aspirin =) ticlopidin

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by Uplbet, Feb 13, 2004.

  1. Uplbet

    Uplbet Guest

    Having a pacemaker and paroxysmal afib, I am on antiarrhytmic drugs
    and on aspirin.
    Now, upon indication of my cardiologist I am about to switch from
    aspirin to ticlopidine.
    Two questions, please:
    1) can I take my first ticlopidine just the day after my last aspirin, or should I better leave some
    day interval? (I forgot to ask my doc about that)
    2) as far as the temporary CBC monitoring required by ticlipidine treatment is concerned, I am
    confused by different indications from different sources: according to some documents I read, the
    first count should be performed "before" treatment is initiated, while according to my doctors, I
    should perform the first count 20 days "after" treatment is initiated: whom should I believe to?

    Thank you in advance

    --
    uplbet
    (in email reply delete 01234 from the address)

    Tags:

  2. uplbet wrote:

    > Having a pacemaker and paroxysmal afib, I am on antiarrhytmic drugs and on aspirin. Now, upon
    > indication of my cardiologist I am about to switch from aspirin to ticlopidine. Two
    > questions, please:
    > 1) can I take my first ticlopidine just the day after my last aspirin, or should I better leave
    > some day interval? (I forgot to ask my doc about that)

    Ticlodipine's side effect profile is quite unfavorable. For this reason, many doctors would favor
    clopidogrel instead of ticlodipine as an aspirin substitute. Would suggest you discuss this with
    your cardiologist.

    > 2) as far as the temporary CBC monitoring required by ticlipidine treatment is concerned, I am
    > confused by different indications from different sources: according to some documents I read,
    > the first count should be performed "before" treatment is initiated, while according to my
    > doctors, I should perform the first count 20 days "after" treatment is initiated: whom should I
    > believe to?

    The baseline should be done to compare with the on-treatment monitoring.

    > Thank you in advance

    You are welcome :)

    Andrew

    --
    Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD
    Board-Certified Cardiologist

    http://makeashorterlink.com/?W1F522557

    What is all this about?
    http://makeashorterlink.com/?T2CA21267

  3. Uplbet

    Uplbet Guest

    On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 22:27:10 GMT, "Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Ticlodipine's side effect profile is quite unfavorable. For this reason, many doctors would favor
    >clopidogrel instead of ticlodipine as an aspirin substitute. Would suggest you discuss this with
    >your cardiologist.

    I'll do that at my next control, scheduled early May. In the meantime, I'll start ticlopidine
    treatment ... and keep my fingers crossed :-(

    >The baseline should be done to compare with the on-treatment monitoring.

    My last yearly analysis of blood (routine check, including emocromo etc) was performed two months
    ago, which I wish can be considered as baseline. Too bad my cardiologist didn't know that ...

    Thanks and best regards
    --

  4. uplbet wrote:

    > On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 22:27:10 GMT, "Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Ticlodipine's side effect profile is quite unfavorable. For this reason, many doctors would favor
    > >clopidogrel instead of ticlodipine as an aspirin substitute. Would suggest you discuss this with
    > >your cardiologist.
    >
    > I'll do that at my next control, scheduled early May. In the meantime, I'll start ticlopidine
    > treatment ... and keep my fingers crossed :-(
    >
    > >The baseline should be done to compare with the on-treatment monitoring.
    >
    > My last yearly analysis of blood (routine check, including emocromo etc) was performed two months
    > ago, which I wish can be considered as baseline. Too bad my cardiologist didn't know that ...

    Why don't you tell him/her?

    > Thanks and best regards

    You are welcome :)

    May God keep you from harm, in Christ's name.

    Andrew