aspirin =) ticlopidin

Uplbet

Guest
Having a pacemaker and paroxysmal afib, I am on antiarrhytmic drugs
and on aspirin.
Now, upon indication of my cardiologist I am about to switch from
aspirin to ticlopidine.
Two questions, please:
1) can I take my first ticlopidine just the day after my last aspirin, or should I better leave some
day interval? (I forgot to ask my doc about that)
2) as far as the temporary CBC monitoring required by ticlipidine treatment is concerned, I am
confused by different indications from different sources: according to some documents I read, the
first count should be performed "before" treatment is initiated, while according to my doctors, I
should perform the first count 20 days "after" treatment is initiated: whom should I believe to?

Thank you in advance

--
uplbet
(in email reply delete 01234 from the address)

uplbet wrote:

> Having a pacemaker and paroxysmal afib, I am on antiarrhytmic drugs and on aspirin. Now, upon
> indication of my cardiologist I am about to switch from aspirin to ticlopidine. Two
> questions, please:
> 1) can I take my first ticlopidine just the day after my last aspirin, or should I better leave
> some day interval? (I forgot to ask my doc about that)

Ticlodipine's side effect profile is quite unfavorable. For this reason, many doctors would favor
clopidogrel instead of ticlodipine as an aspirin substitute. Would suggest you discuss this with
your cardiologist.

> 2) as far as the temporary CBC monitoring required by ticlipidine treatment is concerned, I am
> confused by different indications from different sources: according to some documents I read,
> the first count should be performed "before" treatment is initiated, while according to my
> doctors, I should perform the first count 20 days "after" treatment is initiated: whom should I
> believe to?

The baseline should be done to compare with the on-treatment monitoring.

> Thank you in advance

You are welcome :)

Andrew

--
Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD
Board-Certified Cardiologist

http://makeashorterlink.com/?W1F522557

What is all this about?
http://makeashorterlink.com/?T2CA21267

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 22:27:10 GMT, "Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Ticlodipine's side effect profile is quite unfavorable. For this reason, many doctors would favor
>clopidogrel instead of ticlodipine as an aspirin substitute. Would suggest you discuss this with
>your cardiologist.

I'll do that at my next control, scheduled early May. In the meantime, I'll start ticlopidine
treatment ... and keep my fingers crossed :-(

>The baseline should be done to compare with the on-treatment monitoring.

My last yearly analysis of blood (routine check, including emocromo etc) was performed two months
ago, which I wish can be considered as baseline. Too bad my cardiologist didn't know that ...

Thanks and best regards
--

uplbet wrote:

> On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 22:27:10 GMT, "Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Ticlodipine's side effect profile is quite unfavorable. For this reason, many doctors would favor
> >clopidogrel instead of ticlodipine as an aspirin substitute. Would suggest you discuss this with
> >your cardiologist.
>
> I'll do that at my next control, scheduled early May. In the meantime, I'll start ticlopidine
> treatment ... and keep my fingers crossed :-(
>
> >The baseline should be done to compare with the on-treatment monitoring.
>
> My last yearly analysis of blood (routine check, including emocromo etc) was performed two months
> ago, which I wish can be considered as baseline. Too bad my cardiologist didn't know that ...

Why don't you tell him/her?

> Thanks and best regards

You are welcome :)

May God keep you from harm, in Christ's name.

Andrew