Aspartame NOT SAFE !!! NOT A DIET AID !!!

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by Abe, Feb 15, 2004.

  1. Abe

    Abe Guest

    I'm a recently diagnosed Type 2 diabetic and I have been emailed the website below with information
    about Aspartame being not safe. Are there any alternatives that are just as good. I heard of sucrose
    and froctose but dont really understand the afect they have on the BG levels

    http://www.dorway.com/

    Tags:

  2. Colleen

    Colleen Guest

    Aspartame is safe. Sucrose is sugar. Fructose is about the same and the info you were sent is bogus.
    Come to think of it, you could be bogus, too. c

    "Abe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I'm a recently diagnosed Type 2 diabetic and I have been emailed the
    website
    > below with information about Aspartame being not safe. Are there any alternatives that are just as
    > good. I heard of sucrose and froctose but
    dont
    > really understand the afect they have on the BG levels
    >

    > http://www.dorway.com/

  3. Alan

    Alan Guest

    On 15 Feb 2004 12:54:54 -0800, [email protected] (Abe) wrote:

    >I'm a recently diagnosed Type 2 diabetic and I have been emailed the website below with information
    >about Aspartame being not safe. Are there any alternatives that are just as good. I heard of
    >sucrose and froctose but dont really understand the afect they have on the BG levels
    >

    >http://www.betty?.com/

    You will get a lot of responses shortly presuming that you are a shill for spam.

    I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

    Sucrose is plain old sugar, the stuff you put on your coffee.

    Fructose is the sugar that naturally occurs in fruit; it has a similar affect on your BGs as
    sucrose. That is, a piece of fruit will usually send your BGs up significantly. Simplistically, if
    it ends in -ose, it's a sugar.

    The various artificial sweeteners out there might have some negative effects on a small percentage
    of the population. But almost every substance we eat will have a small proportion of the population
    allergic to it in some way. And nearly everything is bad if we eat too much of it. That doesn't make
    it bad for the rest of us who eat sensible amounts of sensible foods.

    For a diabetic, if you wish to eat sweet-tasting foods, it's a lot safer and more sensible to eat
    officially approved artificial sweeteners than anything ending in -ose.

    Cheers Alan, T2, Oz. dx May 2002 , A1C 8.2=>5.8, wt 117kg=>90kg, no meds, diet and not enough
    exercise. I have no medical qualifications beyond my own experience. Choose your advisers carefully,
    because experience can be an expensive teacher.

  4. Cheri

    Cheri Guest

    I'm thinking he's one of the "coven" too.

    --
    Cheri
    Type 2, no meds for now.

    Colleen wrote in message <[email protected]>...
    >Aspartame is safe. Sucrose is sugar. Fructose is about the same and
    the
    >info you were sent is bogus. Come to think of it, you could be bogus,
    too.

  5. Bob Blaylock

    Bob Blaylock Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Alan <[email protected]> wrote:

    > For a diabetic, if you wish to eat sweet-tasting foods, it's a lot safer and more sensible to eat
    > officially approved artificial sweeteners than anything ending in -ose.

    Well, there now is sucralose, AKA Splenda. It's an artifically-modified sugar. It tastes as good
    as real sugar, because it is real sugar, but we don't absorb it into our blood, so it's safe for
    us diabetics.

    --
    I hate spam, but that isn't really part of my email address. Remove the string "HatesSpam" from this
    email address before you use it: [email protected]

    Ever wonder what it'd be like to be a blood-sucking parasite? http://tinyurl.com/7wxk

  6. Julie Bove

    Julie Bove Guest

  7. Colleen

    Colleen Guest

  8. On 15 Feb 2004 12:54:54 -0800, [email protected] (Abe) wrote:

    >I'm a recently diagnosed Type 2 diabetic and I have been emailed the website below with information
    >about Aspartame being not safe. Are there any alternatives that are just as good. I heard of
    >sucrose and froctose but dont really understand the afect they have on the BG levels

    Aspartame does not affect blood sugar levels. Sucrose and fructose do.

    >http://www.dorway.com/

  9. Beav

    Beav Guest

    "Abe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I'm a recently diagnosed Type 2 diabetic and I have been emailed the
    website
    > below with information about Aspartame being not safe. Are there any alternatives that are just as
    > good. I heard of sucrose and froctose but
    dont
    > really understand the afect they have on the BG levels

    I just caught this one.

    Beav

  10. Alan

    Alan Guest

    On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 15:34:41 -0800, Bob Blaylock
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >In article <[email protected]>, Alan <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> For a diabetic, if you wish to eat sweet-tasting foods, it's a lot safer and more sensible to eat
    >> officially approved artificial sweeteners than anything ending in -ose.
    >
    > Well, there now is sucralose, AKA Splenda. It's an artifically-modified sugar. It tastes as good
    > as real sugar, because it is real sugar, but we don't absorb it into our blood, so it's safe for
    > us diabetics.

    Yep, sorry Bob, I stand (or sit) corrected. I was speaking generally and simplistically, because
    that's usually necessary for people who will believe Martini spam. But you are correct.

    Cheers Alan, T2, Oz. dx May 2002 , A1C 8.2=>5.8, wt 117kg=>90kg, no meds, diet and not enough
    exercise. I have no medical qualifications beyond my own experience. Choose your advisers carefully,
    because experience can be an expensive teacher.

  11. Gman99

    Gman99 Guest

    [email protected] (Abe) wrote:
    > I'm a recently diagnosed Type 2 diabetic and I have been emailed the website below with
    > information about Aspartame being not safe. Are there any alternatives that are just as good. I
    > heard of sucrose and froctose but dont really understand the afect they have on the BG levels
    >
    > http://www.dorway.com/

    TROLL !!

  12. Abe

    Abe Guest

    "Colleen" <[email protected]vacy.net> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Aspartame is safe. Sucrose is sugar. Fructose is about the same and the info you were sent is
    > bogus. Come to think of it, you could be bogus, too. c
    >
    > "Abe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > I'm a recently diagnosed Type 2 diabetic and I have been emailed the
    > website
    > > below with information about Aspartame being not safe. Are there any alternatives that are just
    > > as good. I heard of sucrose and froctose but
    > dont
    > > really understand the afect they have on the BG levels
    > >

    > > http://www.dorway.com/

    Thanks for the info. I genuinely thought the information on the website to be true.

  13. "Abe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I'm a recently diagnosed Type 2 diabetic and I have been emailed the
    website
    > below with information about Aspartame being not safe. Are there any alternatives that are just as
    > good. I heard of sucrose and froctose but
    dont
    > really understand the afect they have on the BG levels

    Doe! You found another sock puppet to spew from! Does your mommy know?

    More seriously, folks, "doe" is the author and sock puppet sponser of the www.dorway.com
    website mentioned, which is a bunch of frankly wild lies about aspartame. This stuff dates back
    to Betty Martini, a true nutcase who believes that all brain cancer and cellulite is formed of
    lumps of formaldehyde from breaking down aspartame. (Hint: formaldehyde is water-soluble, it
    doesn't make lumps!)

    There are people aspartame is bad for, namely those with "phenylketonuria". But if you have that,
    you know it or you died soon after birth. Some folks report headache, but that one doesn't show up
    well in double-blind tests, and *no one* has measured the wildly extravagant claims by Betty and
    doe. It's basically silly stuff: hit www.snopes.com for a longer explanation of Betty and her
    disciples' claim to fame.

  14. Alan

    Alan Guest

    On 16 Feb 2004 13:21:21 GMT, [email protected] (gman99) wrote:

    <snip>

    >TROLL !!

    True.

    Most of us managed to get the message across without repeating the troll's message and link.

    Cheers, Alan, T2, Oz.

  15. On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 15:34:41 -0800, Bob Blaylock
    <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Well, there now is sucralose, AKA Splenda. It's an artifically-modified sugar. It tastes as good
    > as real sugar, because it is real sugar, but we don't absorb it into our blood, so it's safe for
    > us diabetics.

    Some people seem to have problems with sucralose, though. In my case, it set off a month-long bout
    of acid-reflux-life symptoms. I'm not 100% certain that it was the sucralose, but there's a good
    corollation between me getting rid of the Splenda, and the symptoms going away several days later. I
    haven't tried taking more Splenda to test if that was the cause, because it's easy enough to avoid
    and I don't want to go through that again if it was ;-)

    Still, for most people, I'm sure it's at least as safe as anything else out there. I certainly liked
    the taste, it just did a number on my stomach...

  16. Guy

    Guy Guest

    On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 13:40:07 -0500, "Nico Kadel-Garcia"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Betty is not nuts. I need to find a cause and solicit money
    from people. Have to have a plausible cause and go full steam on the promotion. You can find a lot
    of disciples. In medical areas it is so common and people still play the fish.

    The worst thing about having diabetes is the constant string of con jobs. A lot of them fall into
    the accepted medical areas.

    Had three incidents today. and the new recording glucometer is not looking so good. As Pogo sez, "I
    have seen the enemy and it is us. Guy

  17. Alan

    Alan Guest

    On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 19:19:12 -0600, Guy <[email protected]> wrote:

    <snip>

    >The worst thing about having diabetes is the constant string of con jobs. A lot of them fall into
    >the accepted medical areas.

    <snip>

    Have to disagree there, Guy. It's one of the major annoyances, but compared to the other things it
    has sent your way, and may come my way, it pales into insignificance.

    That doesn't mean we shouldn't send all the shills and quacks to be the first human test patients
    for all new suggested cures - for all diseases.

    Think of all the mice and lab-rats that would be saved.

    Cheers, Alan, T2, Oz.

  18. Julie Bove

    Julie Bove Guest

    "Nico Kadel-Garcia" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Doe! You found another sock puppet to spew from! Does your mommy know?
    >
    > More seriously, folks, "doe" is the author and sock puppet sponser of the
    <snip> website mentioned, which is a bunch of frankly wild lies
    > about aspartame. This stuff dates back to Betty Martini, a true nutcase
    who
    > believes that all brain cancer and cellulite is formed of lumps of formaldehyde from breaking down
    > aspartame. (Hint: formaldehyde is water-soluble, it doesn't make lumps!)

    <snip>

    Wait a minute! I thought doe was the ironman watchtroll?

    --
    Type 2 http://users.bestweb.net/~jbove/

  19. Hemyd

    Hemyd Guest

    I heard that when Aspartame is used in combination with cyanide it can be very harmful.

    Henry

    "Abe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I'm a recently diagnosed Type 2 diabetic and I have been emailed the
    website
    > below with information about Aspartame being not safe. Are there any alternatives that are just as
    > good. I heard of sucrose and froctose but
    dont
    > really understand the afect they have on the BG levels

  20. T2_lurking

    T2_lurking Guest

    <<snork>> LOL