Asphalt Artwork on the Col du Tourmalet

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Brian, Jul 22, 2003.

  1. Brian

    Brian Guest

    Tags:

  2. Iamn2speed

    Iamn2speed Guest

    I caught that too. Funny thing was the first group of riders went over it, and I asked my wife "Did
    I just see what I thought I saw?" Naww. Then the next group, and I started cracking up. Distasteful,
    yes. Funny? Yeah, that too.

    news:[email protected]...

  3. On 22 Jul 2003 22:40:27 -0700, [email protected] (Brian) wrote:

    >Here's a picture of Sylvain Chavanel crossing the summit first on the Col du Tourmalet in stage 15
    >of the Tour de France.
    >
    > http://2003.tour-de-france.cz/images/foto/21-07-2003/chavanel5clmtop.jpg
    >
    >Anybody else notice the graffiti, or am I the deviant this humor was aimed at?

    I'm curious, what do they use to write on the roads? Paint? Chalk? If it is paint, is it some
    special kind of paint that washes off after a couple of rainfalls?

    J. Spaceman

  4. David

    David Guest

    [email protected] (Brian) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Here's a picture of Sylvain Chavanel crossing the summit first on the Col du Tourmalet in stage 15
    > of the Tour de France.
    >
    > http://2003.tour-de-france.cz/images/foto/21-07-2003/chavanel5clmtop.jpg
    >
    > Anybody else notice the graffiti, or am I the deviant this humor was aimed at?

    Unforntunately, you weren't singled out. I always laugh out loud when I see these. I think it's
    awesome that someone would take the time to draw a giant penis on the road for everyone (including
    live TV) to see!

    You should have seen the one in the 2000 Giro. It was HUGE and went around a switchback, and had
    great TV coverage. Complete hilarity!

    Not gay, David

  5. Dan

    Dan Guest

  6. Nev Shea

    Nev Shea Guest

  7. K. J. Papai

    K. J. Papai Guest

  8. Nev Shea wrote:

    > The deviant humor was supplied by the cameraman who caught DICK Virenque riding over the same
    > thing last year up Mt Ventoux

    I prefered the headline on the race report website from OLN. When Richard Virenque, wearing
    the polka-dot jersey, moved to the front of the peloton, the headline read "Spotted Dick
    Lurches Forward".

  9. Mister Max

    Mister Max Guest

    Jason Spaceman <[email protected]> posted:

    > I'm curious, what do they use to write on the roads? Paint? Chalk? If it is paint, is it some
    > special kind of paint that washes off after a couple of rainfalls?

    It surprised me on Mt Ventoux to see people out some hours before the race with paint rollers and
    cans that open on the side, painting their favorite riders' names. That was in 2000; now they seem
    more sophisticated, with some color painting. The paint does not wash off - you can still see some
    of it from previous years on both the TdeF route and on the route of other local races.
    - Max

    --
    MisterMax Slideshows of Angkor Wat, Bali, Crete, Maui, Malaysia, Morocco, Sicily (new), St Tropez,
    Thailand, Tour de France: http://buten.net/max/ (Yes,RemoveDoubles is part of my email address. The

  10. Joao de Souza wrote in message ...
    >Nev Shea wrote:
    >>
    >> The deviant humor was supplied by the cameraman who caught DICK Virenque riding over the same
    >> thing last year up Mt Ventoux
    >
    >I prefered the headline on the race report website from OLN. When Richard Virenque, wearing the
    >polka-dot jersey, moved to the front of the peloton, the headline read "Spotted Dick Lurches
    >Forward".

    A special treat in the UK.

    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/2249273.stm