts and they were even turned off by seeing these hollow wooden people. I'm sure ASO will wake up and realise the sport is what sells the sport.

Your joking right? Once they start down that path, it's difficult if not impossible to go back.

Froze said:
Your joking right? Once they start down that path, it's difficult if not impossible to go back.

It appears your missing the point I was making. Even people who have no interest in competing in the sport, and know nothing other than the Lance era, think it is rubbish approach. Anyway that's just my experience, yours might be different.

I logged onto this forum today to express my displeasure about this topic and was delighted to see it already up. Kudos, Limerickman!

Imagine: a hundred or so years of tradition and pageantry... years of hard training and sacrifice by the athletes, staff and families of those involved. Finally, an athlete earns the right to be up on that podium, looks around and finds he is...

...flanked by a living, breathing commercial for some movie. Eeek.

I can understand (but not support) the motive of the slimy marketing departments of the movie studios doing what they did. What I don't understand is, who on the Tour side let them in and why? What in the world does Cruise and Diaz contribute to the Tour? Really, it made me kind of sick to my stomach to see Cruise's cheesy Hollywood smile up there. Diaz didn't sit well with me, either.

Maybe this thread should be renamed to 'The Cheapening of Le Tour"

steve said:
It appears your missing the point I was making. Even people who have no interest in competing in the sport, and know nothing other than the Lance era, think it is rubbish approach. Anyway that's just my experience, yours might be different.

I think that once you fail to take the garbage out, it keeps getting higher and higher and higher till it's so depressing and overwhelming you give up and leave it to pile up. So if the TDF does not take the garbage out in time for next years event...well you get the idea.