Aspartame NOT SAFE !!! NOT A DIET AID !!!

Abe

Guest
I'm a recently diagnosed Type 2 diabetic and I have been emailed the website below with information
about Aspartame being not safe. Are there any alternatives that are just as good. I heard of sucrose
and froctose but dont really understand the afect they have on the BG levels

http://www.dorway.com/

Aspartame is safe. Sucrose is sugar. Fructose is about the same and the info you were sent is bogus.
Come to think of it, you could be bogus, too. c

news:[email protected]...

On 15 Feb 2004 12:54:54 -0800, [email protected] (Abe) wrote:

>I'm a recently diagnosed Type 2 diabetic and I have been emailed the website below with information
>about Aspartame being not safe. Are there any alternatives that are just as good. I heard of
>sucrose and froctose but dont really understand the afect they have on the BG levels
>

>http://www.betty?.com/

You will get a lot of responses shortly presuming that you are a shill for spam.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

Sucrose is plain old sugar, the stuff you put on your coffee.

Fructose is the sugar that naturally occurs in fruit; it has a similar affect on your BGs as
sucrose. That is, a piece of fruit will usually send your BGs up significantly. Simplistically, if
it ends in -ose, it's a sugar.

The various artificial sweeteners out there might have some negative effects on a small percentage
of the population. But almost every substance we eat will have a small proportion of the population
allergic to it in some way. And nearly everything is bad if we eat too much of it. That doesn't make
it bad for the rest of us who eat sensible amounts of sensible foods.

For a diabetic, if you wish to eat sweet-tasting foods, it's a lot safer and more sensible to eat
officially approved artificial sweeteners than anything ending in -ose.

Cheers Alan, T2, Oz. dx May 2002 , A1C 8.2=>5.8, wt 117kg=>90kg, no meds, diet and not enough
exercise. I have no medical qualifications beyond my own experience. Choose your advisers carefully,
because experience can be an expensive teacher.

I'm thinking he's one of the "coven" too.

--
Cheri
Type 2, no meds for now.

Alan <[email protected]> wrote:

> For a diabetic, if you wish to eat sweet-tasting foods, it's a lot safer and more sensible to eat
> officially approved artificial sweeteners than anything ending in -ose.

Well, there now is sucralose, AKA Splenda. It's an artifically-modified sugar. It tastes as good
as real sugar, because it is real sugar, but we don't absorb it into our blood, so it's safe for
us diabetics.

--
I hate spam, but that isn't really part of my email address. Remove the string "HatesSpam" from this
email address before you use it: [email protected]

Ever wonder what it'd be like to be a blood-sucking parasite? http://tinyurl.com/7wxk

On 15 Feb 2004 12:54:54 -0800, [email protected] (Abe) wrote:

>I'm a recently diagnosed Type 2 diabetic and I have been emailed the website below with information
>about Aspartame being not safe. Are there any alternatives that are just as good. I heard of
>sucrose and froctose but dont really understand the afect they have on the BG levels

Aspartame does not affect blood sugar levels. Sucrose and fructose do.

>http://www.dorway.com/

"Abe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm a recently diagnosed Type 2 diabetic and I have been emailed the
website
> below with information about Aspartame being not safe. Are there any alternatives that are just as
> good. I heard of sucrose and froctose but
dont
> really understand the afect they have on the BG levels

I just caught this one.

Beav

On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 15:34:41 -0800, Bob Blaylock
<[email protected]> wrote:

>In article <[email protected]>, Alan <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> For a diabetic, if you wish to eat sweet-tasting foods, it's a lot safer and more sensible to eat
>> officially approved artificial sweeteners than anything ending in -ose.
>
> Well, there now is sucralose, AKA Splenda. It's an artifically-modified sugar. It tastes as good
> as real sugar, because it is real sugar, but we don't absorb it into our blood, so it's safe for
> us diabetics.

Yep, sorry Bob, I stand (or sit) corrected. I was speaking generally and simplistically, because
that's usually necessary for people who will believe Martini spam. But you are correct.

[email protected] (Abe) wrote:
> I'm a recently diagnosed Type 2 diabetic and I have been emailed the website below with
> information about Aspartame being not safe. Are there any alternatives that are just as good. I
> heard of sucrose and froctose but dont really understand the afect they have on the BG levels
>
> http://www.dorway.com/

TROLL !!

"Colleen" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Aspartame is safe. Sucrose is sugar. Fructose is about the same and the info you were sent is
> bogus. Come to think of it, you could be bogus, too. c
>
> "Abe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > I'm a recently diagnosed Type 2 diabetic and I have been emailed the
> website
> > below with information about Aspartame being not safe. Are there any alternatives that are just
> > as good. I heard of sucrose and froctose but
> dont
> > really understand the afect they have on the BG levels
> >

> > http://www.dorway.com/

Thanks for the info. I genuinely thought the information on the website to be true.

"Abe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm a recently diagnosed Type 2 diabetic and I have been emailed the
website
> below with information about Aspartame being not safe. Are there any alternatives that are just as
> good. I heard of sucrose and froctose but
dont
> really understand the afect they have on the BG levels

Doe! You found another sock puppet to spew from! Does your mommy know?

More seriously, folks, "doe" is the author and sock puppet sponser of the www.dorway.com
website mentioned, which is a bunch of frankly wild lies about aspartame. This stuff dates back
to Betty Martini, a true nutcase who believes that all brain cancer and cellulite is formed of
lumps of formaldehyde from breaking down aspartame. (Hint: formaldehyde is water-soluble, it
doesn't make lumps!)

There are people aspartame is bad for, namely those with "phenylketonuria". But if you have that,
you know it or you died soon after birth. Some folks report headache, but that one doesn't show up
well in double-blind tests, and *no one* has measured the wildly extravagant claims by Betty and
doe. It's basically silly stuff: hit www.snopes.com for a longer explanation of Betty and her
disciples' claim to fame.

On 16 Feb 2004 13:21:21 GMT, [email protected] (gman99) wrote:

<snip>

>TROLL !!

True.

Most of us managed to get the message across without repeating the troll's message and link.

Cheers, Alan, T2, Oz.

<[email protected]> wrote:
> Well, there now is sucralose, AKA Splenda. It's an artifically-modified sugar. It tastes as good
> as real sugar, because it is real sugar, but we don't absorb it into our blood, so it's safe for
> us diabetics.

Some people seem to have problems with sucralose, though. In my case, it set off a month-long bout
of acid-reflux-life symptoms. I'm not 100% certain that it was the sucralose, but there's a good
corollation between me getting rid of the Splenda, and the symptoms going away several days later. I
haven't tried taking more Splenda to test if that was the cause, because it's easy enough to avoid
and I don't want to go through that again if it was ;-)

Still, for most people, I'm sure it's at least as safe as anything else out there. I certainly liked
the taste, it just did a number on my stomach...

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 13:40:07 -0500, "Nico Kadel-Garcia"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Betty is not nuts. I need to find a cause and solicit money
from people. Have to have a plausible cause and go full steam on the promotion. You can find a lot
of disciples. In medical areas it is so common and people still play the fish.

The worst thing about having diabetes is the constant string of con jobs. A lot of them fall into
the accepted medical areas.

Had three incidents today. and the new recording glucometer is not looking so good. As Pogo sez, "I
have seen the enemy and it is us. Guy

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 19:19:12 -0600, Guy <[email protected]> wrote:

<snip>

>The worst thing about having diabetes is the constant string of con jobs. A lot of them fall into
>the accepted medical areas.

<snip>

Have to disagree there, Guy. It's one of the major annoyances, but compared to the other things it
has sent your way, and may come my way, it pales into insignificance.

That doesn't mean we shouldn't send all the shills and quacks to be the first human test patients
for all new suggested cures - for all diseases.

Think of all the mice and lab-rats that would be saved.

Cheers, Alan, T2, Oz.

"Nico Kadel-Garcia" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Doe! You found another sock puppet to spew from! Does your mommy know?
>
> More seriously, folks, "doe" is the author and sock puppet sponser of the
<snip> website mentioned, which is a bunch of frankly wild lies
> about aspartame. This stuff dates back to Betty Martini, a true nutcase
who
> believes that all brain cancer and cellulite is formed of lumps of formaldehyde from breaking down
> aspartame. (Hint: formaldehyde is water-soluble, it doesn't make lumps!)

<snip>

Wait a minute! I thought doe was the ironman watchtroll?

--
Type 2 http://users.bestweb.net/~jbove/

I heard that when Aspartame is used in combination with cyanide it can be very harmful.

Henry

"Abe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm a recently diagnosed Type 2 diabetic and I have been emailed the
website
> below with information about Aspartame being not safe. Are there any alternatives that are just as
> good. I heard of sucrose and froctose but
dont
> really understand the afect they have on the BG levels

<<snork>> LOL